Sri Lanka Series in March

Temp0101

Winger
Anyone off here going to this? I think I'm gonna fly out on the 13th, have a bit of holiday in Unawatuna, then the Test match at Galle. After the Test it's MCC vs. Essex at Galle also in the County Champion match with Sangakkara skippering the MCC and Cook playing for ECCC, should be canny so might stay out for that.

Anyone off here going to this? I think I'm gonna fly out on the 13th, have a bit of holiday in Unawatuna, then the Test match at Galle. After the Test it's MCC vs. Essex at Galle also in the County Champion match with Sangakkara skippering the MCC and Cook playing for ECCC, should be canny so might stay out for that.

Me and Paddy O’Doors will give you different view on this one. I think Galle is one of the best trips there is and Unawatuna is definitely the place to stay. Lovely scenery and people.

Me and Paddy O’Doors will give you different view on this one. I think Galle is one of the best trips there is and Unawatuna is definitely the place to stay. Lovely scenery and people.
Aye, was there back end of 2016 for Galle and Kandy and loved it, always said I wanted to go back, right bonus it's this soon after the last visit.

Aye, I thought Galle was a bit overrated. Fort looked nice but a bit boring inside. The ground itself a bit basic for facilities. Unawatuna was canny. Up in the tea country at Ella and Kandy was far superior though.

Saw the top half of your flag plenty on TV today.

Last edited:
Will we have the spinners to win again?

was it rainy season when we sort of played the odi series there last time?

tentatively looking at pricing this up for the Colombo test, looking at about 6/7 nights with a couple of days at the cricket and the rest mooching about. Found decent enough flights from Manchester for under £500 but has anybody got any advice on logistics/hotels that sort of thing?

tentatively looking at pricing this up for the Colombo test, looking at about 6/7 nights with a couple of days at the cricket and the rest mooching about. Found decent enough flights from Manchester for under £500 but has anybody got any advice on logistics/hotels that sort of thing?

I think Negombo (sp) Bay is where a lot of the English go so that’s worth a search. Not been myself but if the regulars go there it’ll be for good reason.

If you go you won’t regret it though I’m sure. Watching tests Away is great.

I think Negombo (sp) Bay is where a lot of the English go so that’s worth a search. Not been myself but if the regulars go there it’ll be for good reason.

If you go you won’t regret it though I’m sure. Watching tests Away is great.

exactly the kind of info i'm looking for haha cheers. Thinking about booking it for myself and the old man while he's still fit enough to keep up with me on the drink

Aye, Colombo looked like it had minimal infrastructure when we went through it.

To the OP, is Galle not an option? You can stay at Unawatuna Beach then which is great on a night.

ended up booking for flights for 10 nights for the colombo test, couldn't do the Galle dates which made our decision easier. Trying to work out whether its worth staying in colombo for the test then a couple of nights elsewhere or just have colombo as our base for the duration

ended up booking for flights for 10 nights for the colombo test, couldn't do the Galle dates which made our decision easier. Trying to work out whether its worth staying in colombo for the test then a couple of nights elsewhere or just have colombo as our base for the duration

I'm only staying for the Galle test but have done Colombo before. We stayed at an Air BnB type place near the Galle Face hotel. There's a beach and restaurants nearby and it's not far into Colombo for the cricket/drinks on the train or a cab/tuktuk.

Ella is a really nice place. Train ride there from Colombo is an experience in itself. Takes a while to get there though. Taxi there and train ride back might be a better option.

Hmm, Colombo is good for a couple of nights, but it's abut out the way if you want it as a base to see sights. Tbh, most things are spread out. With Colombo as a base you'd probably only be able to see elephants at Kegalle (foundation) which is much better than the tourist trap Pinnawela.

Given your timescales I'd have a couple of nights in Colombo then either go to Kandy and base myself there (cultural triangle is only a couple of hours away - easy to hire taxi driver for the day to go to and from) or head down the South and base myself at Hikkaduwa and travel to the likes of Unawatuna and Galle from there as day trips.

Edit. Actually, with ten days you've got a bit more to play with. Hmm.

Ella is a really nice place. Train ride there from Colombo is an experience in itself. Takes a while to get there though. Taxi there and train ride back might be a better option.

Hill Country is my fave area, but as you say, it's well out the way. Train journey from Colombo takes about eight hours each way, but is stunning.
I'm only staying for the Galle test but have done Colombo before. We stayed at an Air BnB type place near the Galle Face hotel. There's a beach and restaurants nearby and it's not far into Colombo for the cricket/drinks on the train or a cab/tuktuk.

We stayed at the Galle Face. Sundown cocktails :cool:

Last edited:
If you want to use some of your 10 days for tourism as the lads say you could miss some of the test.

We’ve often missed day 1 (you only see one team bat) and day 5 (gamble backfired massively in CT but that was the first time, normally it’s done by day 4) so you could see the best of the cricket and still do loads of the rest of the country.

How would you go about this, it’s a bit of dream to do an overseas test. I’d love to do Sri Lanka and the Windies.

Back