Starter DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have just started getting into photography as a hobby and have purchased this, I must say I am very happy with it.

Also you can use the old Minolta, Sigma AF lenses which is handy as these are cheap.

Shed7 and Clyde both use Sony camera's so will be along to give better advice and recommendations than I can.

I have just started getting into photography as a hobby and have purchased this, I must say I am very happy with it.

Also you can use the old Minolta, Sigma AF lenses which is handy as these are cheap.

Shed7 and Clyde both use Sony camera's so will be along to give better advice and recommendations than I can.

Cheers marra!

Don't know whether you've bought this already, but one thing to take note with the Sony's is that you don't have much scope for upgrading lenses. A Canon or a Nikon would be more versatile in the long-run, as there is simply more kit for them. New hardware usually fits old hardware. It's usually the lens as well that makes the biggest difference.

Don't know whether you've bought this already, but one thing to take note with the Sony's is that you don't have much scope for upgrading lenses. A Canon or a Nikon would be more versatile in the long-run, as there is simply more kit for them. New hardware usually fits old hardware. It's usually the lens as well that makes the biggest difference.

you do realise that sony bought out minolta dont ya?

i wouldn't take much notice of that above, there is plenty of good lenses out there for sony dslr's, whether they be old minolta kit, new sony or tamron, sigma etc.

i wouldn't take much notice of that above, there is plenty of good lenses out there for sony dslr's, whether they be old minolta kit, new sony or tamron, sigma etc.

I'll second this. Loads of gear available for Sony dSLR cameras. Sony seem to bee very serious about the Photography market and I'm noticing more and more people with serious Sony kit. You'll have absolutely no trouble getting any gear that you could ever possibly want for a Sony.

I'll second this. Loads of gear available for Sony dSLR cameras. Sony seem to bee very serious about the Photography market and I'm noticing more and more people with serious Sony kit. You'll have absolutely no trouble getting any gear that you could ever possibly want for a Sony.

exactly mate!

sony are deadly serious with there photography gear and are constantly pushing canon & nikon these days, & as a matter of fact sony even make the sensor's for canon & nikon camera's.

Just making a point that there are more options out there. The Canons and Nikons are better documented for more information, especially for learning (he said his son was studying it at Uni). The second hand market for them is much, much bigger as well, making it easier to buy and sell when the time comes. It's just worth taking note of that's all.

Just making a point that there are more options out there. The Canons and Nikons are better documented for more information, especially for learning (he said his son was studying it at Uni). The second hand market for them is much, much bigger as well, making it easier to buy and sell when the time comes. It's just worth taking note of that's all.

I understand where you're coming from, but there's really not that much in it any more. Sony are catching up very fast. I was always planning to switch to a Canon or Nikon once I'd got past being a beginner but, to be honest, I don't really feel the need to any more.

I had a dodge into Jessops and had a word with one of the staff. He did indeed tell me that Sony had bought out Minolta and that there were plenty of good / inexpensive lenses that would fit the Sony .So there we have it. It's ordered and the lad picks it up from the Brighton shop on Tuesday ! £329 with a tripod hoyed in !

I had a dodge into Jessops and had a word with one of the staff. He did indeed tell me that Sony had bought out Minolta and that there were plenty of good / inexpensive lenses that would fit the Sony .So there we have it. It's ordered and the lad picks it up from the Brighton shop on Tuesday ! £329 with a tripod hoyed in !

exactly the deal i got, they will also a deal for a top bad, memory card and uv filter aswell for a fraction of the normal cost.

i got that too

been out tonight messing about with it and am loving it.

well done mate, its a cracking price that for a pretty good camera, i'm sure your son will like it.

you can often pick up the old lenses for quite cheap on ebay, have a search for minolta 7000, 5000 etc and see what turns up, also have a look here for lens reviews and compatability, its a class site

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

well done mate, its a cracking price that for a pretty good camera, i'm sure your son will like it.

you can often pick up the old lenses for quite cheap on ebay, have a search for minolta 7000, 5000 etc and see what turns up, also have a look here for lens reviews and compatability, its a class site

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

speaking of lenses Clyde, what range of lenses should i get?

have an 100-300 on the way, what else is there to consider, maybe a macro lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back