Sport England

Status
Not open for further replies.

To cut cricket funding...... Netball will benefit, fuck me, it isn't even a proper sport. Basketball for fannies. :roll:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/20755057

I noticed this - can't believe basketball gets nearly as much cash as cricket. SSN mentioned that the £7.5m cricket was getting was to be spent on the creation of 1,000 community cricket clubs. Does anyone have any idea of what that means in practical terms?

Apparently rugby (league and union) also had their funding cut because targets weren't met, anybody any idea what they were? Massive drop off

Surely the point of Sport England though is to support the sports that really need it. Cricket generates quite a lot of cash over here so therefore needs less handouts.

I suppose the argument will be how this is filtered down to grassroots level. Its the one thing I worry about in local cricket when you see the likes of Chopwell and Morpeth virtually going to the wall in the NTSL due to lack of money. Mind saying that, if they hadn't squandered their cash on mercenaries over the past few years and paid some coaches to bring their kids on they would be in a much better position.

Surely the point of Sport England though is to support the sports that really need it. Cricket generates quite a lot of cash over here so therefore needs less handouts.

I suppose the argument will be how this is filtered down to grassroots level. Its the one thing I worry about in local cricket when you see the likes of Chopwell and Morpeth virtually going to the wall in the NTSL due to lack of money. Mind saying that, if they hadn't squandered their cash on mercenaries over the past few years and paid some coaches to bring their kids on they would be in a much better position.

There are a lot of clubs trying to survive who have been milked over the years by some very average players, sadly the norm now to pay someone just for turning up.

There are a lot of clubs trying to survive who have been milked over the years by some very average players, sadly the norm now to pay someone just for turning up.

Agreed. I can kind of see why some teams may want to do so to survive but the likes of Swalwell shelling out thousands a year to win the league every year, without a youngster in sight, will likely prove to be their downfall.

Clubs have to make a stand and stop paying average players or local cricket will ultimately end up on its knees

I see that sport england are still funding football. Does football really need sport england funding?? It's outrageous that the amount of money swilling about in the english top league that clearly isnt filtered down to grass roots.

:mad:

Agreed. I can kind of see why some teams may want to do so to survive but the likes of Swalwell shelling out thousands a year to win the league every year, without a youngster in sight, will likely prove to be their downfall.

Clubs have to make a stand and stop paying average players or local cricket will ultimately end up on its knees

From what I hear Swalwell are having a bit of a resurgence at grass roots.

I see that sport england are still funding football. Does football really need sport england funding?? It's outrageous that the amount of money swilling about in the english top league that clearly isnt filtered down to grass roots.

:mad:

I agree but I'm guessing/ hoping that its directed to inner cities to keep people off the streets rather than produce quality players?

I sincerely hope so!! Still I hear of numerous local players coming in for good money this season. I really don't see the point. They win that league comfortably most years and have no desire to progress up the ladder. They are throwing money at it (which is money down the pan as they hardly attract crowds of people and prize money is negligible).

It is imperative that they get some youngsters into their senior set up and persist with them, or in 10 years time when the money runs out and the stalwarts retire, they will be left with nothing.

This isn't just Swalwell though. Look across all of the leagues and there are teams paying good money to 5 or 6 of their players. Yes the really talented juniors will get a go, but you will need more than 1 or 2 to fill a team in 15 years time when the current crop have all jacked in.

I sincerely hope so!! Still I hear of numerous local players coming in for good money this season. I really don't see the point. They win that league comfortably most years and have no desire to progress up the ladder. They are throwing money at it (which is money down the pan as they hardly attract crowds of people and prize money is negligible).

It is imperative that they get some youngsters into their senior set up and persist with them, or in 10 years time when the money runs out and the stalwarts retire, they will be left with nothing.

This isn't just Swalwell though. Look across all of the leagues and there are teams paying good money to 5 or 6 of their players. Yes the really talented juniors will get a go, but you will need more than 1 or 2 to fill a team in 15 years time when the current crop have all jacked in.

Swalwell will be fine and I bet they pay out under half the amount you imagine they do. They are essentially a group of mates who enjoy playing in the same side and pay out no more money than the likes of Annfield Plain, Shotley Bridge, Burnmoor and considerably less than most NEPL clubs. Clubs have paid out big money on players since the 60s nothings changed.
Their junior set up is fairly solid and i believe they'll be taking part in the Chance to Shine programme this year.

