Stocks n Shares ISA

Baillie Gifford are the hot fund management company at present.

Their European and US funds are top performers this FY.

Take care chasing performance as the inevitable market corrections combined with entry fees can blunt performance.

Enormous fund which poses interesting challenges for Terry and the lads.
I've had 30% growth out of Fundsmith UK Growth funds during the pandemic

It’s not wrong in any way I’ve said numerous times it’s based on basic rate taxpayer on the way in and the way out. I never advocated an isa instead of a pension, but alongside a pension it’s much more flexible if you want to retire or semi-retire before you are 57/58 or whatever the pension age is when you get there.
I agree with you there probably should be mixture of wrappers, I’ve also said the taxation bit isn’t wrong either, but what I’m very sure about, is that people shouldn’t read your post & take it as guide to their taxation needs.

Individual circumstances mean there’s different options for different income at certain ages. For instance, I hope to sell a business when I retire, that’ll be taxed at 10% entrepreneurs relief. Hypothetically, I might never need to draw on my pension. Let’s just say I’ve put £400k into my pension, £500k is actually there. I die before 75, my family get £500k tax free, as opposed to the £400k in the ISA. That’s ignoring IHT issues, which we’d all be in a lucky position for it to be a problem.

As I said, info you provided isn’t incorrect, but it’s dangerous for anyone to take it & apply it to their own circumstances. Everyone needs a plan reflecting their circumstances.

I agree with you there probably should be mixture of wrappers, I’ve also said the taxation bit isn’t wrong either, but what I’m very sure about, is that people shouldn’t read your post & take it as guide to their taxation needs.

Individual circumstances mean there’s different options for different income at certain ages. For instance, I hope to sell a business when I retire, that’ll be taxed at 10% entrepreneurs relief. Hypothetically, I might never need to draw on my pension. Let’s just say I’ve put £400k into my pension, £500k is actually there. I die before 75, my family get £500k tax free, as opposed to the £400k in the ISA. That’s ignoring IHT issues, which we’d all be in a lucky position for it to be a problem.

As I said, info you provided isn’t incorrect, but it’s dangerous for anyone to take it & apply it to their own circumstances. Everyone needs a plan reflecting their circumstances.
My original response was to the op when he said it was just like a pension without the tax relief. I’m not qualified to give financial advice, I was just chatting on a message board. A poster started giving incorrect information and I got drawn in. Anyway I agree with what you say people need proper financial advice not taking advice from random strangers on a message board.

My original response was to the op when he said it was just like a pension without the tax relief. I’m not qualified to give financial advice, I was just chatting on a message board. A poster started giving incorrect information and I got drawn in. Anyway I agree with what you say people need proper financial advice not taking advice from random strangers on a message board.
As I said, nowt wrong with what you said, more a warning for others not to take other people’s circumstances & replicate them. It might work out 9/10, but the one time there’s a issue, it might be costly.

had quick look at these vanguard stock n shares ISAs , as say never had one before.

Noticed the lifestrategy funds where you don't need to select the investments yourself , which is good news for people like myself.
they have different options of shares:bonds (I'm assuming bonds are less risk/less reward than shares), starting at a safe mix of 20:80 of shares:bonds , then 40:60, 60:40, 80:20 and going up to 100% shares. With 60:40 (shares:bonds) seemingly in the middle of the range.
this would only be for about 7-8 year then prob need access to it .
If I stuck a lumpa into the 60:40 to open it and then started to pay in a monthly contribution over the next couple years , as get closer to retirement can you then ask for the mix to be changed to a safer one ? unsure how it works , or are you stuck with the 60:40 initial option , or whatever option you choose from the start .

Yes, you can change between funds. Typically you would start with a 100 and 80 fund when you are a young-un and then decrease as you get closer to retirement.

A good introduction video here:

This talks about buying from Vanguard direct but you can also get the funds - and many more - on other platforms. I use Hargreaves Landsdown.

Yes, you can change between funds. Typically you would start with a 100 and 80 fund when you are a young-un and then decrease as you get closer to retirement.

