South Tyneside Bin Strike

Brezh

Central Defender
No bins collected this week; strike due to "toxic culture".

South Tyneside bin strike means no collections for four days

My experience of them, whether bringing the bin in or our, running or driving is that they are generally pleasant. I remember the coronation last year; other council workers were given time off but not the binmen, it's as they are being treat as second class citizens when they do an essential job.

The green garden waste bin was not emptied last week due to "staff shortages", no more collections until December when it will be the last one of the year. Two collections that I pay for missed, where is my pro-rata refund?

This affects me but because I'm not a selfish twat I support the workers as they are trying to help elderly/disabled people and are getting bollicked for it
A mate of a mate works at South Tyneside and he got bollocked for going into Greggs to get something for his dinner.

When he pointed out it took 5 mins he was told that's 5 more mins of work he could have done.

My experience of them, whether bringing the bin in or our, running or driving is that they are generally pleasant. I remember the coronation last year; other council workers were given time off but not the binmen, it's as they are being treat as second class citizens when they do an essential job.

The green garden waste bin was not emptied last week due to "staff shortages", no more collections until December when it will be the last one of the year. Two collections that I pay for missed, where is my pro-rata refund?

Do you mean other Council workers were allowed to take the bank holiday off.

Don't talk trash.

Sunderland Council are trying to make the binmen work on Boxing Day.

I should bloody think so, get rid of all the wrapping paper much quicker. (I'm joking)

All Councils across UK would have continued to provide essential services over the bank holiday. Why bin collections were considered essential on a bank holiday, I've no idea. Seems a bit mean. I'd guess the staff were either paid enhanced hours for working it or given TOIL

My guess is we'll be moving to a communal bin set up as they do in many other countries eventually. There'll be bags of shite all over the place.
I cannot remember exactly but I think whereas offices were closed for the holiday, bin collections were to their normal schedule.

Yep, would have been. Other than skeleton staff for care services and other essential stuff.

Last edited:
If they can manage to justify reducing the collections to fortnightly, then it stands to reason that giving them the bank holiday off is hardly going to make a difference.

A mate of a mate works at South Tyneside and he got bollocked for going into Greggs to get something for his dinner.

When he pointed out it took 5 mins he was told that's 5 more mins of work he could have done.
At the end of the day, I guess they have to collect a set number of bins. Somedays it may be faster than others depending on traffic, if they choose to call into a shop, what's the problem and what happened to showing some flexibility?

In addition for them having to put up with everyone's rubbish and impatient drivers (I see many idiots bumping up on the pavement and speeding past them on the 'school rat run'), there have been fatalities with the bin wagons.

Bin man dies in ‘incident’ with refuge lorry during morning rounds

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2...00-after-worker-crushed-to-death-by-bin-lorry

the action seems to be aimed at one man in particular. given STC's investigations into other bullying reports it could take years if ever to be completed.

Generally find them a decent bunch South Tyneside bin men. Heard it's to do with one of them being given a warning for helping a oap with there bin . Not sure how true this is. So no cardboard bin emptied this week and no garden bin emptied last week.

Bin men have gone right downhill…leaving bins that are too full, only emptying one bin if you put two out (which I pay for), etc. Generally becoming as much jobsworths as every other profession in the world. Hardly surprising they don’t get Christmas tips anymore

Back