SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Would be a huge blow to Wimbledon, Queens, BBC but obviously most of all to Murray. Another potential setback after already taking a year out will be very hard to take and he's not getting any younger.

There'll still probably be as many, if not more, Brits competing than usual at Wimbledon, but with Edmund not great on grass and given the leading 2 women's form, British interest could legit be over by the end of round 2.

Was literally just about to say this. On the larger scale, and in line with the above Murray news, it is probably bad for tennis overall, but it's a great scalp especially after losing the second set seemingly comprehensively.

Yeah. I think the time of the big 4 is slowly coming to an end. Federer is skipping clay anyway so some competition for Nadal would be good.

On the other hand, with Murray out and Konta out in a different way, some British success is good news! Moves Edmund into the top 20 for the first time. Further wins and top 16 would be really good!

Not just the top four either. The likes of Wawrinka, Tsonga, Monfils, Berdych, Ferrer, Feli Lopez and Verdasco all seem to be slipping further down the rankings for one reason or another. Tommy Haas has retired, Lleyton Hewitt has 'retired'. Even the likes of Tipsarevic, Robredo, Almagro, Simon, Karlovic, Youzhny and Troicki who were in and around the top ten at some point this decade are disappearing.

Seems like a big change is probably close.

Not just the top four either. The likes of Wawrinka, Tsonga, Monfils, Berdych, Ferrer, Feli Lopez and Verdasco all seem to be slipping further down the rankings for one reason or another. Tommy Haas has retired, Lleyton Hewitt has 'retired'. Even the likes of Tipsarevic, Robredo, Almagro, Simon, Karlovic, Youzhny and Troicki who were in and around the top ten at some point this decade are disappearing.

Some good youngsters around

I obviously prefer WTA and will know of and have seen pretty much everyone in the top 200 play at least once, but looking at the ATP top 100, there's a fair few in there who I'm just not really familiar with - the likes of Cecchinato (64), Berankis (93) etc. and you look at some of the players who have won 250 titles or made finals so far this year - Basic, Copil, Gojowcyzk, the aforementioned Cecchinato, Sousa, Daniel, Jazizi, Millman, you could have added Sandgren before his shock AO run. A lot of these guys have seemingly come from nowhere and entered the top 100 as a result of these runs and most of those will be mid to late 20s, so not exactly young breed. It's probably a direct consequence of all those injuries and some of the others who would normally be competing for these titles are now making 1000 and 500 entry lists outright so are instead concentrating on those. It is a bit of a strange time.

The ATP obviously know this is very much a transitional time and to be fair are doing a decent job in promoting the likes of Zverez, Shapovalov, Tsitsipas, Chung.

I obviously prefer WTA and will know of and have seen pretty much everyone in the top 200 play at least once, but looking at the ATP top 100, there's a fair few in there who I'm just not really familiar with - the likes of Cecchinato (64), Berankis (93) etc. and you look at some of the players who have won 250 titles or made finals so far this year - Basic, Copil, Gojowcyzk, the aforementioned Cecchinato, Sousa, Daniel, Jazizi, Millman, you could have added Sandgren before his shock AO run. A lot of these guys have seemingly come from nowhere and entered the top 100 as a result of these runs and most of those will be mid to late 20s, so not exactly young breed. It's probably a direct consequence of all those injuries and some of the others who would normally be competing for these titles are now making 1000 and 500 entry lists outright so are instead concentrating on those. It is a bit of a strange time.

The ATP obviously know this is very much a transitional time and to be fair are doing a decent job in promoting the likes of Zverez, Shapovalov, Tsitsipas, Chung.
Cecchinato was close to being banned for match fixing 2 years ago. He managed to avoid a ban and has been playing really well since.

Two players to look out for in the future are Casper Ruud and Nicola Kuhn, they will be top 10 for sure.

Definitely. Someone young has to make the breakthrough at some point. It may, of course, be that we have a spell when no two or three players dominate.

A slight aside but it still amazes me that Zverev is world number 3 and he's only reached round 4 of a slam once.

Cecchinato was close to being banned for match fixing 2 years ago. He managed to avoid a ban and has been playing really well since.

Two players to look out for in the future are Casper Ruud and Nicola Kuhn, they will be top 10 for sure.

Auger-Aliassime? I don't know a lit about him but he's the only 17 year old in the top 200.

I've heard of Ruud but not the other, so will keep an eye on those as well as FAA as Arkle mentions.

Definitely. Someone young has to make the breakthrough at some point. It may, of course, be that we have a spell when no two or three players dominate.

A slight aside but it still amazes me that Zverev is world number 3 and he's only reached round 4 of a slam once.

Auger-Aliassime? I don't know a lit about him but he's the only 17 year old in the top 200.
He reminds me of Gael Monfils. Very tall and athletic.

Good. I'm glad he's not just a bulky kid with a big serve, which can sometimes be the case with someone that young doing well.
I hate watching big servers. Raonic is my all time tennis villain. I like players with craft and guile. Dhumzur and Goffin are the best two returners if serve and shot makers, they just struggle to hold serve so they don't win many titles and get the credit they deserve.

I hate watching big servers. Raonic is my all time tennis villain. I like players with craft and guile. Dhumzur and Goffin are the best two returners if serve and shot makers, they just struggle to hold serve so they don't win many titles and get the credit they deserve.

Yeah, Raonic, Anderson and Isner currently are all players that I'm not a big fan of. Karlovic is my ultimate villain though...

Auger-Aliassime does have a huge serve as well, considering he's only 17 and still needs to fill out then it's presumably only going to get bigger. Great athlete, great movement and 6'3 as well. He looks like he could potentially have just about every physical aspect you could want.

Hard to predict who's going to win Slams really. Dimitrov will probably get one even though I don't think he's good enough. Zverev will, if he improves his forehand then he could win a lot of them. Thiem will win in Paris eventually. Not sure there's any other stand out candidates at the minute that look likely to happen anytime soon. Don't think anyone predicted Stan Wawrinka would win one Slam never mind four until 2013 so who knows?

More impressed by that win today for Edmund than the one over Djokovic. Guessing he'll be favourite regardless of who wins between Shapovalov and Raonic but he's probably better off against Shapovalov on clay.

More impressed by that win today for Edmund than the one over Djokovic. Guessing he'll be favourite regardless of who wins between Shapovalov and Raonic but he's probably better off against Shapovalov on clay.

I think so. Shapovalov hasn't done a lot on clay prior to this week, has he?

Back