Spotify Subscription

Probably the app I use the most on my phone. Subscription is included in my phone contract.

Not just music either, I’ve used it for podcasts since Acast went the journey as well.

Couple of the features like AI DJ and Smart Shuffle I quite like too.

I'm off for a stroll shortly, going to take my Sony Walkman and backpack full of CDs so I can listen my favourite 30 songs while I'm out.
I started college waaaaay back in 2000, I paid like £200 for one of these new fangled MP3 players before apple made them popular with the iPod they were a bit of a niche thing for awhile. I had to convert music from wav to MP3 and loaded up my new strange device with about 10 songs that would fit on the 64mb storage. I was always an early adopter of tech, had a mini disc player etc before hand but really didn't see how much those MP3 players would change music forever. Alot of it like the mobile phone explosion is down to apple and their marketing, MP3 players were for nerds and computer geeks before they made them cool. I mean who didn't want one of those cool looking white iPods with that wheel. Maybe the best marketers of all time apple.

The value for money is incredible. They should charge way more and pay artists a fairer fee.
Don’t think most people have any idea how little artists make from streaming, although I guess it’s better than zero from illegal downloads.
That is the downside like. Tickets for gigs have had to go to ridiculous prices to compensate for lost revenue in album sales.

I started college waaaaay back in 2000, I paid like £200 for one of these new fangled MP3 players before apple made them popular with the iPod they were a bit of a niche thing for awhile. I had to convert music from wav to MP3 and loaded up my new strange device with about 10 songs that would fit on the 64mb storage. I was always an early adopter of tech, had a mini disc player etc before hand but really didn't see how much those MP3 players would change music forever. Alot of it like the mobile phone explosion is down to apple and their marketing, MP3 players were for nerds and computer geeks before they made them cool. I mean who didn't want one of those cool looking white iPods with that wheel. Maybe the best marketers of all time apple.
Never got into the Apple sphere but they take a lot of credit for the uptake but if wasn't Apple it would have been someone else, the ground work had been done by the time it entered the market

That is the downside like. Tickets for gigs have had to go to ridiculous prices to compensate for lost revenue in album sales.
Only if you’re going to see Elton John or the Artic Monkeys. Usually pay £15 to £25 for the stuff I like. Get to stand near to the front too, rather than 2 miles back. Except I did pay £45 for PJ Harvey @ Barrowlands last month, but she was exceptional.

We are probably the same age. Absolutely loved the minidisc platform. Just unfortunate timing as it was bang between the CD to MP3 "eras" which was a limited timespan looking back. My Creative Zen was the boy, miles better than iPod (or anything else on the market tbh). Still have it actually, often charge it up and play random stuff - it's a little time capsule of my listening habits from 2000-2004 ish :cool:

We are probably the same age. Absolutely loved the minidisc platform. Just unfortunate timing as it was bang between the CD to MP3 "eras" which was a limited timespan looking back. My Creative Zen was the boy, miles better than iPod (or anything else on the market tbh). Still have it actually, often charge it up and play random stuff - it's a little time capsule of my listening habits from 2000-2004 ish :cool:
Yeah the minidisc was a really great tech stuck between Sony has a habit of doing that with formats. Loved mine had the Walkman and a Sony hifi with the minidisc part so would record stuff onto my own minidiscs, often from the radio. Anyone remember the dvd ram players? They were like a mixture of dvd and a HDD was a dvd in a plastic cartridge.

Bought a minidisc in Japan in the mid 90's, nothing like it at the time for listening to music on the go without substantial skipping/disruption. Writing on the wall quite quickly though but I also had a Zen but now my entire collection (20k songs ish) is on my phone, in my car, on my chromebook and backed up elsewhere.

I've got a YT music sub but never use it!

Ooh I don't know about that. In the early days digital format was a big thing with a compromise between file size v sound quality. MP3 was popular for being able to store a large number of songs on the limited disc space but some players were also able to be used as a transit for your home hi fi system. Those 128 MP3 files sounded pretty rubbish through an amp and loudspeakers so something with a line out that could play flac offered the best of both worlds.

I remember looking at buying a Zen, it seemed spot on for portable use but didn't have the other features I wanted.

Less than fifteen quid a month for virtually every song ever made and access to virtually all new releases and people still want it cheaper. :lol:

Back