Steph Houghton retiring

Aye
She’s a legend.

Her husband has motor neurone disease, hope they enjoy their (more time) together
Yesh good luck to her and husband. Real shame she missed out on the euro glory after being a pioneer for the womens game.
Well said lads.

Good luck to the lass. She's been a credit to the game and of course, the area.

Yesh good luck to her and husband. Real shame she missed out on the euro glory after being a pioneer for the womens game.
I thought she was discarded by England way too early. She recovered from injury and should have been back in the squad.

The biggest compliment I can give her is she had the skill, stamina, strength and technique to compete at the very top. She was a natural leader who was head and shoulders above most of her English defensive peers. Only Lucy Bronze came close IMO.

That's from someone who isn't really a fan of the women's game but I saw her play a couple of times and I know a player when I see one.

Enjoy your retirement Steph.

I think ultimately she'll go into management.

Listened to her on Radio 5 the other week, her analysis of the game is excellent.

My only issue is how the media pronounce Houghton!

A great ambassador for our club, well presented, determined and been through the development years...I hope she gets a decent testimonial with her SAFC club members which would shock many when they se where she and they started their careers in earnest.

I worked with her mam for years and know she comes from a fantastic family.

Good luck to her.

Horton :oops:

I live in Westhoughton. It's pronounced Horton. not West-Howton. Although interestingly, one nickname for Westhoughton folks is "Howfeners".
Haughton near Darlo is also pronounced Horton.

I've never heard her called Steph "Howton".

All that aside, she lives not far from me I believe.
I hope she and her husband enjoy her retirement and they have many years together.
In time, it would be great if she was an ambassador for our club, but I suspect she'll stay at City.

I live in Westhoughton. It's pronounced Horton. not West-Howton. Although interestingly, one nickname for Westhoughton folks is "Howfeners".
Haughton near Darlo is also pronounced Horton.

I've never heard her called Steph "Howton".

All that aside, she lives not far from me I believe.
I hope she and her husband enjoy her retirement and they have many years together.
In time, it would be great if she was an ambassador for our club, but I suspect she'll stay at City.
The media started off calling her Howton, somebody must have pulled them on it and now they call her Hawton. f***ing hell it's not difficult to say Hoe Ton. Mind you these are the same people who say Sanderland and Noocarsool.

Back