Snapped clutch spring on a Vauxhall Corsa

Number one son bought a new Vauxhall Corsa earlier this year. Not my voice of car but he earns his own money and makes his own decisions. Bought through Peter Vardy as they are very strong in the marketplace where he lives and Vauxhall is pretty much what they do up there.

Couple of weeks ago the car had a snapped clutch spring, out of action. It emerges this isn't the only Corsa that's had this fault. They're fannying on saying it's taking them a while to get the part.

In the meantime he's a bit concerned about whether this is a common fault in that model and whether it could go again while he's on the motorway or something.

So for the car experts of the SMB:

Is this a common fault? Is it likely to go again once it's been fixed?

What are his rights as a consumer? Presumably it's not as simple as just throwing the car back at them and getting his money back, so what can be do to get this sorted and make sure the car doesn't have this problem again?

Number one son bought a new Vauxhall Corsa earlier this year. Not my voice of car but he earns his own money and makes his own decisions. Bought through Peter Vardy as they are very strong in the marketplace where he lives and Vauxhall is pretty much what they do up there.

Couple of weeks ago the car had a snapped clutch spring, out of action. It emerges this isn't the only Corsa that's had this fault. They're fannying on saying it's taking them a while to get the part.

In the meantime he's a bit concerned about whether this is a common fault in that model and whether it could go again while he's on the motorway or something.

What are his rights as a consumer? Presumably it's not as simple as just throwing the car back at them and getting his money back, so what can be do to get this sorted and make sure the car doesn't have this problem again?
I've got a newish corsa, my sisters got a brand new one, we've never heard of it being an issue although there was a general recall earlier this year for something to do with emissions luckily mine wasn't affected.

As it's brand new he will have warranty to cover him for a few years incase it does happen again I'd imagine

On a side note... "number one son"... Do you rank all your kids? :lol:

Last edited:
He’ll have no right to reject the vehicle unless it does become a persistent problem. His statutory limitations will have passed by now.

You’ve got to put your faith in them fixing it. Ask if the new part is the same as the old, and if so why has it not been improved? It’ll have a new (superseded) part number if it’s been changed at all.

Ask if it’s a rework or recall or just a general repair. If a general repair I’d be sceptical if a straight replacement part would fix it long term. If it’s a rework or recall the part / placement / fitment of the part will likely have been changed to prevent future failure.

I don’t know what spring you’re on about but you can’t worry about the “what if it goes on the motorway” scenario. You’d never drive again.

If he really wants to reject the vehicle, which the dealer has no obligation to do, he needs to play the confidence card. But you’d look a bit of a dick kicking off to that extent over one minor fault.

Make sure he calls customer services and logs a case in case of future issues. Costs nowt and gives him some recourse further down the line.

FWIW, I found PV very good to deal with when I sorted out buying my brothers car. I also used to work for RV and they were also good.

Last edited:
Like Goat says not sure what spring has snapped ,there's springs in the drive plate but cant see it being them and clutches are easy to get .Maybe a small return spring on the pedal ? who said its a common problem ? them ?
if it was case of clutch foot goes to floor and kaput it could be an issue in a motorway situation
need a bit more info
I agree on your recurring concern,i'd have that out with them .Maybe its been improved on replacements

Clutch pedal return spring ? new spring or complete new box ?

Back