Sunderland 1890-1939

HitchBerg

Central Defender
Obviously a lot of fans will be aware of this period of time from when we joined the Football League in 1890 up until the outbreak of wwii in 1939.

However a lot might not be aware of what a giant of English football we were.

In those 45 seasons (football was suspended for 4 seasons due to wwi from 1915-1919) we finished in the top 3 on 18 occasions, winning the title 6 times, runners up 5 times.
F.A. Cup record surprisingly was nowhere near as good, winners once, runners up once, beaten semi finalists 5 times.
We were also close to being the first team to win the double in the 20th century, League winners and beaten F.A. Cup finalists in 1912-13.

I wonder if we will ever see such a period again in our history.

Obviously a lot of fans will be aware of this period of time from when we joined the Football League in 1890 up until the outbreak of wwii in 1939.

In those 45 seasons (football was suspended for 4 seasons due to wwi from 1915-1919) we finished in the top 3 on 18 occasions, winning the title 6 times, runners up 5 times.
F.A. Cup record surprisingly was nowhere near as good, winners once, runners up once, beaten semi finalists 5 times.
We were also close to being the first team to win the double in the 20th century, League winners and beaten F.A. Cup finalists in 1912-13.

That’s a very quick answer sadly. We won’t

There’s a YouTube video that has a chart of total league points accumulated in the top flight.

I’m sure that we’re top for quite a while and still in the top five until the end of the 1960s.

@Teed still remembers those days.

There’s a YouTube video that has a chart of total league points accumulated in the top flight.

I’m sure that we’re top for quite a while and still in the top five until the end of the 1960s.
I remember seeing that if the same one?, it quickly flicked through all of the years i remember seeing us quickly sliding down as the 20th Century went on !

And no Oil money in sight.

World Champions too 1895 World Championship (football) - Wikipedia.

I'd be wary of anybody that didn't.

I’m sure at the outbreak of ww2 we were 3rd or 4th most successful club in England. We’d won the league within a couple of years of both wars. It’s the bloody Jormans fault as usual 😂
In terms of League titles, Villa and us were the most successful clubs in the land with six titles each by the outbreak of the war.

I think Villa were probably the most successful club.

Last edited:
One of my biggest gripes with moving to the SoL and it’s upkeep since is that there is so little recognition of what an illustrious past we’ve had outside and around the place. There’s celebration and recognition of us as underdogs under Stokoe in 73 but so little demonstrating that we were (still are in my eyes) actually a giant.

Names like Gurney, Carter, Mapson, Buchan, Halliday et al should roll off the tongue of every generation coming through. Their triumphs and achievements and therefore the club’s should be far more visible. Stand names are easy enough.

Arsenal didn't win a sixth title 'til after the war, surpassing us with a seventh in the 50s.

Man Utd, Liverpool and Everton wouldn't hit six and seven 'til the 60s. It was there for us then - in the 50s and 60s - to be the biggest club in the land. And we ballsed it up.
One of my biggest gripes with moving to the SoL and it’s upkeep since is that there is so little recognition of what an illustrious past we’ve had outside and around the place. There’s celebration and recognition of us as underdogs under Stokoe in 73 but so little demonstrating that we were (still are in my eyes) actually a giant.

Names like Gurney, Carter, Mapson, Buchan, Halliday et al should roll off the tongue of every generation coming through. Their triumphs and achievements and therefore the club’s should be far more visible. Stand names are easy enough.
I think there is stuff about, but I agree, more should be made of it.

Last edited:

Great point, we've a far richer history than we seem to promote and used to have an elite club mentality up until the 50s really when it all went pair shaped and we got found out for doing what everyone else was anyway. (Paying players under the table)
We can but dream though!

Back