Sprinting

Thurston

Winger
Decided to get back into sprinting recently after a break up, and after finding my current training plan getting a bit stale (after doing the same thing consistently for the last three years) I wanted to try something different.

So I’m curious if anyone else is into this discipline? And if so what other training they do around it/for it? How they find it, tips, tricks, things to watch out for etc?

I’m still mulling over how my weight training plan will work around it. Previously trained 4 times a week, with 30-45 minute HIT sessions.

But now as going to the track twice a week, and finding the DOMS make me feel like I’ve been hit by a bus, I’m thinking that I’m probably going to cut back to a twice week upper/lower body split somewhat akin to “one set” DC Training (see below), while incorporating some Oly lifts, and plyo, and then do some lower intensity conditioning workouts (probably on the bike) the rest of the time.

Upper movements:
- Bench press
- Cleans
- Barbell OHP
- Lat raises
- Weighted dips
- Pullover machine
- Lat pulldown, or chin-ups
- Explosive snatch grip high pull
- RDL’s
- Pec deck, and stretch

Lower movements:
- Front squats and cleans to warm up
- Hamstring curl, or RDL’s
- Leg extensions
- Lying leg press to failure
- Standing calf raise

My sprint workout is currently:

- Extensive warm up and stretching
- 10 metre sprint
- 30 metre sprint
- 10 metre sprint
- 30 metre sprint
- 4 x 100 metres.
- cool down.

Share your thoughts. 🙂

Decided to get back into sprinting recently after a break up, and after finding my current training plan getting a bit stale (after doing the same thing consistently for the last three years) I wanted to try something different.

So I’m curious if anyone else is into this discipline? And if so what other training they do around it/for it? How they find it, tips, tricks, things to watch out for etc?

I’m still mulling over how my weight training plan will work around it. Previously trained 4 times a week, with 30-45 minute HIT sessions.

But now as going to the track twice a week, and finding the DOMS make me feel like I’ve been hit by a bus, I’m thinking that I’m probably going to cut back to a twice week upper/lower body split somewhat akin to “one set” DC Training (see below), while incorporating some Oly lifts, and plyo, and then do some lower intensity conditioning workouts (probably on the bike) the rest of the time.

Upper movements:
- Bench press
- Cleans
- Barbell OHP
- Lat raises
- Weighted dips
- Pullover machine
- Lat pulldown, or chin-ups
- Explosive snatch grip high pull
- RDL’s
- Pec deck, and stretch

Lower movements:
- Front squats and cleans to warm up
- Hamstring curl, or RDL’s
- Leg extensions
- Lying leg press to failure
- Standing calf raise

My sprint workout is currently:

- Extensive warm up and stretching
- 10 metre sprint
- 30 metre sprint
- 10 metre sprint
- 30 metre sprint
- 4 x 100 metres.
- cool down.

Share your thoughts. 🙂
No idea ha but good on you mate hope its going well for you 👍.

It seems like an intensive training regime, but I don't know your age or fitness- I know I couldn't handle that sort of density for sure (I'm 47)

All good so far mate, apart from the ridiculous muscle soreness, but that’ll get better in time as the body and muscles get more familiarised with the workouts. 😃
I have used a few different routines/variations if you want some options. E.g.

Warmup - dynamic/ballistic stretches.
— sprint session
Cool down - jogging, static stretches.

Take a look at the running thread for session ideas.

Session 1: variant of ‘Chelsea squares’ around a football pitch or one half of a football pitch. Jog all 4 sides, sprint 1 side/jog 3 sides, sprint 2 sides/jog 2 sides, sprint 3 sides etc.

Session 2: Kenyan hill training.

Session 3: Find a route where there are 3 different sides, E.g 300m hill, 500m flat, 600m undulating. Alternate sections running between 80% flat out and jogging recovery. Repeat until staggering around like an asthmatic zombie. I.E hill-fast, flat-recovery, undulating-fast, hill-recovery, flat-fast etc.

Session 4: fartlek/interval.

Last edited:
Update on this.

Training has now evolved to where I do fairly two low volume, but no less intense track days:

Session 1:
4 x 10
4 x 30
2 x 60

Session 2:
4 x 10
4 x 20
4 x 30
4 x 40

I rest 1 minute for every 10 minutes ran before going again.

I do plyo and core after the track. Those sessions don’t require a lot of explanation as abs is literally just bringing two points together (e.g ab machine and hanging leg raises), while plyo is just bouncy shit, such as box jumps.

Weights session 1:
Oly lifting complex to warm up.
Front squats.
Cleans.
Hang cleans.
Snatch grip hang clean.
Box step ups.
Jumping lunges.

Weights session 2:
Bench.
Barbell OHP.
Decline press machine.
Dips.
Chin-ups.
Lat pullover machine.
Front pull-down.
Chest supported T-bar row.

