SOS Sunderland Glass Centre

100%.

They've let it go to ruin and I reckon are probably overinflating the estimated costs to put it right. They don't want to maintain it but do have massive expansion plans and I reckon that site is part of them.

I agree. I think they've neglected the maintenance for that long it's got out of hand and now is beyond them to repair. And at the same time, someone has pointed out to them that the land could be worth something and the glass centre itself isn't a big money spinner, so they've arrived at this point

I hope someone at Sunderland city council has tore shreds off the bastards

I agree. I think they've neglected the maintenance for that long it's got out of hand and now is beyond them to repair. And at the same time, someone has pointed out to them that the land could be worth something and the glass centre itself isn't a big money spinner, so they've arrived at this point

I hope someone at Sunderland city council has tore shreds off the bastards
Doesn't look like it unless I've missed something. Seems they have accepted it. Local MP has meekly accepted it.

Went once donkeys years ago. Was probably the dullest hour I've spent in Sunderland (apart from plenty SAFC matches and going to my great aunty jeans on a Saturday afternoon as a kid)

There was almost nothing in it. The highlight being standing on a glass roof looking into....nowt
I've always gone quite regularly and the exhibitions have varied in quality but you get that in all museums / exhibition spaces. I've mostly enjoyed them though I guess this sort of thing is always down to personal taste. Done the glass-blowing a few times which is always great fun and I liked the idea that it was training some great talents in the world of glass (some of the stuff they create has been tremendous and I've bought a few things which have given me great pleasure).

Even if it isn't your thing, you must admit the city will be a worse place for its loss.

100%.

They've let it go to ruin and I reckon are probably overinflating the estimated costs to put it right. They don't want to maintain it but do have massive expansion plans and I reckon that site is part of them.
The man who was responsible for selling off and mothballing quite a bit of the University assets has now gone (retired I believe). He will be behind the shady decision to close down the NGC, with I have no doubt a buyer just waiting in the wings. He doesn't give a shit about Sunderland, he pushed selling off the land at south bents for housing, he mothballed all of the tech park units with the plan of selling it off, he mothballed/closed the Forster building with plans to hopefully sell it off, he made plenty of staff redundant with shit payoffs, he was a bit of a prick to be honest. I have been sat in many a big staff meeting with him and couldn't believe a word that coming out of his mouth.

I hope the NGC is saved and fixed, as because no matter what other posters have said, it is well used, gets some pretty amazing exhibitions by some great national/international artists and also get exciting commissions to create some pretty amazing artists work in glass.

My kids love going especially to make stuff, the place just needs some TLC at the moment.

Problem is there’s only their estimate for the repairs so no one can actually tell if it’s correct.
The issue I have is that huge amounts of public money and grants have gone into the glass centre and I don’t quite understand how the university gets to decide its future. The university didn’t solely fund it but it looks like they’re going to be the sole beneficiary and that’s not right.

The man who was responsible for selling off and mothballing quite a bit of the University assets has now gone (retired I believe). He will be behind the shady decision to close down the NGC, with I have no doubt a buyer just waiting in the wings. He doesn't give a shit about Sunderland, he pushed selling off the land at south bents for housing, he mothballed all of the tech park units with the plan of selling it off, he mothballed/closed the Forster building with plans to hopefully sell it off, he made plenty of staff redundant with shit payoffs, he was a bit of a prick to be honest. I have been sat in many a big staff meeting with him and couldn't believe a word that coming out of his mouth.

I hope the NGC is saved and fixed, as because no matter what other posters have said, it is well used, gets some pretty amazing exhibitions by some great national/international artists and also get exciting commissions to create some pretty amazing artists work in glass.

My kids love going especially to make stuff, the place just needs some TLC at the moment.
I'd always assumed you were a student when you made your username like.
Yeah I know nothing but just making assumptions seeing the plans the Uni has and that it would make sense to have more going on at St Peters. Making it a mega campus. No problem with that but not at the detriment to the people of Sunderland by losing the NGC. I think it's a massive f***ing disgrace and shameful on all involved. Including the councils involvement.

I'd always assumed you were a student when you made your username like.
Yeah I know nothing but just making assumptions seeing the plans the Uni has and that it would make sense to have more going on at St Peters. Making it a mega campus. No problem with that but not at the detriment to the people of Sunderland by losing the NGC. I think it's a massive f***ing disgrace and shameful on all involved. Including the councils involvement.
I created my username while working at another local university, on the banks of the wear. Was supposed to be a temporary username while I thought of a really really really really clever one and then change it. Didn't realise at the time I was stuck with it. 🫣 🤭 other boards let you set an account up and then your display name can be what you want, with you being able to change it.

I created my username while working at another local university, on the banks of the wear. Was supposed to be a temporary username while I thought of a really really really really clever one and then change it. Didn't realise at the time I was stuck with it. 🫣 🤭 other boards let you set an account up and then your display name can be what you want, with you being able to change it.
Ha ha. Aye was the same format as mine when I was a student there. 20 years ago I left :eek:

Back