SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Dan Evans through to the 2nd round of the Loughborough Trophy and beating the 2nd seed so effectively takes over the seeding in that half. You would expect him to beat someone ranked in and around #200, certainly a year ago, but it's good to see him back winning matches and slowly climbing the rankings.

Liam Broady lost his French Open qualifier, losing both sets on a tie break, but Watson won her first WTA match for months earlier.

I see Bouchard won one of the nine games in her qualifier today before retiring. Can't remember a fall from grace like the one she's had. Everyone compares her to Kournikova but she just gave up and that was mostly because of injuries, it's not really the same. She's always came across as a complete brat but I'm starting to feel sorry for her now.

Anyway, French Open draw's in a few hours. Haway the draw.

Dan Evans through to the 2nd round of the Loughborough Trophy and beating the 2nd seed so effectively takes over the seeding in that half. You would expect him to beat someone ranked in and around #200, certainly a year ago, but it's good to see him back winning matches and slowly climbing the rankings.

Liam Broady lost his French Open qualifier, losing both sets on a tie break, but Watson won her first WTA match for months earlier.

Watson has followed this by losing to a qualifier today. Taylor through but Boulter out in qualifying. Lastly, Norrie into the quarters in Lyon where he faces Isner.

I see Bouchard won one of the nine games in her qualifier today before retiring. Can't remember a fall from grace like the one she's had. Everyone compares her to Kournikova but she just gave up and that was mostly because of injuries, it's not really the same. She's always came across as a complete brat but I'm starting to feel sorry for her now.

Anyway, French Open draw's in a few hours. Haway the draw.

Tomorrow at 6 uk time I think mate.

Watson has followed this by losing to a qualifier today. Taylor through but Boulter out in qualifying. Lastly, Norrie into the quarters in Lyon where he faces Isner.

Shame for Watson but not too bad when it's someone who's young with the potential and charisma to be good for the sport. She does need to think about where she's going though as a modest grass season will see her sink like a stone.

There's been that much going on, I completely forgother about Norrie playing so that'd good news as he's largely had a poor few weeks results wise so this will do him the world of good.

Taylor plays the person who put out Boulter. Katie not a natural at all on clay and was 5/1 so no disgrace with that scoreline. I'm sure she won something like 14 points in a row in that first set when I was following it and was 4-2 up in the second so Taylor may have a decent chance for further progression and points. Taylor was either 3-5 or 4-5 down in the first set so won 9 or 10 games on the spin but her match up was much kinder.

Last edited:
Tomorrow at 6 uk time I think mate.

Shame for Watson but not too bad when it's someone who's young with the potential and charisma to be good for the sport. She does need to think about where she's going though as a modest grass season will see her sink like a stone.

There's been that much going on, I completely forgother about Norrie playing so that'd good news as he's largely had a poor few weeks results wise so this will do him the world of good.

Taylor plays the person who put out Boulter. Katie not a natural at all on clay and was 5/1 so no disgrace with that scoreline. I'm sure she won something like 14 points in a row in that first set when I was following it and was 4-2 up in the second so Taylor may have a decent chance for further progression and points. Taylor was either 3-5 or 4-5 down in the first set so won 9 or 10 games on the spin but her match up was much kinder.

Aye you're right. I thought it was Thursday :lol: this has been a long week.

Aye you're right. I thought it was Thursday :lol: this has been a long week.

I was thinking today was Thursday myself earlier today mind.

Looking forward to the draw love breaking it down. There doesn't appear to be as many dangerous floaters in the women's side this time as the usual suspects have either got themselves seeded this time or are just poor on clay, but the draw is so important and the men's 17-24 seeds look a lot stronger than the 16-23 this year so should be very interesting. Will definitely watch that live.

I was thinking today was Thursday myself earlier today mind.

Looking forward to the draw love breaking it down. There doesn't appear to be as many dangerous floaters in the women's side this time as the usual suspects have either got themselves seeded this time or are just poor on clay, but the draw is so important and the men's 17-24 seeds look a lot stronger than the 16-23 this year so should be very interesting. Will definitely watch that live.

