Sports photography exhibition - Northumbria Uni

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm loving my sports photography at the minute. only doing the usual action shots, but love getting a good shot of a goal celebration.

Got this from yesterday Welsh Prem. TNS 3-0 bangor

Logon or register to see this image

Nice that. What's the settings you used?

In particular;
AF mode
AF point selection

Got it set up on my 7d with the 70 200 f.2.8 beast.

af mode at ai servo. Usually knocking down the sensitivity/speed of the tracking as at default speed it pings around way to much and can ruin a shot.

and point selection is usually a bit of what works best at the time.

i usually start with single point with expansion, but i had a shot of a lad through on goal. focussed on him, but one of the out points affected the dof and ruined it. so switched to single point and was happy days. I use the camera freehand, but might get a monopod for a steadier hold.

usually for football i knock the iso up to anywhere as high as 800 just to make sure i get great freeze frames. but even at iso 200-400 you get around 1000 or 2000/1.

Obviously night photos. Iso can go as high as 6000. even 12000 if lighting is poor.

Got it set up on my 7d with the 70 200 f.2.8 beast.

af mode at ai servo. Usually knocking down the sensitivity/speed of the tracking as at default speed it pings around way to much and can ruin a shot.

and point selection is usually a bit of what works best at the time.

i usually start with single point with expansion, but i had a shot of a lad through on goal. focussed on him, but one of the out points affected the dof and ruined it. so switched to single point and was happy days. I use the camera freehand, but might get a monopod for a steadier hold.

usually for football i knock the iso up to anywhere as high as 800 just to make sure i get great freeze frames. but even at iso 200-400 you get around 1000 or 2000/1.

Obviously night photos. Iso can go as high as 6000. even 12000 if lighting is poor.

Thanks for that. Just got the lend of a 70-200m sigma 2.8 so might go along to a non league game and give it a whirl.

Thanks for that. Just got the lend of a 70-200m sigma 2.8 so might go along to a non league game and give it a whirl.

What body are you using? I was going to get an extender, but havent needed one as the 7D is crop sensor.

Have you done any footie before?

Best bet is to sit behind the goal-line about 2/3 towards the corner flag. And to save yourself loads of time in getting through photos. Only take them when there is any kind of attack or defence being performed in the last 3rd.

What body are you using? I was going to get an extender, but havent needed one as the 7D is crop sensor.

Have you done any footie before?

Best bet is to sit behind the goal-line about 2/3 towards the corner flag. And to save yourself loads of time in getting through photos. Only take them when there is any kind of attack or defence being performed in the last 3rd.

7D like yourself mate. Hadn't really thought about doing any footy until I got the lend of the 70-200mm.

I actually popped along to watch my old Sunday league team on Sunday but only had the 28-75mm at that stage. Saw the last 5 minutes of the 1st half so positioned myself pretty much where you said to watch the 2nd half. There was a Rocky-esque turnaround in the 2nd half and I barely saw any of the action!

7D like yourself mate. Hadn't really thought about doing any footy until I got the lend of the 70-200mm.

I actually popped along to watch my old Sunday league team on Sunday but only had the 28-75mm at that stage. Saw the last 5 minutes of the 1st half so positioned myself pretty much where you said to watch the 2nd half. There was a Rocky-esque turnaround in the 2nd half and I barely saw any of the action!

Yeah it's Sod's law when that happens. As I take photos for the local papers I tend to have the choice made for me and just sit the end the team I need to photograph are attacking. Also, it's worth spending a bit of time with picture style. I usually work with the standard mode with an increase in sharpness and contrast but lower saturation. That's personal preference though.

Yeah it's Sod's law when that happens. As I take photos for the local papers I tend to have the choice made for me and just sit the end the team I need to photograph are attacking. Also, it's worth spending a bit of time with picture style. I usually work with the standard mode with an increase in sharpness and contrast but lower saturation. That's personal preference though.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a go and post any semi decent results :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back