Smokers

dangermows

Striker
Just been a discussion on the wireless about how smoking has no place in the modern world. Which was a strange conclusion IMO.

Also repeatedly concluded smokers are selfish people. Never smoked myself but have plenty of mates who did, and some that still do, and none of them are selfish people, yet that insult is always hoyed about.

Smokers are people too remember. And they also put plenty of cash into the coughers.

Just been a discussion on the wireless about how smoking has no place in the modern world. Which was a strange conclusion IMO.

Also repeatedly concluded smokers are selfish people. Never smoked myself but have plenty of mates who did, and some that still do, and none of them are selfish people, yet that insult is always hoyed about.

Smokers are people too remember. And they also put plenty of cash into the coughers.
*coffers

As a smoker for most of my life, they're right, no matter which way you cut it. Smoking is just plain stupid.

I still say ban smoking now at the age of children starting school - 12yrs to get used to the idea and they will be the first teens to start life essentially tobacco free.

I think smoking is a crackers thing to do. Pubs much better places since the ban. However if smokers want to contribute huge amounts of tax to the system, that's up to them.

We’re also very aware drinking is a crackers thing to do, health wise, yet we all do it. Most of us anyway.

As a smoker for most of my life, they're right, no matter which way you cut it. Smoking is just plain stupid.

I still say ban smoking now at the age of children starting school - 12yrs to get used to the idea and they will be the first teens to start life essentially tobacco free.

Push something people will definitely keep doing under the regulation of the law and create a larger criminal economy?

Topper idea imo that mate.

Last edited:
We’re also very aware drinking is a crackers thing to do, health wise, yet we all do it. Most of us anyway.

Push something people will definitely keep doing under the regulation of the law and create a larger criminal economy?

Nearly ever smoker I know is desperately trying to quit. I and my fellow drinkers drink when we wish to.

No it won't and yes it is. Some will go against the grain but with the right positive minded campaign over the next decade and a bit I reckon that the vast majority would be on board.

Very few people start smoking in their mid 20s. Stop the companies targeting teenagers and we're well over halfway there.

Still generates a fair bit of duty.

Banning it simply opens up a bigger black market.

I think smoking is a crackers thing to do. Pubs much better places since the ban. However if smokers want to contribute huge amounts of tax to the system, that's up to them.
It's offset by how much strain they put on the NHS, though.

Last edited:
No it won't and yes it is. Some will go against the grain but with the right positive minded campaign over the next decade and a bit I reckon that the vast majority would be on board.

Very few people start smoking in their mid 20s. Stop the companies targeting teenagers and we're well over halfway there.

But it would only be banned in this country so pretty easy for criminal gangs to get hold of and sell. Drugs are illegal but absolutely rife more than ever I would say, banning smoking won’t prevent it. It will just lose millions in tax and line the pockets of the underworld.

I always find it strange though how smokers are vilified yet most people drink alcohol which causes no end of health issues and crime, fighting etc etc. No one calls for that to be banned?

Last edited:
Banning it simply opens up a bigger black market.
But it would only be banned in this country so pretty easy for criminal gangs to get hold of and sell. Drugs are illegal but absolutely rife more than ever I would say, banning smoking won’t prevent it. It will just lose millions in tax and like the pockets of the underworld.

I always find it strange though how smokers are vilified yet most people drink alcohol which causes no end of health issues and crime, fighting etc etc. No one calls for that to be banned?
A black market that can target a very narrow age bracket of 4/5 years - tops. There will be very little need for black market for tobacco.

1 word, cancer.

My brother in laws Mam was rushed into hospital yesterday. She found out she had lung cancer about a month ago, already having breathing difficulties, doesn't look good for her. At least she's had a half decent innings unlike my aunt who died in her 40's from lung cancer.

I honestly can't fathom why anyone would smoke when that timebomb is ticking in the background. A total mugs game.

There are absolutely no benefits, you stink, so does your breath, it costs a fortune and it's killing you!

Back