SMBs top musician

I sang Sex on Fire on karaoke while running along the Felling bypass in the GNR but I changed the lyrics to me legs on are on fire.
That was one of my acoustic numbers, once while dodging empty bottles of Jagermeister being thrown from behind the bar.

The Pet Shop Boys offshoot record label (Spaghetti) rang me up after we sent them our demo tape (early 90s). I thought it was someone taking the piss so I told the bloke to fuck off. It turns out it was really them then they rang back when I was on a lads holiday and my mam forget to tell me :confused::) bang went my budding pop star career

Your Oasis comments have haunted you ever since.
That's impressive. Was it pre-The Police?

My belief was that at that point the Police had formed, but done nothing yet, Sting was in something called "Last Exit" before that, but I was on the stage as part of a full Newcastle School's orchestra, so it sounds better than it actually was!!

Music was literally my life from the 1991 to about 2012 but key period was 1994 -1997 iirc
Our band 'The Just' was formed in Milton Keynes where we all met in our mid teens. When we left Mk we were the biggest band in Buckinghamshire, selling out every gig. We mostly played the Woughton Pitz as the capacity was around 500.
We relocated to Brighton in 1994 with a plan, to conquer it and then London. Within 6 months we had A+R at gigs, people trying to be our manager. A gig at The Brighton Center in the pipeline with the main promoter covering that area. We made friends with Bobbie Gillespie from 'Primal Scream' via his very good friend who also became our good friend. We got a gig reviewed in Melody Maker which 'Gillespie' also attended. Met tons of people, too many to remember. And then, imploded, I quit.

After a huge fight with the bands leader, who I started to hate. The band split up for a while. Maybe 6/8 weeks or so. We got encouraged to reform as there was a great buzz about the band. We tried but I left again within a week or so. The damage was done. We'd been best friends since we were 14/15. Felt like a divorce. The other two carried on and were successful again. They moved to London and did the same thing there. I saw the publishing deal offer from London Records via fax haha

At a crucial point the band collapsed again. This time two key members fell out and it was over. The two founding member s fell out, my best friends since childhood. I only speak to one of them these days and that was after a decade or so of healing and moving on. Our whole lives were resting on the band being successful. there was no plan B.

During those Brighton and London years I saw the rise and fall of many bands but the ones some of you might know is 'British Sea Power' and ..i'm struggling to remember actually... 'Matchbox 80s b-line disaster' but that was towards the end of the decade. I've forgotten a lot, it was over two decades ago. I carried on writing some of my stuff is/was on Youtube. Even did a song with our very own FYL2U.

I know we have quite a few talented people on here but who has come closest to the 'big time' (or even got there). Has anyone ever played on a chart record? Played in front of 2000 people?

I played with Prefab Sprout a couple of times in their early days but it was just helping out in rehearsals and I was never good enough to be any more involved (I think they were mainly after my amp😁).
DJ’d in front of hundreds, possibly a thousand quite a few times. Got Future Music ‘top 10 tunes this month’ & included on their cover CD. Worked with the guy that produced Lemonheads album. (Hopefully) music used on a big computer game coming out in ‘24.

So, no. :lol:
Had a few records released years ago, rave music, probably sold 600ish copies and DJd in Liquid Envy (Old Ikon) and Newcastle Uni (Judgement Day venue) a few times in-front of 1000+ people. Not a musician by any stretch of the imagination, can play keyboard very basic and love designing sounds on old VA synths etc…
Links to yer ravey tunes mate?

Last edited:
My band signed a record deal. Part of the deal was that we never, ever try and record and release any music ever.

We took that. It was for the best for everyone.

(The drummer’s wife was a successful musician with her own record label - she signed us)

Think I've got half a chance in this pissing competition...

Played guitar in a band featured as the last item on Look North with Mike Neville in circa 1976.

Assuming the viewing figures at that time were around half a million I claim top prize.

We got paid off at Heworth Club two weeks later so that was the end of my live career.

Last edited:

Back