Sol Campbell

The bloke is an absolute nutjob and clearly mentaly ill. I wouldn't leave him in charge of a teddy bears picnic never mind a group of young footballers. But I guess there are boxes to be ticked and nothing is more important than that.

The Times reported yesterday;

"The appointment, which is part of an FA scheme to promote black, Asian and minority ethnic coaches, is initially for one international break but Boothroyd has not ruled out the prospect of adding the 44-year-old to his backroom team for next summer’s tournament in Italy and San Marino."

Why would you want an egotistical mentalist like him coaching anyone or influencing any younger players at all?

If he can bring something new to the table, their shouldn't be a problem after all he was a top class player, frankly i think the FA need to go further and allow all ex England internationals a chance to coach the young players of tomorrow, Paul Scholes for example and even Alan Shearer and the rest from that era, who are now retired, allow them in more often at St Georges Park, the reason i bring this up is having watched a documentary on Bobby Moore the other week, and how he was treated, he should of been training England's next generation easy along with a few others from 66, so i now see why the players from previous England sides should be involved if only to pass on the experiences of tournament football.

If he can bring something new to the table, their shouldn't be a problem after all he was a top class player, frankly i think the FA need to go further and allow all ex England internationals a chance to coach the young players of tomorrow, Paul Scholes for example and even Alan Shearer and the rest from that era, who are now retired, allow them in more often at St Georges Park, the reason i bring this up is having watched a documentary on Bobby Moore the other week, and how he was treated, he should of been training England's next generation easy along with a few others from 66, so i now see why the players from previous England sides should be involved if only to pass on the experiences of tournament football.
Agreed on all points..... just not Sol for the reasons already stated. Massive ego, chip on his shoulder, just not the influence you want on the young players at all.

The bloke is an absolute nutjob and clearly mentaly ill. I wouldn't leave him in charge of a teddy bears picnic never mind a group of young footballers. But I guess there are boxes to be ticked and nothing is more important than that.
This.

Agreed on all points..... just not Sol for the reasons already stated. Massive ego, chip on his shoulder, just not the influence you want on the young players at all.

Their is of course another way of looking at it, once he gets down to it, and start coaching them his ego may lessen, and maybe the young will take to him after all he knows what they will face in the future, some of them who make it will go to world cups and euros, and telling them of his experiences now maybe good for them, i am just giving him a chance, he has shouted for so long to get it, now he has it, lets see what happens.

Their is of course another way of looking at it, once he gets down to it, and start coaching them his ego may lessen, and maybe the young will take to him after all he knows what they will face in the future, some of them who make it will go to world cups and euros, and telling them of his experiences now maybe good for them, i am just giving him a chance, he has shouted for so long to get it, now he has it, lets see what happens.
There isn't really. Why risk the damage when there are plenty others who have similar experience to him but carry less baggage. Anyway, it's done now, the FA have successfully ticked their box.

In principle, I agree. The likes of Sheringham, Scholes, John Terry, Lampard and Gerrard (even if they're managers), Ferdinand, Shearer and even the likes of Joe Cole, Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Nicky Butt etc should be given opportunities to work with the lads. However Campbell seems the type to want to promote his self by using the opportunity to teach younger lads.

What has he done to warrant being part of the England U-21 setup? He hasn't even done anything to warrant a job in League 2 never mind that. He's a complete tosser.

He doesn’t seem to realise that his constant outbursts and meltdowns about not getting a job may put off potential recruiters considering him, they’ll just say he has too much baggage now and stay well clear.

I get he’s trying to promote equality but it’s all been me me me with him and constant ego.

In principle, I agree. The likes of Sheringham, Scholes, John Terry, Lampard and Gerrard (even if they're managers), Ferdinand, Shearer and even the likes of Joe Cole, Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Nicky Butt etc should be given opportunities to work with the lads. However Campbell seems the type to want to promote his self by using the opportunity to teach younger lads.
Yeah brill, the ‘golden generation’ failures can teach promising young players about being egotistical womanising tits.

Half decent players (those you mention were overrated and shite compared to their international contemporaries) won’t necessarily be very good coaches.

To be honest he seems to have gone a bit wrong, but when joey Barton is given a managers job, and is giving it a good crack, that argument seems to hold less water.

Good points.
Sheringham - could be beneficial
Scholes - working on BT, mustn't fancy coaching
Terry - assistant at Villa
Lampard - managing Derby
Gerrard - managing Rangers
Ferdinand - BT, probably doesn't fancy coaching much either
Shearer - loving life on MOTD
Cole - just retired, give him a chance
Barry - still playing
Carrick - coach at Man Utd
Butt - head of academy coaching at Man Utd

Out of a strong list of experienced ex england players, not many of them would appear interested. Fair play to Campbell for wanting to get in there and do it. If he's rubbish at it, he'll be sent on his way. If he's good then everyone is happy. Nothing to lose in this situation.

Back