Summer of Rockets

The new Stephen Poliakoff thing on BBC2, which means it'll be stylish but ultimately vaguely disappointing. Anyway. watching this tonight and then catching up on The Virtues. Will report if it's any good. Decent cast - Keeley Hawes, Toby Stephens, Timothy Spall, a young lad who throws himself about like a Premier League player at the vaguest hint of his appendix bursting. Set in the cold war, doesn't appear to involve a once stylish hotel that's having issues.

The new Stephen Poliakoff thing on BBC2, which means it'll be stylish but ultimately vaguely disappointing. Anyway. watching this tonight and then catching up on The Virtues. Will report if it's any good. Decent cast - Keeley Hawes, Toby Stephens, Timothy Spall, a young lad who throws himself about like a Premier League player at the vaguest hint of his appendix bursting. Set in the cold war, doesn't appear to involve a once stylish hotel that's having issues.
I'll watch it on catch up. Used to be a big fan and Shooting The Past is still one of my favourite dramas. Seems to have lost his way a bit and I didn't enjoy the last one as much. I'll give anything with Timothy Spall the benefit of the doubt though.

I'll watch it on catch up. Used to be a big fan and Shooting The Past is still one of my favourite dramas. Seems to have lost his way a bit and I didn't enjoy the last one as much. I'll give anything with Timothy Spall the benefit of the doubt though.

Have you seen the state of Timothy Spall now? He's like a different person! Just skin and bone.

Shooting The Past was very, very good and, TBH, I enjoyed Dancing on the Edge (flawed to some degree that it was) but Close to the Enemy was disappointing.

Have you seen the state of Timothy Spall now? He's like a different person! Just skin and bone.

He is really thin.

Last edited:
Shooting The Past was very, very good and, TBH, I enjoyed Dancing on the Edge (flawed to some degree that it was) but Close to the Enemy was disappointing.

He is really thin.
I bought the script as I thought it was a masterclass. Watched it again quite recently and whilst it's a bit dated, it's still excellent.
Agree about Dancing on the Edge. I enjoyed it but I think the cracks began to show and Close to the Enemy wasn't engaging at all.
Tempted to watch Perfect Strangers again as I don't think I've seen it since it first came out.

I bought the script as I thought it was a masterclass. Watched it again quite recently and whilst it's a bit dated, it's still excellent.
Agree about Dancing on the Edge. I enjoyed it but I think the cracks began to show and Close to the Enemy wasn't engaging at all.
Tempted to watch Perfect Strangers again as I don't think I've seen it since it first came out.

I know I've watched Perfect Strangers but I don't remember a lot about it.

No idea how old you are....do you know this from 1983...

Quite enjoyed the first episode. Enough mystery and interesting characters with the usual spying, contrast between the classes, stinted relationships and hints at mental illness.
Don't think he's going to break any new ground but it's promising. Whole box set is on iPlayer so I'll probably race through it.

Watched it all now and enjoyed it. Not without its flaws and far from the standard of Shooting The Past or Perfect Strangers but in a time when the BBC seems to be dumbing down, it was back to what they are good at.

Thought the leap from looking at the picture to finding Anthony was delivered poorly. As a plot device it just about worked but it seemed to come from nowhere. Also the teacher's speech to Sasha about animals felt a little preachy.
Also the comedian bit was good as a plot device but a comedy programme being on in that room appeared forced.

Watched it all now and enjoyed it. Not without its flaws and far from the standard of Shooting The Past or Perfect Strangers but in a time when the BBC seems to be dumbing down, it was back to what they are good at.

Thought the leap from looking at the picture to finding Anthony was delivered poorly. As a plot device it just about worked but it seemed to come from nowhere. Also the teacher's speech to Sasha about animals felt a little preachy.
Also the comedian bit was good as a plot device but a comedy programme being on in that room appeared forced.

I just finished watching it, independently of the broadcast, although on the night it finishes being broadcast. I'd agree with your spoilers, thought it wasvery good though. Some flaws but some terrific performances. Away from the established actors, Lily Sacofsky (Hannah) may have a big future.

I just finished watching it, independently of the broadcast, although on the night it finishes being broadcast. I'd agree with your spoilers, thought it wasvery good though. Some flaws but some terrific performances. Away from the established actors, Lily Sacofsky (Hannah) may have a big future.
I really enjoyed it. I had no idea Timothy Spall could be so creepy. I wonder if, now he's lost some weight, he will be seen in some very different kinds of roles.

I really enjoyed it. I had no idea Timothy Spall could be so creepy. I wonder if, now he's lost some weight, he will be seen in some very different kinds of roles.

Timothy Spall being villainous, but not totally was a revelation. I thought it was well cast and terrifically acted, some plot flaws but worked well. Special mention to Rose Ayling-Ellis, who played Esther, can't remember too many deaf actors having such major TV/film roles (Marlee Matlin apart).

Back