Weights session 3:
Squats warm up.
Leg curl.
Leg extension.
Lying leg press.
Standing calf raises.
Finish off with abductor/adductor stuff using the good girl/bad girl machines.

Considerations: the two track sessions are done at the start and end of week.

Weights sessions are at least 72 hours apart from one another and are done in a ‘one-set’ to failure fashion. This doesn’t mean that I don’t do feeder sets/warm-ups, I do, especially on heavy compound movements. They just don’t get counted.

There isn’t fixed days for this. I have a rough guide but because of the intensity will push sessions back if necessary for additional recovery. All sessions are tracked and logged and progressive overload applies, as always.

Results so far?

When I’ve tested, I’m doing sub 12 seconds over 100m metres comfortably and I’ve also lost two inches off my waist in the last four weeks, while not seeing a substantial drop off in body weight. I’m also currently the fittest I’ve been since I was 21. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Have you tried the treadmill sprint work out, 20 seconds on 40 seconds recovery x20. I usually do this once a week, probably the fittest I have been since my early 20s as well.

Have you tried the treadmill sprint work out, 20 seconds on 40 seconds recovery x20. I usually do this once a week, probably the fittest I have been since my early 20s as well.
I’ve done similar stuff in the past, mainly on a bike though in my cycling days. It’ll certainly get you fit.

The problem with using a treadmill for my current goal, which is to hopefully run a sub 11 second hundred metre dash (still not sure how realistic this is, but like most forms of training, you only know your true potential in retrospect) is that it isn’t really all that useful from a pure acceleration standpoint, and that’s what the majority of my track training basically is, as the first 10 to 40 metres are key. 😃

E.g the session tonight was:
4x10m
4x20m
4x30m
3x40m (had planned for 4 but there was nothing left in the legs).
It seems like an intensive training regime, but I don't know your age or fitness- I know I couldn't handle that sort of density for sure (I'm 47)
I’m 36.

I’m looking to keep the sessions as low volume as possible, as I find that the problem, such as tonight where I’d planned for 16 sprints over short distances, is that psychologically, the more you know you have to get through the more you’ll unintentionally hold back, which is certainly sub-optimal for sprint training (fwiw you can also apply the same rationale to resistance training and practically all forms of exercise). So yeah, definitely finding that the less density in the sessions the better, so will continue making adjustments.

Last edited:
Session 4: fartlek/interval.
Have done fly sprints the last couple of sessions, which are a slow/moderate jog upto the start line, building to an all out sprint…then walking back to the mark for the next round. I find these absolutely brutal.

Managed 4x20 this morning and then 1x40, and that was pretty much the point my legs packed in for today.

On another note, I’ve lost 1.5 inches off my waist in the last 6 weeks, despite not actually making huge changes to my diet.

Incredible how effective this is as a tool for getting in shape (to anyone reading this: please don’t take this as encouragement to suddenly take up sprinting and subsequently fuck yourself up/rack up injuries if you’re out of shape and/or don’t know what you’re doing).

Have done fly sprints the last couple of sessions, which are a slow/moderate jog upto the start line, building to an all out sprint…then walking back to the mark for the next round. I find these absolutely brutal.

Managed 4x20 this morning and then 1x40, and that was pretty much the point my legs packed in for today.

On another note, I’ve lost 1.5 inches off my waist in the last 6 weeks, despite not actually making huge changes to my diet.

Incredible how effective this is as a tool for getting in shape (to anyone reading this: please don’t take this as encouragement to suddenly take up sprinting and subsequently fuck yourself up/rack up injuries if you’re out of shape and/or don’t know what you’re doing).
Nice one 👍

The closest that I’ve been to sprinting recently was today while the dog was on the lead!

Last edited:
I’ve done similar stuff in the past, mainly on a bike though in my cycling days. It’ll certainly get you fit.

The problem with using a treadmill for my current goal, which is to hopefully run a sub 11 second hundred metre dash (still not sure how realistic this is, but like most forms of training, you only know your true potential in retrospect) is that it isn’t really all that useful from a pure acceleration standpoint, and that’s what the majority of my track training basically is, as the first 10 to 40 metres are key. 😃

E.g the session tonight was:
4x10m
4x20m
4x30m
3x40m (had planned for 4 but there was nothing left in the legs).

I’m 36.

I’m looking to keep the sessions as low volume as possible, as I find that the problem, such as tonight where I’d planned for 16 sprints over short distances, is that psychologically, the more you know you have to get through the more you’ll unintentionally hold back, which is certainly sub-optimal for sprint training (fwiw you can also apply the same rationale to resistance training and practically all forms of exercise). So yeah, definitely finding that the less density in the sessions the better, so will continue making adjustments.

Looks like a cracking training programme . What sort of times were you running 100m when at school etc ? ( 11-12 seconds is very good going >35 yo )

Have you suffered much with muscle stiffness / minor pull at all ?

