Smiths machine for squats ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiredEyes

Winger
Yes or no ?

I felt a twinge in my lower left back this afternoon and it's from this mornings session, either doing squats or the rowing machine I think.

I do light squats in the smiths cage and today I noticed my left knee buckling inwards slightly on all the lifts and figure it's poor form due to the lack of movement within the cage, perhaps putting pressure on my back ??

Any idea ??

Yes or no ?

I felt a twinge in my lower left back this afternoon and it's from this mornings session, either doing squats or the rowing machine I think.

I do light squats in the smiths cage and today I noticed my left knee buckling inwards slightly on all the lifts and figure it's poor form due to the lack of movement within the cage, perhaps putting pressure on my back ??

Any idea ??

it hurts my right knee to do a smith squat, I find keeping my knees together means it doesn't hurt, as my gym doesn't have a hack squat machine.

free squats when you go past parallel will be much safer.

The gym I go to hasn't got an Olympic bar, so it's the smiths cage or free squats, think it'll have to be free squats.

:confused:

put your heels on a pair of 2.5 kilo weights to transfer your weight slightly forward like a pair of weightlifting shoes would

Give a breakdown of your form if you can, how wide are your feet, foot position etc.

If your knees are coming inwards during light squats, I'd imagine it's a foot position issue.

I watched a Rippetoe video and tried to follow that but in the smiths cage/machine.

Feet slightly wider than shoulders, feet at "10 to 2" stance, lower right down, drive hips up.

put your heels on a pair of 2.5 kilo weights to transfer your weight slightly forward like a pair of weightlifting shoes would

Gonna try this, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back