SOS Sunderland Glass Centre

Got to say as much as I support local heritage that glass centre has never been anything more than oversized coffee shop and gift shop. It's been a white elephant from day one.

I think I heard talk of something being moved into the culture house thing, that or something at the museum would be a fine replacement for me and there's no way I would be spaffing millions at repairing the existing one.
My mate works at the Glass Centre and he phoned in sick this morning.

He had a pane in his stomach.
They didn't believe him, saw right through it.

Uni has no interest in student accommodation, they’ve sold or let the lease elapse on most, happy for the private sector to deal with it.

not sure further teaching space is required either, might as well expand the car park.

Got to say as much as I support local heritage that glass centre has never been anything more than oversized coffee shop and gift shop. It's been a white elephant from day one.

I think I heard talk of something being moved into the culture house thing, that or something at the museum would be a fine replacement for me and there's no way I would be spaffing millions at repairing the existing one.

They didn't believe him, saw right through it.
Went once donkeys years ago. Was probably the dullest hour I've spent in Sunderland (apart from plenty SAFC matches and going to my great aunty jeans on a Saturday afternoon as a kid)

There was almost nothing in it. The highlight being standing on a glass roof looking into....nowt

There's a full report here. Haven't had time to read it but I'd be willing to let someone else read it and give me a brief lowdown 😎

Last edited:
Went once donkeys years ago. Was probably the dullest hour I've spent in Sunderland (apart from plenty SAFC matches and going to my great aunty jeans on a Saturday afternoon as a kid)

There was almost nothing in it. The highlight being standing on a glass roof looking into....nowt
Can’t even do that now apparently unsafe so blocked off.
One of them places always thought about going but never got round to it .
Can’t believe it’s been open that long .

There's a full report here. Haven't had time to read it but I'd be willing to let someone else read it and give me a brief lowdown 😎
Here's an overview I (ahem) put together;

The report compiled by the Campaign to #Save The National Glass Centre outlines several key concerns regarding the decision by the University of Sunderland (UoS) to close and demolish the National Glass Centre (NGC). Here's a summary of the main points:

1. Introduction: The report is compiled by a group campaigning against the demolition of the NGC and aims to present evidence and findings regarding the decision.
  2. Current Functions of the Building: The NGC serves various functions including education, cultural engagement, artistic expression, and community gathering. It is described as a valuable asset to the city.
  3. Community Response: Over 32,000 people have signed a petition to save the NGC, indicating strong public support for its preservation.
  4. Background: The report provides historical context, highlighting the NGC's significance and previous recognition as a cultural asset.
  5. UoS Case for Demolition and Rebuttal: The UoS justifies the demolition based on reasons such as maintenance costs and structural issues. However, the report challenges these claims, questioning the UoS's responsibility as the NGC's owner and steward.
  6. Concerns Raised:
    • Lack of consultation with the community, staff, and users.
    • Economic, cultural, educational, and societal damage caused by removal.
    • Unclear future plans for the site.
    • Neglected maintenance leading to disrepair.
    • Lack of transparency and clarity in the UoS's decision-making process.
    • Potential risks and liabilities associated with demolition and redevelopment.
  7. Financial Considerations: The report questions the UoS's cost estimates for demolition and redevelopment, highlighting discrepancies and potential oversights in the planning process.
  8. Architectural and Environmental Impact: Concerns are raised about the architectural significance of the NGC, potential environmental hazards associated with demolition, and the sustainability of redevelopment plans.
  9. Legal and Ethical Obligations: The UoS's responsibilities as a charitable enterprise and founding partner of Sunderland Culture are discussed, emphasizing the need to act in the public interest.
Overall, the report argues against the closure and demolition of the NGC, citing its cultural, educational, and community value, and urging the UoS to reconsider its decision in light of the concerns raised.

Here's an overview I (ahem) put together;

The report compiled by the Campaign to #Save The National Glass Centre outlines several key concerns regarding the decision by the University of Sunderland (UoS) to close and demolish the National Glass Centre (NGC). Here's a summary of the main points:

1. Introduction: The report is compiled by a group campaigning against the demolition of the NGC and aims to present evidence and findings regarding the decision.
  2. Current Functions of the Building: The NGC serves various functions including education, cultural engagement, artistic expression, and community gathering. It is described as a valuable asset to the city.
  3. Community Response: Over 32,000 people have signed a petition to save the NGC, indicating strong public support for its preservation.
  4. Background: The report provides historical context, highlighting the NGC's significance and previous recognition as a cultural asset.
  5. UoS Case for Demolition and Rebuttal: The UoS justifies the demolition based on reasons such as maintenance costs and structural issues. However, the report challenges these claims, questioning the UoS's responsibility as the NGC's owner and steward.
  6. Concerns Raised:
    • Lack of consultation with the community, staff, and users.
    • Economic, cultural, educational, and societal damage caused by removal.
    • Unclear future plans for the site.
    • Neglected maintenance leading to disrepair.
    • Lack of transparency and clarity in the UoS's decision-making process.
    • Potential risks and liabilities associated with demolition and redevelopment.
  7. Financial Considerations: The report questions the UoS's cost estimates for demolition and redevelopment, highlighting discrepancies and potential oversights in the planning process.
  8. Architectural and Environmental Impact: Concerns are raised about the architectural significance of the NGC, potential environmental hazards associated with demolition, and the sustainability of redevelopment plans.
  9. Legal and Ethical Obligations: The UoS's responsibilities as a charitable enterprise and founding partner of Sunderland Culture are discussed, emphasizing the need to act in the public interest.
Overall, the report argues against the closure and demolition of the NGC, citing its cultural, educational, and community value, and urging the UoS to reconsider its decision in light of the concerns raised.

The university want absolutely shooting with shit for this the greedy incompetent bastards

Back