Strollers v Harriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletch

Striker
often wonder why there are two running clubs in sunderland (yes I know there's also the seafront smilers and sun city tri, and possibly others), but both clubs seem to have high numbers and have groups for differing abilities, just wondering what makes runners choose one club in preference to the other ?

Any posters who are members of either feel free to reply...

not a member off any but going to join one our the other in the new year, so anyone with experiance of the 2 groups i would love to hear what you think of them.

whilst i thought the harriers were more for racing whippets than the more sociable strollers, the latters ken maynard seems nails in this winters NYM fell race series.

Not sure about sunderland specifically but I think in general the harrier groups have more of a focus on track running . . .though some serious athletes run for non harrier clubs. . .had the privilege to watch Aly Dixon ( sunderland stroller) win the women's cross country at wallington on Saturday by some distance . . .despite starting 5 mins behind the first lot out :eek:

there are a couple who post on here in the running clubs mate, and offer good advice when needed, i'm just curious as to why they joined their respective clubs and not the alternative

Harriers in my experience are generally more dedicated to racing, whilst there are quite a number of members of the Strollers and others who are also serious runners/racers, their clubs also seem to have a more 'sociable' aspect and are probably a little more welcoming to the less dedicated running enthusiast. Lad from work asked me to come along to train with the Harriers a couple of years back, their weeknight sessions are typically about an hour and average about a six minute mile iirc and that was towards the back of the group. If your pace isn't up to that you'd probably be better off with a club like the Strollers IMHO.

Last time I saw them out was down Roker where they completely blitzed the top Sun City Triatholopes, who were evidently out also training. Lolz.

imo neither is 'better' just a bit different that's all. As a general rule the harriers have faster men and the strollers have faster woman over the traditional road running distances. (obviously there are exceptions to each group) Strollers have a fair amount of people who do ultras / adventure races / fell races etc where the harriers do not. Harriers have junior sections and also do track races - strollers do not (strollers tend to run for S.Shields for track races). Main difference for me is the social side. Strollers was formed approx 30yrs ago by a group of rugby players who wanted to keep fit during their off season. That team ethic, all for one one for all approach and social side that you get with rugby teams is still present at the strollers. Most of the harriers 'seem' very much individuals (sorry if that's unfair but that's just how it seems) You go to something like a team relay race and there will be all the strollers not running and supporting and clapping each other on where the harriers seem to run their race and go home. Harriers have 2 official training sessions per week - tues / thurs. Strollers have the main one on a wed but have club runs on mon, fri and sun also. Both clubs are good, offer experienced advise and training and you will improve by joining either. Its just a question of choice really.

Peterlee has started one up this year, slowing growing in number. Ranges from6-10 there at the moment. I have seen about 20 different faces there but then you have the lads like me who work shifts who can only make once a fortnight. I like it for the social side, nice to meet some new people with the same hobby. Made a few new mates who I sometimes go out running with away from the club now, we also do park race together and various Sunday races around the region

https://www.facebook.com/groups/509915345725518/

whilst i thought the harriers were more for racing whippets than the more sociable strollers, the latters ken maynard seems nails in this winters NYM fell race series.
He is crazy[DOUBLEPOST=1387829014][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm serious about running (well sort of). I'm serious a out drinking. Joined strollers because I knew a couple of people. Highly competitive club with loads of friendly folk. if it wasn't for strollers I wouldn't be doing ultra marathons (any distance more than a marathon) nor would I have met some good friends. I know a couple of Harriers and they're utter tossers. . Only joking, Archie has it spot on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back