Smoking Phased Out

Start taxing vapes heavier.
There's also the issue around pensions costing more with less people dying earlier from smoking
75000 die through smoking every year. Over a ten year period all those people living longer into old age, almost a million more pensioners living longer will put social care costs through the roof 😁

Tobacco companies still got a hold on certain Tories?

A combinations of that and some libertarians.

This will be one law from this Conservative government that Labour won't be repealing once in power and could be a sign of future health controls to come from Labour once in power.

Can we tax fatties next then?
There already is a sugar tax
Do they not pay more in tax than it costs?

With it banned, non-smokers are going to have to cough up more for the NHS

You're right that tax revenue is more than direct healthcare costs, looking at that. But smoking is still a massive net drain on the economy.

Last edited:
And costs associated with being older then increase (pensions & social care)
Which is something we or they at the time will have to pay for. We could unban asbestos, lead paint, reverse the seat belt laws, stop research in cancer and heart disease.
All of those policies will get life expectancy down.
Do they not pay more in tax than it costs?

With it banned, non-smokers are going to have to cough up more for the NHS
Hospital treatment is only a fraction of the cost though. I wonder how many working age people can't work due to health problems related to smoking.

Last edited:
Can I just ask, those of you who have children, do you want them to grow up to be smokers? Do you actively hope they start smoking?
My eldest has the occasional roll up when out social ising. I'm disgusted by it and she knows myself and her mam's feelings about it .

Bright as a button but wtf is that about

My eldest has the occasional roll up when out social ising. I'm disgusted by it and she knows myself and her mam's feelings about it .

Bright as a button but wtf is that about
My son was the same. It turned into a habit and 15 year later he's still a smoker (vapes now and tobacco for smoking weed). Both me and the wife have never smoked and like you he knew how we felt about it. It's one of those situations where you can try too hard to steer them away and they rebel even more. I still don't think he wants to give up. He's intelligent but is stubborn and doesn't seem capable of looking to the future and how his health will be affected. His gran died from lung cancer but that had zero affect. It's ultimately their life and choice though. Not saying this will happen with your daughter mind!

On the surface, I agree. But will it simply create a new line of criminal supply? Never really a fan of banning things that people can do in their own time. I'm largely in favour of legalising most drugs - just no advertising, products must be safe and high quality, and highly taxed to cover the costs associated with it.
Not sure why tabs are any different tbh.

Back