Somerset and Durham a welcome antidote…

Makes a few good points, but they do like to underplay what the ECB did to us.

'Perceived injustices' you say? Well I say 'fucked over'.

It seems that both Durham and Somerset will be 16.4 venues next year as the number of teams is increased to ten.

You can't have more than 8 teams, it will dilute the quality and TV channels won't show it. FACT.

You can't have more than 8 teams, it will dilute the quality and TV channels won't show it. FACT.
Simply quoting from an article by the editor of the Cricketer. Don't shoot the messenger.
As to " perceived " injustices -Atherton is a fine cricket writer but he never criticises the establishment which considerably negates his credibility.

Simply quoting from an article by the editor of the Cricketer. Don't shoot the messenger.
As to " perceived " injustices -Atherton is a fine cricket writer but he never criticises the establishment which considerably negates his credibility.
I know man, just regurgitating the bullshit they came up with when they tried to justify the 16.4 in the first place.

8 teams, anything else is commercial suicide.

Or maybe 39.

…to crickets identity crisis.

Excellent article by Michael Atherton.
Great article. And he's very very right, franchises are bad news, they belong in business (Macdonalds) not sport.

Exactly the same in football, I think we all grew up kicking a ball around for hours on end and dreaming to play for our local club. Cricket must not go down the either the franchise route nor the Premier League route if it values it's soul. imho.

It's all about passion, skill, not pound notes and the size of another blokes bank account.

To be honest I don’t have any issue in this instance with what he’s saying, of course we know the truth and I suspect Athers will deep down too - but the article wasn’t about the injustice and if he went on about that too long and in too much detail it loses the intended point.

To be honest I don’t have any issue in this instance with what he’s saying, of course we know the truth and I suspect Athers will deep down too - but the article wasn’t about the injustice and if he went on about that too long and in too much detail it loses the intended point.

It's quite amusing seeing all the pundits dance round the subject of the 100 mind. No way on earth someone like Butcher doesn't know it's been a total shit show. Fwiw I don't blame them for holding back. They are always going to push it whilst the ECB and particularly there employers Sky are still promoting it

I know man, just regurgitating the bullshit they came up with when they tried to justify the 16.4 in the first place.

Or maybe 39.
You do realise the players want this.

100 grand for a month's work.

It's not all the ECB and counties you know.

Why do you want to deny the players earning money???

They had the biggest say in the Hundred.

Money money and retire when 32 bowl 4 overs a week bar for 30 balls.

sadly it will be 10 sooner rather than later. I rather suspect that will further increase to 12 by the time the next decade rolls around.

12 is an important number, because, if I understand it correctly, that is the number of counties required to vote through any changes to county cricket, so if 12 counties sign up to host franchises and make shed loads of money for themselves, then they are less likely to resist changes that protect that increased income and that makes it much easier for FTECB to mould county cricket into anything they like....... fewer counties, 10 CC matches a year, CC played in April, May, Sept.... all that bollox.

You’re half right. It isn’t the format they want, it’s the money. Otherwise they’d be turning down all those gigs in the other T20 competitions around the world that pay great money…
sadly it will be 10 sooner rather than later. I rather suspect that will further increase to 12 by the time the next decade rolls around.

12 is an important number, because, if I understand it correctly, that is the number of counties required to vote through any changes to county cricket, so if 12 counties sign up to host franchises and make shed loads of money for themselves, then they are less likely to resist changes that protect that increased income and that makes it much easier for FTECB to mould county cricket into anything they like....... fewer counties, 10 CC matches a year, CC played in April, May, Sept.... all that bollox.

I get the logic, but Surrey were always going to be involved in any franchise idea and yet they’ve remained vehemently against it since day one.

Last edited:
Fair.

I just like to beat the drum about how much we were shafted, never forget.

Why do you want to deny the players earning money???

They had the biggest say in the Hundred.

Money money and retire when 32 bowl 4 overs a week bar for 30 balls.
You're proper weird like.

Can you not just stick to making up ridiculous stats about the 16.4?

They will win in the end, I don't doubt it for a second.

You just have to look on this forum for people who were all to quick to sacrifice absolutely everything good about the game for some shiny new bauble. Didn't matter how shit the new bauble was, doesn't matter how precious the history is, all sacrificed for mediocre players hitting sixes. As many as possible, as quick as possible.

Last edited:
You just have to look on this forum for people who were all to quick to sacrifice absolutely everything good about the game for some shiny new bauble. Didn't matter how shit the new bauble was, doesn't matter how precious the history is, all sacrificed for mediocre players hitting sixes. As many as possible, as quick as possible.
and yet, once again, it's another low scoring match in the one day cup that turns out to be the real thriller. Funny how often that happens, but seemingly clubbing sixes on a pitch the size of a billiard table is the real high thrill cricket..... :rolleyes:

Back