This talks about buying from Vanguard direct but you can also get the funds - and many more - on other platforms. I use Hargreaves Landsdown.
Tbh if you're a long way off retirement I'd go for 100% equities, not sure I'd want the bonds

will have a look later mate, cheers

As I said, nowt wrong with what you said, more a warning for others not to take other people’s circumstances & replicate them. It might work out 9/10, but the one time there’s a issue, it might be costly.
Quick question: I have a dormant private pension (A) that grows (or sometimes shrinks) very little mostly due to the charges, I think. I fancy opening a SIPP with charges only £50 a year (B) . Do I need to transfer from A to B or can I leave A (as the final bonus is substantial part of plan & as a benchmark for me) and also have B which will be getting all new funding?

I
With bank accounts earning F.A interest now and losing value do many On here bother with shares ISAs ?
Never had one so don’t know much about them
I have several.
The easiest and cheapest one to invest in is a tracker of the ftse100 or 250. Any tracker come to that.
Savings isa and savings bank acct are useless and with neg interest rates a possibility a rip off.

I

I have several.
The easiest and cheapest one to invest in is a tracker of the ftse100 or 250. Any tracker come to that.
Savings isa and savings bank acct are useless and with neg interest rates a possibility a rip off.

Do you alternate between topping them on a yearly basis or just let them grow as they are.

I only ask because I opened a vanguard 80% (my first stocks and shares isa) with a monthly payment into it but read you can't fund more than one s&s isa in the same tax year.

Do you alternate between topping them on a yearly basis or just let them grow as they are.

I only ask because I opened a vanguard 80% (my first stocks and shares isa) with a monthly payment into it but read you can't fund more than one s&s isa in the same tax year.
There’s a few different ISAs you can fund, cash, stocks & shares & lifetime, up to the combined value of £20k. You’ll be able to do a different investment within Vanguard, as long as it’s within the ISA wrapper. The ISA is restricted, not the investment.

Hopefully that makes sense!

There’s a few different ISAs you can fund, cash, stocks & shares & lifetime, up to the combined value of £20k. You’ll be able to do a different investment within Vanguard, as long as it’s within the ISA wrapper. The ISA is restricted, not the investment.

Hopefully that makes sense!

That does thanks mate.

I've had 30% growth out of Fundsmith UK Growth funds during the pandemic

I've had some decent growth during this FY.

The best UK smaller companies funds are buoyant.

Technology is going like a train.

Fundsmith is solid but their equity fund is worryingly big, principally due to its consistently solid performance.

I've had some decent growth during this FY.

The best UK smaller companies funds are buoyant.

Technology is going like a train.

Fundsmith is solid but their equity fund is worryingly big, principally due to its consistently solid performance.
I'm probably looking at taking a profit (same as I did from Baillie Gifford American) and putting the money across some more secure investments for the kids, including some easy access accounts - as soon as I have the mortgage paid off and university fees squirreled away for the 3 kids I'll have one eye on retirement (I have two final salary pensions and a couple of others to look forward two when I'm older)

Any tips on childrens investments are always welcomed.

Any tips on childrens investments are always welcomed.
Could always look at a children’s pension for them. Get them off to a good start. However whilst I want to help my kids, I don’t want to hand them it on a plate.

Junior ISA is another option, but that money becomes legally theres at 18, imagine if a bairn grows up to be a wrong’un & has access to it.

Or, just use another ISA & you control it.

The access to the investments are all there, it’s just which vehicle/wrapper you use.

Could always look at a children’s pension for them. Get them off to a good start. However whilst I want to help my kids, I don’t want to hand them it on a plate.

Junior ISA is another option, but that money becomes legally theres at 18, imagine if a bairn grows up to be a wrong’un & has access to it.

The access to the investments are all there, it’s just which vehicle/wrapper you use.

Yeah we put the kids savings into our ISA using our allowance as we will never use the full £20k. Juniors ISA don’t give any much in the way of interest plus as you say they get it no questions asked when they are 18.

I am looking to into setting up a pension for them if I can afford as the following link was quite compelling (albeit does not consider inflation) plus it means what they earn they can spend on themselves with the pension ticking away in the background.

Both of those don’t give easy access and in the case of a pension doesn’t help with university

Back