I heard South North pay out a few quid in wages. CLS must do as well.

Even the likes of Horden are paying a few players nowadays as well as a pro. When I first started watching and playing nobody apart from the Pro got paid and these players were three times as good as some of players getting paid now

The formation of the PL has brought this culture into the game

Even the likes of Horden are paying a few players nowadays as well as a pro. When I first started watching and playing nobody apart from the Pro got paid and these players were three times as good as some of players getting paid now

True but you cant get your Parrys and Khans any more, first class cricketers let alone international players are few and far between in local league cricket now. Clubs who in the past would have had one big superstar now payout on 4 or 5 local lads.
Horden will be one of the biggest spenders in the Durham leagues for the next few seasons.

True but you cant get your Parrys and Khans any more, first class cricketers let alone international players are few and far between in local league cricket now. Clubs who in the past would have had one big superstar now payout on 4 or 5 local lads.
Horden will be one of the biggest spenders in the Durham leagues for the next few seasons.

Can remember going to the AGM must be 20 year ago now and Horden were paying Parry 10k which was a huge amount back the. Worth every penny mine, one of the best if not the number one pro ever to play in the local leagues in the North east. Khan use to bowl at one end through a innings and skittle teams for fun till the Senior league changed the rules and bowlers were only allowed to bowl a certain amount of over per game

Some of the players who get paid these days are f***ing shite. :neutral:

Completely agree. IMO less than 10% of the players on money now would have warranted it if they were around 15 years ago.

The difference is that back then the limit on overseas players at County level was much tighter and so a lot of players who wanted to get experience of playing in damp overcast conditions only had club cricket. Indeed some boards actually helped out with the expenses of players they saw as future test players.

Now that it is easier to get to play for a County there is no need to send your best players to play in the better leagues. As a consequence the difference between a paid player and the rest is not the same as it used to be.

The difference is that back then the limit on overseas players at County level was much tighter and so a lot of players who wanted to get experience of playing in damp overcast conditions only had club cricket. Indeed some boards actually helped out with the expenses of players they saw as future test players.

Now that it is easier to get to play for a County there is no need to send your best players to play in the better leagues. As a consequence the difference between a paid player and the rest is not the same as it used to be.

I do actually agree, I just think the big overseas players warranted the spend, and we shouldn't automatically be spending that cash on a number of average players for the sake of winning leagues we never intend to progress from!!

The big names of 15-20 years ago paid for themselves a lot of the time too in terms of packing out bars 4-5 nights a week with success in 7 or 8 cup competitions.

interesting read this thread. thanks all who have contributed

I do actually agree, I just think the big overseas players warranted the spend, and we shouldn't automatically be spending that cash on a number of average players for the sake of winning leagues we never intend to progress from!!

The big names of 15-20 years ago paid for themselves a lot of the time too in terms of packing out bars 4-5 nights a week with success in 7 or 8 cup competitions.

We are both agreeing,I also think that one of the reasons that cricket did not get the funding could be to do with the way that clubs pay money out to average players.

I was listening to an interview on Radio 4 on monday with Sport England and while they were not talking about cricket they were talking about jpw they decied who gets increased funding and who gets a cut. After the performance at the top level (the better you are the more you get, but really focused on olympic sports) they look at how the sport uses its current funding from all sources. If they are looking at clubs spending money on pro's and not investing in the facilities or juniors, then you do not hit the criteria. If on the other hand cricket as a whole was seen to be investing in coaching and community facilities then they would be hitting the right buttons.

In the interview they used an example of a sport ( I can not recall which sport) they were unhappy with a few years ago and cut their funding to force the governing body to look at again at what they were doing. That sport changed its focus and this time arround it has a large increase. So Sport England could well be putting a shot across the bow of the ECB to get therm to change what they are doing.

The funding which is there is for community clubs, if this is the same thing as a few years ago it will mean that clubs who invest in coaching and develop links with the community and schools should find that they can apply and get funding to improve facilities, such as new pitchs out door nets and improvement to club houses. If you are thinking about that sort of bid you need to get your community links sorted and evidenced ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back