Squats

gatopreto

Winger
IMO squats and deadlifts are overall the 2 most beneficial disciplines when it comes to resistance training. I hate them, they are hard, but they are good for me. In my prime the best I could do reps with was about 120kg. I'd do 3 warm up sets of 10 reps before this of probably 60, 80 and 100kg.

Last week trained again for first time in several years.After a warm up set of 15 bodyweight squats, I put 40kg on the bar and give it a go. Almost immediately got injured. I felt the wrong kind of burn (like about to tear) and struggled with 10 reps. Question is am I too old and past it, or is there a way back? Maybe it's a flexibility problem as much as strength? Was disappointed because I want them as part of my workout, they are a meat and potato exercise IMO.

My favourite exercise, I squat every session. I always have a few aches and pains in the first set or two but by my top set they’re gone, I just put it down to getting older. I’ll go through a little stretching routine but nothing too major.

I’d suggest squatting with the bar as a warm up to get your movement correct before putting weight on. Body weight squats are one thing but I couldn’t get that stretch, particularly upper body, with just body weight squats.

Ive only been back to the gym a few weeks but slowly getting my motibility back in my shoulders and elbows allowing me to get into the rack position I remember

IMO squats and deadlifts are overall the 2 most beneficial disciplines when it comes to resistance training. I hate them, they are hard, but they are good for me. In my prime the best I could do reps with was about 120kg. I'd do 3 warm up sets of 10 reps before this of probably 60, 80 and 100kg.

Last week trained again for first time in several years.After a warm up set of 15 bodyweight squats, I put 40kg on the bar and give it a go. Almost immediately got injured. I felt the wrong kind of burn (like about to tear) and struggled with 10 reps. Question is am I too old and past it, or is there a way back? Maybe it's a flexibility problem as much as strength? Was disappointed because I want them as part of my workout, they are a meat and potato exercise IMO.
I am nearly 49 and since I ‘properly’ started weigh training in about 2015 I have always lacked the flexibility to squat to a decent depth.

You only really really need to squat if you want to be a powerlifter. You can still build muscle without squats even if they are the best exercise to do so.

If you really really want to squat then you need to find out what’s restricting you. For me it’s a lack of ankle flexibility on the left, and a dodgy hip/abductor on the right.

You could hire an expert to find out what your limitations are, and then do remedial exercises and stretches.

This could give you some ideas.

I am nearly 49 and since I ‘properly’ started weigh training in about 2015 I have always lacked the flexibility to squat to a decent depth.

You only really really need to squat if you want to be a powerlifter. You can still build muscle without squats even if they are the best exercise to do so.

If you really really want to squat then you need to find out what’s restricting you. For me it’s a lack of ankle flexibility on the left, and a dodgy hip/abductor on the right.

You could hire an expert to find out what your limitations are, and then do remedial exercises and stretches.

This could give you some ideas.
I wish I could double like any post that references someone to squat university - he is great.

I think the first two replied have it wrapped up for the OP, nothing more to add from me.

I wish I could double like any post that references someone to squat university - he is great.

I think the first two replied have it wrapped up for the OP, nothing more to add from me.
Thank you, I’m not an expert but I can offer what I’ve experienced through a lot of trial and error!

My main focus is to avoid injury and pain, so I readily substitute an exercise even if it isn’t preferential for a particular muscle group.

I’d still like to eventually squat to a decent depth so I do a lot of goblet squats and I’ve restarted box squats.

Great for your core. I have to give them a miss, now. My lower back simply can't take it.

Starting Pilates soon, I'm hoping that will strengthen my back. Dubious that anything could help put this right, now, though.

Squatting is an art and often the most overlooked aspect solves the most issues. Learn how to brace your core properly and use your obliques to stabilise your ribcage.

A lot of people can have what looks like a perfectly fine or 'safe' squat form, but when you break down what is actually firing they end up putting a lot more stress than they should through areas they shouldn't. Generally this is because the torso hasn't been properly stabilised.

Also, take your time warming up. Few sets on the bar if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I squat twice a week normally 5-5-ME after a few warm up sets. I’ve carnival length limbs which helps with deadlifts but it’s a hinderance on the squat.

if you’re struggling with weighted squats why not stick with bodyweight air squats and lunges until you feel ready to put some weight on the bar?

Love squats it’s the only one I actually enjoy. I can get really deep, not up to heavy yet tho but in to 3 figures. Start with the bar only and build up really slow, I’m in my 40s and was squatting next to nothing a few months ago.

I fucked my back during lockdown, so avoided squats again for a while. Eventually felt good enough to have a go, and began with front squats to keep my torso more vertical.
Now I do front squats Mondays, deadlifts wed,and back squats Fridays. Today I hit 5 sets of 4 reps lifting 90kg, thought I’d never squat again after the back issue

I’d say what others have already said- more time warming up. 30 bw squats are nowhere near enough to get muscles primed, nerve pathways firing or blood coursing through your veins. Spend more time getting them alive using only the bar for a couple of sets, them progress in 10kg increments. After a couple of seshes you’ll be flying them up

I fucked my back during lockdown, so avoided squats again for a while. Eventually felt good enough to have a go, and began with front squats to keep my torso more vertical.
Now I do front squats Mondays, deadlifts wed,and back squats Fridays. Today I hit 5 sets of 4 reps lifting 90kg, thought I’d never squat again after the back issue

Front squats are an excellent deadlift accessory also. Really build that thoracic region isometrically

Back