Yeah you're right about the seeding groups in the men's section, there was a list on Twitter the other day about who Edmund was likely to play in the third round if it goes to seed and it looked awful. I hadn't realised until I saw that.

Possible for a top ten seed to open up with Serena in the first round, Azarenka in the second and Sharapova in the third. That would be some effort. Although I did see a short clip of Serena the other day on Chatrier and I'd be surprised to see her win many matches here.

Yeah you're right about the seeding groups in the men's section, there was a list on Twitter the other day about who Edmund was likely to play in the third round if it goes to seed and it looked awful. I hadn't realised until I saw that.

Possible for a top ten seed to open up with Serena in the first round, Azarenka in the second and Sharapova in the third. That would be some effort. Although I did see a short clip of Serena the other day on Chatrier and I'd be surprised to see her win many matches here.

Aye, I obviously meant 9-16 and 17-24 (not 16-23 :lol:). So instead of playing a the likes of PCB, RBA (who admittedly are decent on clay) but also Schwartzmann, Sock and Querrey in the last 16, you could be up against Novak, Shapo, Kyrgios, Kei, Stan and even Fognini who on his day is very dangerous, so Edmunds good run of form has probably slightly backfired on him. Then again, those who I have listed in the 17-24 group are largely injury prone, hence their ranking, so may either withdraw or lose early anyway.

Forgot about Azarenka. I really thought Serena would have pulled out to be honest and was shocked to see her practising in Paris the day after the wedding, so credit there, but I'm not expecting too much from her. Someone like Sakkari, Kanepi, Kuznetsova if she roles back the years, or maybe Kuzmova could do some damage, but the likes of Sharapova, Kontaveit, Mertens, Osaka and Bertens (who would have slipped without this great clay run) who could have been dangerous are all seeded now.

Isabelle Wallace who was born and raised in Scotland to Scottish parents, but spent her years from 10-16 in Australia (and subsequently switched nationalities due to lack of LTA support) won the Aussie reciprocal wildcard thing and has qualified for the main draw. I suppose GB has benefited from similar scenarios over the years, but it will be interesting to see how she does.

Taylor's match to start on c 14 as soon on the Blinkova match is finished. I see she is 4/1 to win, so a big outsider. Thought it might have been a lot shorter after Boulter pushed her very close yesterday. Doubt it will be in the main Eurosport channel.

Cracking win there for Norrie over Isner. Through to a semi final and will lock himself firmly in the top 100 now and good momentum for the French.

Last edited:
Yeah. Best of his career (Davis Cup heroics apart)?

I'd personally say it was and definitely the most important one. While suspect on clay, Isner is still in the top 10 and Spain obviously had other chances to turn that tie back around, which they did. The RBA win probably would have got him more headlines in the tennis and sporting world being on BBC, but this run will open up so many more doors and can enter more events now through choice.

2018 French Open – Men's Singles - Wikipedia

Nadal will be loving that draw considering the only 3 that could potentially do him some damage are in the bottom half.

Possibly looking at something like:

Nadal vs Schwartzmann
Edmund/Fognini/Cilic vs Delpo (if fit) - decent enough draw for Kyle
Goffin vs Djokovic
Thiem vs Zverez

Norrie starts with Gojowczyk, both making their FO main draw debuts, both will be reasonably happy with that.

2018 French Open – Men's Singles - Wikipedia

Nadal will be loving that draw considering the only 3 that could potentially do him some damage are in the bottom half.

Possibly looking at something like:

Nadal vs Schwartzmann
Edmund/Fognini/Cilic vs Delpo (if fit) - decent enough draw for Kyle
Goffin vs Djokovic
Thiem vs Zverez

Norrie starts with Gojowczyk, both making their FO main draw debuts, both will be reasonably happy with that.

First thought for me is that it's not bad for Edmund. Norrie, I've no idea...

Back