Smoking Phased Out

Haway marra you an intelligent lad but that's not an argument. On the same basis should we be selling heroin over the counter? I know that's taking it to the extreme but thats basically the argument you are making
Yes. I think all drugs should be decriminalised.

Edit - this would obviously go hand in hand with the education argument. Which will never happen in our democratic system, so is probably unworkable.

Last edited:

What a surprise. Instead of educating people away from a harmful product, they have to create a law. They’ll never go down the road of educating people properly because at the end of it lies their ultimate defeat. Revolution through education. They’re shit scared of it.

Don’t tell me what I can and can’t put in my own body. Allow me agency over risk assessment. Sometimes I like to do things that I know are detrimental to my health or potentially dangerous as that’s how I know I’m alive and accepting of mortality. Sometimes a negative thing like smoking can actually be a life-affirming statement. I am alive, I have free will, I have agency over myself. As long as I am only physically ‘harming’ myself, it’s nobodies right to tell me I can’t. Just that I probably shouldnt.

Fag packets have had dangers of smoking plastered all over for years.
We've had tv ads, posters and other campaigns telling people smoking is bad.
We have stop smoking services.

They're far from "shit scared" of it, they're fighting against idiocy and stubborn fuckers who aren't bothered about the consequences or the people around them they're harming.
See the morons pushing prams with a fag practically in their kid's face.
Which is banning slowly.

Ironic that it's not going cold turkey really.

Worth it for the end goal of eventually having no smoking at all but yeah it'll be next to impossible to police before it gets there

I do think in general smoking is fading out naturally anway

Anybidy who legally smokes now will not be affected by this at all ..

It's targeting the current 15 year olds and younger.. surely that's a good thing.

It won't stop smoking amongst some young but it should reduce it.. that along with making it more expensive will see it diminish over a number of years
This, absolutely.

I've never been a smoker but I'd be against this if they were suddenly telling adults that they can't smoke any more. As others have said, I wouldn't want them suddenly saying I couldn't have a pint, which is also unhealthy and can lead to high costs for the NHS etc.

This law doesn't do that. It simply means that it's a lot less likely for my child to grow up as a cigarette smoker. Surely even those who smoke would say they'd rather their kids didn't, so I don't really see why anyone would have an issue with it. No one who smokes (legally) now is having it taken away from them.

I'm struggling to see any positives on the side of allowing kids to get into smoking. Hopefully the stuff about vapes is effective as well because it's mad how many kids you see puffing those.

I’d love to know how many executives working in the tobacco industry actually smoke, and how many of them have kids who smoke.

It’ll be barely any. The ***** will happily profit of the misery of working class people tho.

I would pay to see the meltdown in their boardrooms when this receives royal assent.

I’d love to know how many executives working in the tobacco industry actually smoke, and how many of them have kids who smoke.

It’ll be barely any. The ***** will happily profit of the misery of working class people tho.

I would pay to see the meltdown in their boardrooms when this receives royal assent.
Tbh vast majority of money is made outside the UK anyway.. Asia, Africa and South America

A few years back at one large cigarette company I was asked in to do a bit of work for them to screen their customers, employees and suppliers against the sanctions lists.

In Reception they have posters with carefully worded messages along the lines of "The welfare and health of our customers is incredibly important to us"

Errrrrrr..... OK.

Yes. I think all drugs should be decriminalised.

Edit - this would obviously go hand in hand with the education argument. Which will never happen in our democratic system, so is probably unworkable.

It all depends on how you define a "drug" - are you talking just recreational drugs, all pharmaceutical products or even all pharmacology active substances? Anything which effects the human body is technically a drug.

I 100% believe that smoking would be illegal if so many people, including MPs didn’t have a financial interest in the large tobacco companies.

Haway marra you an intelligent lad but that's not an argument. On the same basis should we be selling heroin over the counter? I know that's taking it to the extreme but thats basically the argument you are making

Yes we should probably regulate the supply of heroin in fact we do to a degree (methadone). Countries with a more progressive stance as regards decriminalisation of supply and education of addicts tend to have more positive health and societal outcomes tbf

Back