Sunderland AFC U18s

Only two non u18 players in that starting line up if im correct?

You cant take much from the u18 league though, the better players have already been promoted to 21s football at this stage of the season giving the "squad filler" type players an opportunity.
Think truth in both of what’s said , had Derby 1st game of the season in this league and should have won .. some of those players have moved up or gone (Robbo) …yeaterday was still. “Young” team in relation to age I would also agree ..only four 18 players started (second year scholars ).. I think management was different at start of season also .. may be wrong ..

Five second year scholars started I think, jones, Mitchell, creamer, walsh, sekete & then Beattie on as sub. Walsh & Jones 21s next year I understand, don’t know about Mitchell. Adam Asghar was manager at beg of season.
We are producing some cracking players, can only imagine how many more we would have if the catchment area was equivalent to London or North West clubs.
Geography is a big factor. Half our catchment is in the North Sea. In the Midlands you can attract more players at scholar level too - Derby had players who’d come from Spurs, Sheffield United, Notts County, West Brom etc yesterday. Not making excuses, just a fact.

Last edited:
Five second year scholars started I think, jones, Mitchell, creamer, walsh, sekete & then Beattie on as sub. Walsh & Jones 21s next year I understand, don’t know about Mitchell. Adam Asghar was manager at beg of season.

Geography is a big factor. Half our catchment is in the North Sea. In the Midlands you can attract more players at scholar level too - Derby had players who’d come from Spurs, Sheffield United, Notts County, West Brom etc yesterday. Not making excuses, just a fact.

Under 18s football isnt really about results more developmental to prepare them for 21s football. We should be taking a leaf out of the Mags book in terms of recruitment signing kids at 14/15 from lower league academies which in turn will help us counter act the catchment issue. Every few years we have a special group, we had the Embleton, Maja, Asoro group, then the Bali, Sam Greenwood and Dan Neil group and now the Rigg and Young group. If only the parasites didnt sell our assets we could have potentially had a team which included 5/6 academy players.

Speakman needs to get his mackarel rod out and train the ferkers up

Yes, there’s a big difference between creaming off the top of cat 2/3 clubs and signing players released from other cat 1 clubs. Derby have plenty of lower cat clubs around, Newcastle and Boro are cat 1 too so more difficult to poach locally (whatever rod you might use)

Yes, there’s a big difference between creaming off the top of cat 2/3 clubs and signing players released from other cat 1 clubs. Derby have plenty of lower cat clubs around, Newcastle and Boro are cat 1 too so more difficult to poach locally (whatever rod you might use)

We went through a poor stage when we were signing the likes of Sammut and Bainbridge.

Back