Subsidence in Fulwell

Sink holes opening I would bet due to the porous limestone erosion that been going on for years.....I've looked into a lot of them, Dacre Avenue side down to the seafront

Sink holes opening I would bet due to the porous limestone erosion that been going on for years.....I've looked into a lot of them, Dacre Avenue side down to the seafront

“A hole has appeared and we have a team of engineers looking into it”.

Sooo much wrong with that article. Okay, it sounds like the poor child has an unfortunate condition, but two litres of water isn’t difficult to buy in this day and age.

Emergency services evacuated neighbouring properties and closed the road for a number of hours, while they worked to make sure other properties in the street were not affected by the subsidence.

Not entirely possible without significant earthworks, depending on the nature of the fault.

Happened to us when we lived in Fulwell. Burst pipe up the road eroded under the drive. Fortunately car was not on it. Next door's house was badly damaged when they got a hot tub delivered by a crane to hoist it over the house. Weight of it all opened it up and the crane arm sliced through the house. Luckily no one was hurt.

“A hole has appeared and we have a team of engineers looking into it”.

Sooo much wrong with that article. Okay, it sounds like the poor child has an unfortunate condition, but two litres of water isn’t difficult to buy in this day and age.

At least they don’t have to walk 5 miles for it.
I don’t get why she says it has to be fresh water, I’d have thought that’s pretty obvious.
Although the bottles say still water, not fresh still water, it can be confusing I suppose.

Happened to us when we lived in Fulwell. Burst pipe up the road eroded under the drive. Fortunately car was not on it. Next door's house was badly damaged when they got a hot tub delivered by a crane to hoist it over the house. Weight of it all opened it up and the crane arm sliced through the house. Luckily no one was hurt.
I remember seeing that from Newcastle Road. :lol:

Always thought that was just down to bad cranemanship, thanks for clearing that up. The top half of the house was covered in blue plastic for a while iirc

Last edited:
We lived 3 doors away and moved out 2008, only liked it up there for a year or two and then couldn’t get away quick enough. Neighbour was a mouthy little fucker with a limp.
Limpy mouthy little fucker. Another way to describe him. It's yours if you want it.

Always thought that was just down to bad cranemanship, thanks for clearing that up. The top half of the house was covered in blue plastic for a while iirc

I think the people who it happened to had a bit of a disagreement with the insurance company as to how the property should have been restored, and that's why the repairs took so long.

Back