Stadium Of Light v Roker Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buchans Boots

Midfield
Given that Roker Park lasted for 99 years before we left, albeit the dear old ground was in a poor state do we think that we will get 99 years out of the SOL?

Easy to say "no" I would imagine but at what point would it be replaced, how would it be financed and where would we move to?

All a bit hypothetical I know but I read on here a growing number of people who think that SOL is looking a bit run down already etc. Surely it will last at least another 50 years?

Anyone know how long these sorts of new build ground are meant to last? The Yanks rip them down at will and rebuild.

I don't think we'll hit a situation where we had to move ground for a long long time.
At worst I think in 50 years or so, bits would need rebuilding here and there, but I think that's easily doable with the way the ground is designed, you should be able to just rebuild bits whilst still using the rest

Roker Park every day.

As it was largely derelict with the people who turned up more bothered about what happened inside the white lines rather than getting served at half time, comparisons with the SoL are difficult.

The SoL is a window into the whole football club, poorly built on questionable foundations with little resale value. The concourses are barely fit for 20k attendance never mind 50k.

The Academy on the other hand is a work of art, one can’t help think that the stadium and this are the wrong way round. Once you have achieved you get to play in the shiny super stadium, not when you might do.

Noticed this when I was last the SOL, sitting in the Premier Concourse it looked absolutely filthy.
I don’t think it’s been cleaned since it was built. Some of the beams are almost black, others are inches deep in pigeon shite. For the age of the place it should be better maintained. Obviously no money for it.

Unless we sell it as it is too big we'll never need to expand it and that is normally why you move stadiums.

Considering it is also a fairly basic design it should take too much to keep it maintained enough that it doesn't fall apart.

So unless it is sold due to going into administration we should be in it till it has its 100 year anniversary

Reactions: Sid
I would have thought it will last until the structural integrity of either the concrete or steelwork is compromised.
To answer that we will need a resident civil engineer or an expert in concrete repair.
Bound to be both on here :lol:

Given that Roker Park lasted for 99 years before we left, albeit the dear old ground was in a poor state do we think that we will get 99 years out of the SOL?

Easy to say "no" I would imagine but at what point would it be replaced, how would it be financed and where would we move to?

All a bit hypothetical I know but I read on here a growing number of people who think that SOL is looking a bit run down already etc. Surely it will last at least another 50 years?

Anyone know how long these sorts of new build ground are meant to last? The Yanks rip them down at will and rebuild.
It won't be bothering me:lol:

Has it comes to this...we've slagged all the players off..crucified managers..the Chairman..etc..so now it's the Stadiums turn..THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT.

Has it comes to this...we've slagged all the players off..crucified managers..the Chairman..etc..so now it's the Stadiums turn..THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT.

It's shabby , tired and dirty. It needs a facelift and it needs seats replacing

Apart from that - ya right - there's nowt wrong with it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back