Stained glass windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been in Palma Cathedral and the light coming through the stained glass looks tremendous. Took a couple of photos on the auto setting and they look ok but not brilliant. How can I get the full effect? I just have a Panasonic lumix.

Just been in Palma Cathedral and the light coming through the stained glass looks tremendous. Took a couple of photos on the auto setting and they look ok but not brilliant. How can I get the full effect? I just have a Panasonic lumix.
Without posting one or two its impossible to say.

I'll try but the Internet connection here is ropey. I'm a photography novice so I'm a bit clueless.

What's wrong with them? Are they too bright and therefore losing all the colour and detail, or are they fine but the rest of the church really dark?

I am guessing it's overexposed? Try turning the flash off and use exposure compensation (dial on the back if owt like my GF2) to reduce exposure time.

What's wrong with them? Are they too bright and therefore losing all the colour and detail, or are they fine but the rest of the church really dark?

Too bright and losing detail. I don't normally bother with cathedrals but was gobsmacked at how impressive it was. Would love to capture it properly.

I am guessing it's overexposed? Try turning the flash off and use exposure compensation (dial on the back if owt like my GF2) to reduce exposure time.

Cheers.

Too bright and losing detail. I don't normally bother with cathedrals but was gobsmacked at how impressive it was. Would love to capture it properly.

Cheers.

If its too bright then you / your camera is exposing for the inside of the cathedral which is very dark. What happens is the camera lets loads of light in to make the inside much brighter to expose properly, but the upshot of that is everything gets much brighter, and when the windows are already bright they blow out in to white nothingness.

If you can change the exposure you'll need to make the image much darker and it'll keep the inside of the cathedral dark and the windows the right brightness.

You will probably find that if you expose for the windows then the inside of the cathedral will be under exposed and if you expose for the inside then the windows will be over exposed. No simple answer really apart from 2 correctly exposed shots then blended in photoshop or you could try a filter to stop down the exposure for the windows by a couple of stops.

You will probably find that if you expose for the windows then the inside of the cathedral will be under exposed and if you expose for the inside then the windows will be over exposed. No simple answer really apart from 2 correctly exposed shots then blended in photoshop or you could try a filter to stop down the exposure for the windows by a couple of stops.

So basically what I just said then? ;)

Thanks for all the advice. After all that, big queues and a 6 euro entrance fee put me off going back in. Not sure how I was able just to wander in the other day.
Went to a interesting art display last night. It was really brightly lit and there was also a lovely sunset outside and i tried to get both in one shot. Only had my I phone but would have been a great shot for someone who knew what they were doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back