Star Wars - The Last Jedi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I rest my case :)

I remember you saying you really enjoyed it. To be fair, you did say something about lens flair and some stupid elements like.

To me though, if you can watch something at the cinema and really enjoy it, then it's done it's job. Avatar is probably the greatest example of this ever.

This is going to be the brick argument all over again isn't it? ;)
Whoosh? No idea what you mean mate.

I remember you saying you really enjoyed it. To be fair, you did say something about lens flair and some stupid elements like.

To me though, if you can watch something at the cinema and really enjoy it, then it's done it's job. Avatar is probably the greatest example of this ever.
Aye, that quote was above. I was properly excited for the film - first star wars in 10 years, Imax, what's not to love.
Oh, the storyline plot holes. Damn.

I loved Avatar at the Imax too - it was breathtaking. On re-watch though, shite.

The 3D was out of this world. Well, sort of the opposite actually. It was a technical marvel. Then every fucker milked the format to death. Bastards.

It looked superb, the only 3d film that hasn't just distracted me. Only one I've seen on the IMAX screen thought tbf.

I think its more that Star Wars films were hugely special. There were the original 3, and that was it for about 20 years.
Then a new set were made, and the buzz was gigantic. They were ok imo, although I accept lots of people disagree.
But they were still "special" because there was only 6.

I don't think anything can ever be special like the first 3 were, especially to adults.

At the time the first 3 were released, there was not a massive amount of Science Fiction around. Star Trek had been and gone a while ago, to us Britts there was Doctor Who. When Lucas was trying to pitch it for funding he was told that people were just not as interested in Space any more. The fuss of the moon landings had died down years before, they just didn't think it was a market. Then they found out that it was not orientated around a future earth and tried to get Lucas to change it. He insisted that it has to be a long time ago in a galaxy far away. He wanted to make an entire new reality with droids, light sabres, JEDI and X-wings.

To a child in the late 70s, early 80s, that was an amazing fantasy world. There was nothing quite like it to indulge yourself in and no immersive computer games. Many of us chatting on this thread grew up with that, wearing one glove in the school yard to be like Luke, pretending to wield a light sabre etc. Then came the toys and nobody had ever really done the toys to go with films before, and something that was really a success was that the baddies were pretty cool too. As a kid, I loved Vader, storm troopers and TIE fighters. If 3 films set the tone for my childhood, it was these three.

For kids these days, there is so much science fiction, computer games and all sorts around that it is very hard for any film to be the one big thing that lasts more than a few months. I don't think anything will ever be quite so unique and special as what Star Wars was to us back then. As adults, life has other priorities, worries, fantasies etc that they will never feel quite as special to adults either.

I know I have generally waited until early January to see the films. The few times I have been to see other films just before Christmas, parking is a nightmare because of christmas shopping, the place is usually packed and there is always a few people either chatting through or are up and down every 2 minutes. I'm just too grumpy and wait for it to be quiet. That means it does not have the special feeling from the off. Yeah I want to see it, but I can wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back