Sporting Director

I remember being told by one player that they always asked a coach, if he started being an upstart, "How many caps have you got then?" We had a few part-time coaches for the young lads at Washington but they were not seen much at Roker at all.

Speakman is deserving of praise for his work in overseeing our move from League One to the Championship.
He is also deserving of criticism for what followed that in terms of his recruitment of both players and head coach.
We don't know the finer detail of the conditions he's been working in or the budget he has had to work with.
We should now be saying 'Thank you for your efforts and wishing him well for the future'
Change required if we are serious about having a good go at promotion next season. I don't think we can trust him with another window or Head Coach appointment.

Last edited:
I see Liverpool have appointed a new Sporting Director. A former footballer himself.

From what I can tell, it looks like most Sporting Directors have previous experience as players at least at some level. Dan Ashworth, Christoph Freund, Txiki Begiristain, Edu.

Those that havent appear to have at least experience as head of recruitment at senior level previously.

Ours on the other hand has never played professionally as far as I understand and only ever previously worked at academy level. I think it shows.

What do you think makes a good Sporting Director and who do you think the best examples are?
wenger and mourinho were shit managers because they didn't play professionally

Speakman is deserving of praise for his work in overseeing our move from League One to the Championship.
He is also deserving of criticism for what followed that in terms of his recruitment of both players and head coach.
We don't know the finer detail of the conditions he's been working in or the budget he has had to work with.
We should now be saying 'Thank you for your efforts and wishing him well for the future'
Change required if we are serious about having a good go at promotion next season. I don't think we can trust him with another window or Head Coach appointment.
As you mention we don’t know the shackles he’s had placed on him. A tweak of the model and both him and SAFC may be back on course.
Unfortunately I think the oft mentioned model is part of the oft mentioned “5yr plan” and both were submitted to his mam and dads auld marras before he was allowed to enter the football industry. I think it’ll have to be adhered too in full in order to see if it gets us anywhere near his predictions. Simply to prove his mettle to them. Only then will there be any changes to “the model”. I think we’re half way through atm?

As you mention we don’t know the shackles he’s had placed on him. A tweak of the model and both him and SAFC may be back on course.
Unfortunately I think the oft mentioned model is part of the oft mentioned “5yr plan” and both were submitted to his mam and dads auld marras before he was allowed to enter the football industry. I think it’ll have to be adhered too in full in order to see if it gets us anywhere near his predictions. Simply to prove his mettle to them. Only then will there be any changes to “the model”. I think we’re half way through atm?
3 years in. Massive opportunity last year missed. Such a shame we suffered some really untimely injuries and the board didn't have the foresight to realise that some quality up top and experience would've likely resulted in us being promoted 2 years into the 5 year plan. We would of course come straight back down but the rewards of going up and parachute payments would've given us a much better platform to build on. Since then the backsliding and decision making from the Sporting Director and Owner have been really poor. Beale man. Says it all. Clueless.

Personally I think model was what was needed at the time and has now served its purpose. We have a young squad and some valuable assets but I really don't want to see us signing any more rough gems that might come good in a few years time.
We need quality and experience and players that walk into the starting 11 and have an immediate impact.
Their next move is crucial. Get it right and with fair winds and some decent additions and we can still do well. Appoint a yes man and insisting on having Dodds and Proctor involved in first team affairs and we are in for another season of disappointment and struggle.

Last edited:
I always think there's far too much of a jobs for the boys mentality where ex-players want to dominate every role in the game. Being a manager or head coach would require an entirely different skillset to being a player (as proven by the number of ex players with really good playing careers who are shit, or at least mediocre, at management). Equally the skillset needed to be a decent left back or whatever would be almost entirely different from that needed to be a sporting director. And 17 games for Eastbourne Town ffs, might as well say Speakman once had a kick about with his mates at school

Back