Suicide rates

Tbf, I think for every person disadvantaged by covid, there’s someone who’s benefitting as well. Effectively reduced costs of living have eased financial pressures on many since you can’t actually go anywhere to spend money. There are many advantages to the covid/lockdown lifestyle at least in some peoples eyes, which may outweigh the disadvantages to the lifestyle. Personally I’m saving about £800 a month not paying for transport and accommodation, for instance. So while I sympathise greatly for those impacted negatively, I think the suicide rate will be offset by the benefits to many others.

We could all save money by doing fuck all but what sort of life is that if your happy though fair play...

But this is no existence as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sorry to hear about this mate and hope you doing well. I did see somethong previously that those with depression etc would, in a strange twist, be able to handle this situation better than those flung into chaos for possibly the first time.

Thanks man. That's weirdly accurate, first 6 months weren't too bad at all. "normal" people were losing their shit while I was genuinely enjoying WFH and the like but the strain with family is taking its toll now like.

the hundreds of thousands put on the dole appreciate this 🤷‍♂️

Whats that got to do with it? The threads about suicide rates for the whole country - my point was for everyone disadvantaged by it there’s someone advantaged by it and so it would probably even itself out in terms of a National suicide rate
We could all save money by doing fuck all but what sort of life is that if your happy though fair play...

But this is no existence as far as I'm concerned.

Again, you missed the point completely. My point was that there are as many people in a better position than in a worse position which will have a balancing impact on suicide rates. I’m not saying I’d rather do nowt and save money, I said that it’s a consequence of not having anywhere to go for many people. End of the day it’s a National suicide rate and I think there’s just as many people less likely to commit suicide as there are more likely to. Hence the lack of a demonstrable change in the rate thus far.

Last edited:
Whats that got to do with it? The threads about suicide rates for the whole country - my point was for everyone disadvantaged by it there’s someone advantaged by it and so it would probably even itself out in terms of a National suicide rate

cant see any fucker gaining an advantage from Covid other than the already rich its the normal working person getting shafted

cant see any fucker gaining an advantage from Covid other than the already rich its the normal working person getting shafted
Financially a lot of people have benefitted. As I said, WFH saves an absolute fortune for a lot of people, as does not being able to go out many places. On balance of course that isn’t great, but it is certainly nice in the short term. I know many people where I work that have basically had windfalls due to the WFH savings and decline in expenditure. I feel for anyone who’s lost their jobs, and I do commit a significant portion of my savings to a local food back to help and always have supported them (which should be government funded btw) but the OPs point about suicide rates implied that everyone’s feeling worse about lockdown when many just aren’t.

Even beyond financial there are a lot of positives to come from the covid lifestyle. Shops are less busy, less social pressure to go out, more exercise opportunities, more time at home with the family, less Christmas pressure to do 101 things in December, less pressure to visit everyone over Christmas, more online shopping, etc. - there’s plenty of things that a significant portion of the country will regard as positives.

Financially a lot of people have benefitted. As I said, WFH saves an absolute fortune for a lot of people, as does not being able to go out many places. On balance of course that isn’t great, but it is certainly nice in the short term. I know many people where I work that have basically had windfalls due to the WFH savings and decline in expenditure. I feel for anyone who’s lost their jobs, and I do commit a significant portion of my savings to a local food back to help and always have supported them (which should be government funded btw) but the OPs point about suicide rates implied that everyone’s feeling worse about lockdown when many just aren’t.

Even beyond financial there are a lot of positives to come from the covid lifestyle. Shops are less busy, less social pressure to go out, more exercise opportunities, more time at home with the family, less Christmas pressure to do 101 things in December, less pressure to visit everyone over Christmas, more online shopping, etc. - there’s plenty of things that a significant portion of the country will regard as positives.

i admire your positive approach but living like this is shite absolute shite, i cant stand it and it makes me depressed some days i don't even want to get up

i admire your positive approach but living like this is shite absolute shite, i cant stand it and it makes me depressed some days i don't even want to get up
That’s exactly my point really. It’s better for some and worse for others. Hence the lack of a change in things like the suicide rates. I’m sure everyone would rather be back to normal, but it isn’t all bad for many people. Sorry your having difficulties though, if you ever want to talk to anyone, I’m always happy to listen. I do find being positive about what’s good helps, even if it’s stretching it a bit.

Sorry pal, re-read and realise you were just being analytical ;)

Anyone?

You might want to also pop onto the politics board & Read the Burnley story.
Those old women at the end counting down the days to death, you think that they're just missing the pub :rolleyes:
wtf are you on about ye clown

I said suicide rates dont look to have increased which is good news, despite the fact some loons have been DESPERATE to push this bizzare and disgusting virtue signalling narrative.

Get a strong coffee and 10 minutes at the back door man.

It might not be any different as if you think some people who would have killed themselves due to financial probs in a normal year didnt because they financially benefited from the pandemic this year. Also some who we would class as elderly and vulnerable who might have killled themselves might have been taken by Covid. I've seen loads of inquests reported in the press of suicide heavily influenced by covid and lockdown but as with many things is it suicide by covid or with covid
A suicide is a suicide quaker

wtf are you on about ye clown

I said suicide rates dont look to have increased which is good news, despite the fact some loons have been DESPERATE to push this bizzare and disgusting virtue signalling narrative.

Get a strong coffee and 10 minutes at the back door man.

Your attitude during this whole thing is shocking man. Constantly labelling everyone who doesn't share your warped view as just missing the pubs
Although that doesnt suit the narrative of “lOcKDoWn iS kIlLinG mOrE pEoPle ThAn CoViD” that a few lunatics have been pushing since March for some odd reason.

This is what you said. We've had someone died cos of lockdown

Last edited:

Back