Stitching panoramas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think MF is out of my price range.

I've been thinking of upgrading to this Sony A7R which is reputed to be the best landscape camera before the jump up to MF. Shooting at either 35 or 50mm in portrait orientation around the lenses nodal point. I guess that will be my best option for now.

I can sell my 6D for £700+ these A7R's are £1150 from panamoz so it would cost me £450 ish.
Not bad, but I can tell you have an itch that you'll eventually need to scratch

Do it before you have sproglets ;)

you're right I do but its a big chunk of cash. Check out this A7R vs a pentax 645D. Two thirds down the page

http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera-reviews/sony/a7r/#IQC
I tested a pentax 645d and it was fooking shite mind

Dunno who made the sensor for it. This was why I was so skeptical about Phase for a few years. Then I actually saw the detail corno was getting from his p45 and was astounded

Bought a p25+ expecting to have to upgrade quickly to p45, and never have felt the need

I tested a pentax 645d and it was fooking shite mind

Dunno who made the sensor for it. This was why I was so skeptical about Phase for a few years. Then I actually saw the detail corno was getting from his p45 and was astounded

Bought a p25+ expecting to have to upgrade quickly to p45, and never have felt the need
oh :lol:

when it comes to MF, what the point in the body? Lens, I understand you get good and bad glass. Backs, I understand that the brain, sensor etc. But is the body simply where the buttons are positioned? Doesn't seem that important!

That was the reaction of the dealer when I sent him the tiffs from the pentax, and comparison to film shots I took from the same tripod

That was the reaction of the dealer when I sent him the tiffs from the pentax, and comparison to film shots I took from the same tripod
I'm very glad I didn't go down the pentax route, as that would have meant stitching too

oh :lol:

when it comes to MF, what the point in the body? Lens, I understand you get good and bad glass. Backs, I understand that the brain, sensor etc. But is the body simply where the buttons are positioned? Doesn't seem that important!
The body contains all your movements innit

Just a lump of metal yes, but has to be precisely engineered

No buttons. You could glue a fake one on if you wanted ;)

Here we are talking about technical cameras, not quite the same as MF, but I presume this is what you mean

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm very glad I didn't go down the pentax route, as that would have meant stitching too

The body contains all your movements innit

Just a lump of metal yes, but has to be precisely engineered

No buttons. You could glue a fake one on if you wanted ;)

Here we are talking about technical cameras, not quite the same as MF, but I presume this is what you mean
I was thinking along the lines of a phase one. It resembles a camera as we all know.

where as something like this makes nee sense to me
http://www.photigy.com/canon-5d-mar...oes-a-physical-sensor-size-make-a-difference/

Imagine i was to buy a 24mm tilt shift lens for pano's. Simply set my camera up in landscape orientation and took 3 picutres (-12, 0, +12 shift) would I get parallax issues? I'm guessing so?!

Also, is there a way of working out what aspect ratio that would give? I do like 6 x 17, I have to say.

Parallax is only an issue when you have stuff in the near foreground aligned with stuff in the background. I've taken plenty handheld stitched stuff outside with no problems whatsoever. Indoors, not a chance of getting it to work properly without a pano head.
(align a finger stretched out with something in front of you and alternately shut each eye and it will leap across the background. Now try the same but instead of your finger use a lampost or something more distant it will barely move across the background)

Not really, sounds about 2:1 to me ross

On a wide lens like that you're always gonna get distortion at the top and bottom of the stitch, obviously a longer lens is better. You move the lens, you get problems

True, but software can fix that no problem. I shoot the majority of my stitched stuff with 8mm or 10mm lenses! (crop body)

Parallax is only an issue when you have stuff in the near foreground aligned with stuff in the background. I've taken plenty handheld stitched stuff outside with no problems whatsoever. Indoors, not a chance of getting it to work properly without a pano head.
(align a finger stretched out with something in front of you and alternately shut each eye and it will leap across the background. Now try the same but instead of your finger use a lampost or something more distant it will barely move across the background)

True, but software can fix that no problem. I shoot the majority of my stitched stuff with 8mm or 10mm lenses! (crop body)
Of course it's a problem. Foregrounds are distorted, and you cannot compose properly. You'll never persuade me that I could use a moving lens, soz

I meant to body he's connected it to. Looks like a chuffing accordion
Looks better than any placca Japanese shite ;)

Unless you're Marty Feldman the human eyes see one view at a time. This is my issue with moving lens pans

Great for what you do rodge, not for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course it's a problem. Foregrounds are distorted, and you cannot compose properly. You'll never persuade me that I could use a moving lens, soz

I'm not trying to persuade you. You have already spunked thousands on your gear so of course you are going to justify it. ;)

But I am sure Ross will be interested in saving a few grand

I'm not trying to persuade you. You have already spunked thousands on your gear so of course you are going to justify it. ;)

But I am sure Ross will be interested in saving a few grand
Ross wants to shoot fine art landscapes I fink. I may be wrong

Ross wants to shoot fine art landscapes I fink. I may be wrong
If money was no object I'd go for a MF and sliding back in an instant, sadly I just do this for enjoyment, don't make any cash and can't justify the price ATM.

hew while i've got you both here, just me your opinion. Reckon I've taken the processing too far on this?

Logon or register to see this image
Durham Cathedral by oROSSo, on Flickr

Last edited:
If money was no object I'd go for a MF and sliding back in an instant, sadly I just do this for enjoyment, don't make any cash and can't justify the price ATM.

hew while i've got you both here, just me your opinion. Reckon I've taken the processing too far on this?

Logon or register to see this image
Durham Cathedral by oROSSo, on Flickr
Canny, just that old building in the background spoiling it

thats my most bestest building in the whole wide world
Foreground obv a bit bright, but not extreme by today's standards ;)

Could have done with more contrast in the grass

Nice cloud 'motif'

I like using motif in relation to clouds, lovely and pretentious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back