Squat help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiredEyes

Winger
When I (barbell) squat I break at the knees first then hips go back but I was told I should break at the hips first to prevent forward tilt but I find it exaggerates my forward motion more than when I break at the knees, which is correct* ?

Also, in the squat from the bottom (A2G) on the upward thrust my ankles cave inwards slightly, how do I fix that ?

* I squat at about 60%-80% 1rm, depending on what workout I'm doing.

Depends on the style of squat. If you search for somebody like AJ Roberts squat, he was the strongest equipped powerlifters, where they keep the shins almost entirely vertical, but most people don't and probably shouldn't squat like this.

If you search 'Jonnie Candito' on YouTube he has various videos on this, which will give better illustration than I'll be able to convey in a post

When I (barbell) squat I break at the knees first then hips go back but I was told I should break at the hips first to prevent forward tilt but I find it exaggerates my forward motion more than when I break at the knees, which is correct* ?

Also, in the squat from the bottom (A2G) on the upward thrust my ankles cave inwards slightly, how do I fix that ?

* I squat at about 60%-80% 1rm, depending on what workout I'm doing.

Do your knees click?

When you say ankles cave in, do you mean it subsequently brings the knees inwards?

When you say ankles cave in, do you mean it subsequently brings the knees inwards?

No, knees remain tight, it's just a slight inward movement of the inside ankle bones, it might be a natural movement, it just looked odd from behind on video, I don't have the vid or I'd of posted it.

No, knees remain tight, it's just a slight inward movement of the inside ankle bones, it might be a natural movement, it just looked odd from behind on video, I don't have the vid or I'd of posted it.

You might want to see a physio and get the McMurray test - you might have a meniscus tear if you have a lot of lateral movement when you squat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back