SQL any bods on here?

The

Winger
Bit niche but the SMB probably has everyone from basket weaver to Astro physicist.

Haven’t dabbled in a while but the job I’m doing now could be made easier if I learnt SQL. Dabbled for 1 module at uni many years ago so forgot anything useful.

Any resources including software and training that anyone can recommend.

If you want to learn SQL, ChatGPT is a great resource to get started. It can help you create SQL queries using natural language, solve any coding questions you might have or even help you understand pre-defined queries that you do not understand.

Anything to practice on, software wise?

Bit niche but the SMB probably has everyone from basket weaver to Astro physicist.

Haven’t dabbled in a while but the job I’m doing now could be made easier if I learnt SQL. Dabbled for 1 module at uni many years ago so forgot anything useful.

Any resources including software and training that anyone can recommend.
There’s loads of stuff on YouTube no doubt but you’ll need to practice with a real database.

I would say that Access is a starting point if it’s still bundled with Office. Which database application is used as part of your job?

There’s loads of stuff on YouTube no doubt but you’ll need to practice with a real database.

I would say that Access is a starting point if it’s still bundled with Office. Which database application is used as part of your job?
Teradata.

Is MySQL still a thing?

don’t use access. Everything else but not access.

Annoyingly as a kids I was canny handy with access and excel then had 18 year doing nowt that required more than a very basic use of office.

Was just thinking to write all that above, but beaten to it

Next time I will be faster
DM if any further queries

Mind you I'm going on holiday for next few years starting now, so I may be late in response

SQL is one of the most useful and easiest languages to pick up for any job which involves handing data. Essentially it only has 4 basic commands (Insert, Select, Update and Delete which relate to the CRUD operations) the rest are just parameters, where clauses and logic. Just be aware that there are different flavours of SQL which vary slightly between vendors but it is fairly easy to adapt.

Dont understand any of this ....... Is this another code ?

Good. Us IT experts wouldn’t be able to charge ludicrous fees if everyone understood what we were doing.
SQL is one of the most useful and easiest languages to pick up for any job which involves handing data. Essentially it only has 4 basic commands (Insert, Select, Update and Delete which relate to the CRUD operations) the rest are just parameters, where clauses and logic. Just be aware that there are different flavours of SQL which vary slightly between vendors but it is fairly easy to adapt.

It is, but that is both a strength and a weakness.
Its a doddle to write a query that works, but often a different matter to write an efficient one that doesn’t cripple the database server !

Last edited:
Www3.schools was always the place I recommended.

It was always a structured process to get you up to speed.

I wouldn’t recommend chatGPT to build your initial knowledge as you need to have some understanding to know what to ask it, and it might be wrong anyway.

Teradata.

Is MySQL still a thing?

don’t use access. Everything else but not access.

Annoyingly as a kids I was canny handy with access and excel then had 18 year doing nowt that required more than a very basic use of office.
I’m not sure about other databases, my job over the past 30 years has involved writing SQL/procedural SQL on oracle databases. The ANSI syntax should be transferable across relational databases.

It is, but that is both a strength and a weakness.
Its a doddle to write a query that works, but often a different matter to write an efficient one that doesn’t cripple the database server !

True. You can understand the basics in a few hours but it can take a lifetime to get the experience in how to optimise a queries and databases. I spent years doing product support on Oracle applications and have forgotten most of what I used to know but I can still knock together a basic join if I have to.

Never did get my head around NoSQL. I left that to others.

Back