Space Science and Astronomy thread

Was cloudy when i was walking home last night and later in the garden, so saw lots of clouds and a few stars.

I'll have another look tonight. Was probably too early to see them.

Would have seen the Southern Cross and Polaris in the sky at the same time if it wasn't cloudy on holiday. That would have been class.

Did manage to see the Southern Cross though which I was pleased about.

Quick photography tip if anyone wants to try catching one. Get a camera on a tripod or phone mount, set the aperture as open as it it will go, e.g. f/5.6, medium to low ISO and about a 5 second exposure. Set to multishoot if you can and if you don't have a remote shutter release then a 3 second delay after you click so that any camera wobble has stopped. Take as many photos as you can and you may catch one. Modern smart phones can do all this, though I've never tried with a phone.

Loads of more detailed information on observing and photographing here:

The white twisted clouds and the endless shades of blue in the ocean make the hum of the spacecraft systems, the radio chatter, even your own breathing disappear.
There is no cold or wind or smell to tell you
that you are connected to Earth. You have an almost dispassionate platform - remote, Olympian and yet so moving that you can hardly believe how emotionally attached you are to those rough patterns shifting steadily below

Thomas Stafford, Astronaut
Alice B's is my guess.

Wouldn’t mind getting into astrophotography. Got an old 400D which according to the internet should be fine, might have a play about with it before getting a telescope to attach it to.

Drove out to the Florida coast at 2am to watch the Crew 7 launch from KSC last night. Incredible! It made the mad spiral shape in the sky as the booster separated. Huge sonic boom about 10 seconds after it landed too. Many a pant was shat from our viewing point! :lol:

Back