Stuart Broad on the sky soccer special panel..

Interesting. For most part if seems you have to have to played at a certain level top be a pundit on sky, Broad showing that regardless of having played it's about knowledge and ability to articulate.

Theres numerous pundits, both me and women, currently employed by sky who are woefully below par.
i feel - in general - ex pros rely on their playing career and don't actually provide much insight. The non-players are often a lot better

Refreshing especially when you had Pardew next to him calling Broady by his dads name and getting all the other panellists name pronunciations wrong too. He always looks like he is sucking a peach that fella.

I always find cricket punditry/commentary is far better than footballing equivalent and they’re all ex pros. Didn’t expect an ex cricketer to be a better footy pundit as well mind.

Some of TMS’ best commentators didn’t play cricket professionally at all. Brian Johnston, Blowers, CMJ, John Arlott (think he might have been 12th man by accident for one 1st class fixture) all journalists / broadcasters by profession.

My theory on this is that it goes on far longer, so they simply get more practice in their craft, and there’s a lull between each ball that they need to colour in. Overall produces better broadcasters.

Last edited:
Sounds like when Sky had a load of 'celebs' on to give their predictions for a big fight a few years back and when Joe Cole was asked for his insight it was obvious within 30 seconds that he was more clued up than most of the boxing pundits they actually employed at the time.
It's been all downhill since Paul Dempsey and Ian Darke stopped doing the boxing on Sky.

Back