Good to hear this type of stuff. How old are you? Over 30? Are you training with a club or planning to race? Sounds like you doing well. Intensive fitness regime. Well done
Thanks mate. I’m 36. Not at the moment. I trained with a couple of clubs when I was younger, hence why I’ve been able to pick it up again at this point in my life fairly quickly. Might be too old to race now, but who knows? :lol:

Wish I’d stuck at it as a youth, to be honest.

Looks like a cracking training programme . What sort of times were you running 100m when at school etc ? ( 11-12 seconds is very good going >35 yo )

Have you suffered much with muscle stiffness / minor pull at all ?
I was in the 12s at my best, but didn’t stick at it, as I discovered booze and women. :lol:

I haven’t had any muscle stiffness or pills. The worst that can be said is that after the first couple of sessions my ankle tendons were in absolute bits and I could barely walk for a couple of days, however, for the most part, as my strength and conditioning is fairly good for my age, and the fact I’ve always kept at least a little bit of Oly Lifting and plyo in my strength training (as I enjoy it) as well as being able to pick up the technique again pretty quickly, I haven’t had any pulls or injuries.

For anyone who might want to pick up sprinting, especially as they start to get a bit older (like me), I’d say the key things to keep it as safe as possible, would be:

- build up a decent base level of strength and fitness first, and introduce some plyo a few times a week. Gradually build up the intensity.
- ideally, you want to get some proper coaching, or at least research proper running technique so you’re not going into this blind. Don’t rush it.
- warm up properly and focus on easing yourself into the sessions, take as long as you require for this. E.g do a few extremely short, extremely low intensity sprints first which place an exaggerated emphasis on technique as part of the warm up
- sessions should be short and low volume (similar to what I’ve outlined above) and I’d probably keep the overall volume for the first couple of sessions to 200-250m at the absolute most, gradually building up to around 350m per session
- take at least a minute to rest per every 10m run, but keep on your feet and keep moving around/lightly stretching, don’t sit down, you don’t want to seize up
- this isn’t something you do every day. You want an absolute minimum of 72 hours between sessions, but take as long as you require
- I’d suggest staying overly hydrated. I always have an isotonic drink which I’ll sip throughout the session
- very important and should go without saying: if you feel any pulls, or anything doesn’t feel right, end the session there and then
- make sure you cool down

Plenty vets events for o35s onward mate. Get involved with a club again and see what happens, esp if you enjoy it. The competition might drive you on to sub 12!

Plenty vets events for o35s onward mate. Get involved with a club again and see what happens, esp if you enjoy it. The competition might drive you on to sub 12!
Aye. I’ve been training a couple of times a week at the indoor track next to Gateshead Stadium. There’s a lot of top class young sprinters get in there for training, but some older lads too. Really good standard overall.

One of the coaches started talking to me asking me if I was with Gateshead Harriers (was like, “okay, mustn’t look *too* bad”), how I look like I’ve been a sprinter (not I look like a sprinter now, but still, I’ll take it :lol:) and how I’m not bad for my age.

He asked me if I fancied training with some older lads he coaches, and racing in the older categories, so I’m going to see what they’re like in the new year.

Aside from that, I’ve kept to the program I’ve put together, with just some slight adaptations to the volume of weight training as three very intense weight sessions, alongside two track sessions per week, were creating more systemic fatigue than I’m actually able to recover from.

All in all, after a couple of months, I’m probably in the best shape of my life and the fastest and strongest I’ve ever been. So can’t grumble.

First session of the year done on the indoor track.

Last ran on Boxing Day, with a few weight sessions in between, but mostly over-indulged over Christmas and NY (which I intended to do, as I’ve been pretty disciplined over the past few months) however I’ve pretty much paid for it.

Did 4x10/4x30/2x60 tonight. Objectively terrible for the most part, except for a couple of strides over 30 metres which seemed to come out of nowhere, felt good and gave me some optimism.

Going to be predominantly focussing on getting my weight back down over the next few weeks and getting peeled so I don’t get mogged off the fast kids.

Made a couple of really good and useful adjustments after observations of coaches, and from reading ‘Training for Speed’ by Charlie Francis who coached Ben Johnson in the eighties—free if you have Kindle Unlimited—(also of note, I was actually put onto reading his stuff by a video I saw of the late Louie Simmons of Westside Barbell of all people).

- focussed on bringing shoulders back after the initial drive phase, so the torso is upright. Massively improves leg turnover speed.
- arm drive: the hand of the driving arm should come up level with the face.

Much like weightlifting, the more the technique improves, the less volume you are able to do, or will actually require.

I.e today, after a 4x20/4x40 session on the outdoor track where I normally feel I could do a bit more, I was totally gassed, with legs absolutely burning.

Totally hooked on this now though. Training through the winter months will ensure a really good summer.

Back