Sunderland 1890-1939

I would have preferred following the lads back then, I certainly wouldn’t have had to witness my uncle get kegged on an ALS bus while walking down the aisle to the toilet.

One of my biggest gripes with moving to the SoL and it’s upkeep since is that there is so little recognition of what an illustrious past we’ve had outside and around the place. There’s celebration and recognition of us as underdogs under Stokoe in 73 but so little demonstrating that we were (still are in my eyes) actually a giant.

Names like Gurney, Carter, Mapson, Buchan, Halliday et al should roll off the tongue of every generation coming through. Their triumphs and achievements and therefore the club’s should be far more visible. Stand names are easy enough.
Would the younger fans be interested in the past , I was in the fans museum on Saturday and a lot of younger fans , drinking age didn’t recognise Bobby Kerr

Would the younger fans be interested in the past , I was in the fans museum on Saturday and a lot of younger fans , drinking age didn’t recognise Bobby Kerr

I think this is kind of the point. They should be force fed it like I was! And the club should be part of that.

A good few of the proper club legends were still alive and kicking and making half time appearances when I was younger at half time etc to keep the legend going. None of that now.

I’d have rows of statues and stand names if it was up to me!

Last edited:
I think this is kind of the point. They should be force fed it like I was! And the club should be part of that.

A good few of the proper club legends were still alive and kicking and making half time appearances at half time etc to keep the legend going. None of that now.

I’d have rows of statues and stand names if it was up to me!
Agree, my parents left the north east in the late 60s but we were brought up on Sunderland tales of old , my old man told us stories about Bingham, clough, Hurley and Baxter and then the 73 team , we definitely need to celebrate our past

Back