Space Science and Astronomy thread

A rocket part about to hit the moon today

I think it is fantastic that this was picked up by a British amateur astronomer. Quiet a few people watch for unknown asteroids and space junk, usually automated, just a camera connected to an ordinary telescope, plugged into a PC a some software (often self or community written) to look for changes or moving objects. A bit of maths and they have worked out what and when.

The aurora is putting on a great display tonight. We popped out to see if we could catch a glimpse and the clouds came over within about ten minutes of us getting there. However, the view in Shetland is excellent:

Just realised that both solar and moon eclipse have no overlap...what are the chances of that, all distances and sphere sizes spot on.

Odds on that occuring elsewhere in the universe anyone?

Just realised that both solar and moon eclipse have no overlap...what are the chances of that, all distances and sphere sizes spot on.

Incorrect. The moons orbit means that sometimes it doesnt fully cover the sun

Pretty high, I would suspect, given the vast number of galaxies and consequently stars, planets and moons in the universe.

Last edited:
I've just remembered that the moon is moving away from the Earth, so it wouldn't have been so perfect millions of years ago...and won't be in the future.

Ok, that's test passed...I'm now in with the clever blerks :D

DART is 20 mins from slamming into an asteroid to see if we could deflect one if it was coming towards earth.

Going to be pretty spectacular, there is a small cube sat about 3minutes behind recording the impact.
That was awesome looked like the last image was only a few metres above the surface. Now to wait for all the data to come back. Everything including JWST was watching.

Last edited:
Shithouse internet provider cut my connection with two minutes to go. Thankfully saw it on my mobile.

Seems to happen every night. 😐

If anyone has any eclipse glasses or similar solar filter, there is a partial eclipse going on. Only a small amount of the sun covered, up until 11:50. I did mean to post about this a few weeks ago to warn people, sorry.

Saw a bit of it and now thick cloud is rolling in for me. Was trying to get set up for a photo.

NEVER look at the sun directly, even with sun glasses on. You will damage your eyes.

Greenwich are having better weather than me:

If anyone has any eclipse glasses or similar solar filter, there is a partial eclipse going on. Only a small amount of the sun covered, up until 11:50. I did mean to post about this a few weeks ago to warn people, sorry.

Saw a bit of it and now thick cloud is rolling in for me. Was trying to get set up for a photo.

NEVER look at the sun directly, even with sun glasses on. You will damage your eyes.

Greenwich are having better weather than me:
Managed to see a bit using the pinhole technique, but it's not an ideal way of viewing it. I had tried to get some eclipse glasses but they weren't going to get here in time.

More evidence against the Flat Earth, damn that carbon arc crystal projector.

Jupiter looks bloody brilliant tonight. If you have clear skies, look at the moon and see the bright star to the left of it.

Put the telescope out in the garden and showed the boys - they were dead chuffed. Jupiter is J’s favourite because it starts with the same letter as his name. You can very clearly see two moons (not sure which ones?) and I can just make out some bands on Jupiter.

Also took a look at the moon - very clear and can see loads of detail and craters.

Think Santa might bring a better telescope 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Back