Spain figures..

Status
Not open for further replies.

I went to Spain on the 8th March and returned the 12th. I think Spain locked down on 15th.

It was barely being discussed even though Madrid cases had increased a fair bit
A number of airlines started cancelling flights round about the 14th, 15th. Everything did escalate pretty quickly

That Liverpool v Atletico CL game was a disaster, 3,000 AM fans over here. Much the same as the Atalanta v Valencia game which was blamed for significantly spreading the virus.
It wasn't.
At the time we had more than 20k people arriving from Spain every day.
Didn't they say the other day, that game made no difference given that there were 20k travelling to & from Spain every day
Ah yes.

What's going on.. are they reporting on anything other than cases.

Only one death reported since June 6th.

What did they change on their reporting
They have been enforcing an extremely strict lockdown. My cousin who lives there was given a €500 fine for being outside without a good enough reason.

What's going on.. are they reporting on anything other than cases.

Only one death reported since June 6th.

What did they change on their reporting

read this in an article about them earlier

“Health authorities changed the way they present the total number of victims, so that fatalities are ordered according to the date of death, and not the date of notification. There are thousands of deaths that are yet to be assigned to a specific date, and that are in a kind of limbo.”

Loads of figures will be played down in countries that rely heavily on tourism

yup this. No surprise that Spain are trying to bring in UK tourists when tourism is massive for their GDP and of that the Brits account for 20%

The Govt in Spain is a fragile coalition. The very far right as led by Vox have been very effective in launching criticism. They are quite frightening and very facist.I can understand a Govt reluctance to speedily publish completely accurate figures as it would just add another log to the fires that Vox are stoking.

The country was second only to Italy in being at the forefront in Europe when the virus hit. The learning curve was immense and far more fraught than almost any other democratic society.The locals here all, imho, disbelieve the official figures but having said that the observance of the lock down, which was far tougher than seems to have been the case back in the Uk, was and has been generally very well observed. Seeing the Guardia Civil bearing arms at road blocks brought back memories of the Civil War and concentrated minds.There were armoured cars at the top of our track with paramilitaries checking id as you went for your weekly shop at the supermarket. -'They don't take prisoners at this level.'

Bars are now open but it really is very muted. All ferias and festivals cancelled for the foreseeable.There is a backlog of deaths from care homes that is widely acknowledged. It was horrific here at the start.The care home images where staff had died or fallen ill and elderly souls had been abandoned as a result still haunts me. My gut tells me 44,000 excess deaths is about correct. In the village I live in a straight 50 percent of the bars and restaurants have now stated they are closing down permanently. Yet here in the Serriana de Ronda there has not been one case so far. Malaga and Ronda, Fuengirola and Sabinillas yes, but here no.It is an economic and human tragedy. The holiday lets, which are the main source of income here, have evaporated and for many that is a huge blow. Both for the Spanish and those Brits who have property over here and rely to varying extents on the summer income to pay for it all.Whatever. Onwards, upwards. Poor fuckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back