Some IT help regarding buffering etc

Cee Jay

Striker
Try to keep replies simple etc as I'm fairly clueless on this stuff.

Basically we use a bike/turbo in the garage and I run Zwift on it while the wife uses Les mills classes while on the turbo/bike.

I get very little buffering while on it whereas the wife gets almost constant buffering on her Les Mills classes. She tried downloading onto her I pad rather than connect through the internet but still buffering just as much.I thought if the was watching a download buffering wouldn't be an issue ?
She's just tried watching same download in the house and this was fine.
This makes me think it's a weak wi fi signal in the garage( even though my Zwift works fine in there)

Is it a wi fi or internet connection ? If a wi fi issue would a wi fi booster sort it ?

I know not exactly 3rd world problems but cheers for any help.

Ta

Basically we use a bike/turbo in the garage and I run Zwift on it while the wife uses Les mills classes while on the turbo/bike.

I get very little buffering while on it whereas the wife gets almost constant buffering on her Les Mills classes. She tried downloading onto her I pad rather than connect through the internet but still buffering just as much.I thought if the was watching a download buffering wouldn't be an issue ?
This makes me think it's a weak wi fi signal in the garage( even though my Zwift works fine in there)

Is it a wi fi or internet connection ? If a wi fi issue would a wi fi booster sort it ?

Ta
What is all this wizardry

Ta
Off/On

Ta

do a speed test on the device you’re using in the place you’re exercising. Check how many mbps you’re getting. If it’s really low and these pelaton style things are videos it’s likely the connection to your house isn’t good enough or the videos won’t stream fast enough over WiFi.

Ta

Could be that the video is too high quality for the device to process. Are you trying to watch a 4k or 1080p video? Try watching one at a lower quality and see if it still happens.

Could be that the video is too high quality for the device to process. Are you trying to watch a 4k or 1080p video? Try watching one at a lower quality and see if it still happens.
I'm thinking it's something like this.

Yesterday she tried it and was buffering in the house rather than in the garage so suggests not really a wi fi signal issue.
She did say they've recently released a new version of the App ( Les Mills) and on their site FAQ's is does mention that if buffering occurs you may need a very fast/strong internet speed.

We have the Virgin second from bottom broadband speed which was always enough until now.

I'm thinking it's something like this.

Yesterday she tried it and was buffering in the house rather than in the garage so suggests not really a wi fi signal issue.
She did say they've recently released a new version of the App ( Les Mills) and on their site FAQ's is does mention that if buffering occurs you may need a very fast/strong internet speed.

We have the Virgin second from bottom broadband speed which was always enough until now.

You did say it was buffering on her iPad when she'd actually downloaded it and therefore wasn't streaming it over wifi or the internet, so your internet/wifi speed wouldn't be the problem in that case.

That suggests to me that the iPad doesn't have the graphics processing power needed for the file, which would likely mean that the file is VERY high quality like a 4k.

You did say it was buffering on her iPad when she'd actually downloaded it and therefore wasn't streaming it over wifi or the internet, so your internet/wifi speed wouldn't be the problem in that case.

That suggests to me that the iPad doesn't have the graphics processing power needed for the file, which would likely mean that the file is VERY high quality like a 4k.
Yeah buffering even on a downloaded file which I didn't think would happen.
How does she, indeed if she can reduce the quality of the download ?

Yeah buffering even on a downloaded file which I didn't think would happen.
How does she, indeed if she can reduce the quality of the download ?

There are two possibilities as far as I'm aware:

1: Download a different version of the file at a lower quality.

Or 2: Import the high quality one into some reasonably sophisticated video editing software and export a new version of the file at lower quality.

Obviously option 2 is a no go for the vast majority of people, in which case option 1 is probably your only choice.

Ta

Test your speed on a device that is plugged into the router with a cable to get your true speed.
If this looks OK then it looks to be the router itself can't handle pumping a video through the wifi.

Some of these free hubs are cheap and cheerful and work fine for facebook but struggle if the feed takes up a lot of bandwidth.

My system was transformed when I bought a MESH system, it plugs into your router and provides a separate wifi net in your house that bypasses the standard weedy one that comes inside your own router.

Just go to amazon and search for MESH wifi. a basic system will set you back less than £100.

This is the bit that doesn't make any sense.

When streaming in the garage - Buffering
Download in advance, then watch in the garage - Buffering
Download in advance, but watch in the living room - Fine

Is that right?
Seems there's something else not quite right here. Are you sure you're actually downloading and playing back the downloaded version properly?
Seems there's something else not quite right here. Are you sure you're actually downloading and playing back the downloaded version properly?
Oh, you can test this theory by disconnecting from wifi before you start it.

Last edited:

Is that right?

My first thought was the same as you, if the download works fine in one place but not in another it’s probably not the downloaded file that’s being watched (or the file has been downloaded to a network device and not the iPad).

My money is on this bring a wifi issue, especially if the garage is detached there is no chance there will be a decent wifi signal in there. My wifi set up struggles with hd in the garage at times and that’s using a good mesh network with the 2 access points as close together as possible. I really need to run a cable but I can’t be arsed.

My first thought was the same as you, if the download works fine in one place but not in another it’s probably not the downloaded file that’s being watched (or the file has been downloaded to a network device and not the iPad).

My money is on this bring a wifi issue, especially if the garage is detached there is no chance there will be a decent wifi signal in there. My wifi set up struggles with hd in the garage at times and that’s using a good mesh network with the 2 access points as close together as possible. I really need to run a cable but I can’t be arsed.
I had my garage converted in January, and we moved the Nest control unit from the hallway to the garage (right next to the boiler) as part of the wiring and pipework tidy up stage right at the start.
Straightaway, the Nest unit itself couldn't communicate with the control box. But as soon as we knocked through (for the doorway), it worked again.
So aye, garages - especially double skinned walls - are killers for wifi signals.

Last edited:
How old is the iPad ?
To be fair I have thought this might be an issue...fairly old one ( though working fine) and only 32gig of storage

Is that right?

She tried watching it indoors yesterday ( a downloaded file on her I pad ) and buffering then.

To be honest my Zwift watching is fine indoors or out so should tell her to crack on and sort it herself :lol:

Last edited:

Ta

she's downloading video files while doing her classes whilst your only sending / receiving tiny packets of data while zwifting (and your laptop/pc/ipad/whatever) is doing the heavy lifting graphics wise

(well as heavy as zwift can be)

TLDR - its a tinternet issue

she's downloading video files while doing her classes whilst your only sending / receiving tiny packets of data while zwifting (and your laptop/pc/ipad/whatever) is doing the heavy lifting graphics wise

(well as heavy as zwift can be)

TLDR - its a tinternet issue
Forgive my cluelessness...but if she downloaded a class in advance onto her device rather than watch it "live" through the app/web page I didn't think that would buffer ?
Always thought just like when you download something to watch on a plane without being connected to web/tinternet ?

Just replaced my I pad this week so might try and get her to see if download or even watching it on mine is any better

Back