SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Another disappointing slam really

Federer v Chung
Cilic v Edmund

Such a disappointing likely semi final line up , to many injuries over the last few slams causing a lot of average players to get to semis and even finals, it’s just no fun to watch at the minute .

Federer v Chung
Cilic v Edmund

Such a disappointing likely semi final line up , to many injuries over the last few slams causing a lot of average players to get to semis and even finals, it’s just no fun to watch at the minute .

Really? Better than watching the same players playing the same matches against each other. Cilic is already a slam winner and Edmund and Chung both have potentially promising careers and might not be the last time we see either of them in a GS semi.

Really? Better than watching the same players playing the same matches against each other. Cilic is already a slam winner and Edmund and Chung both have potentially promising careers and might not be the last time we see either of them in a GS semi.

That's the thing. They're 23 and 21. If it was say Kevin Anderson (31) or Sam Querrey (30), it'd be different but men's singles tennis has been crying out for some new blood to reach the business end of a slam since, well, since Djokovic, Murray and Wawrinka joined Federer and Nadal amongst the tennis elite...

Federer v Chung
Cilic v Edmund

Out of curiosity, what would have been your ideal slam semi final line up?

Dimitrov/Kyrgios vs Nadal
Zverev/Djok vs Federer

Might have been better as a lot would have been expecting at the 3rd round stage, but as others say, Chung and Edmund are young and fresh. Edmund's run has been very good for the sport here in the absence of Murray and Konta being in terrible form - you just need look on here, a lot more activity today than the same people commenting.

I like Chung and he has had back to back great wins and performances and he is developing his own character and a bit more aura about him now as well - his English has come on leaps and bounds and he could have a nation or even region behind him if he keeps on progressing. That said, I'd be gutted if Sandgren wins tomorrow :lol:.

I didn't watch many men's matches in the early stages as I prefer WTA, but when there's been some good matches at the more business end - Nick/Dimi, Chung/Djok, Cilic/Busta off the top of my head.

He's got a point. It's been a decent tournament and I've enjoyed it but there's a bloke in a Grand Slam quarter final who's won two matches above challenger level in his career and zero before 2018.

They obviously deserve their spots but would people honestly rather watch any of those match ups than Federer v Djokovic? It hasn't happened in two years.

I think this will be Edmund's peak. He has improved a lot and might get into the second week in future hard court tournaments but I can't see this being a consistent thing.

Cillic has been around forever and only won one slam, average player at best.
Chung beat a half fit Djokovic and Edmund will probably never get to another semi final in his life.
The way things are going Federer will still be playing in ten years time when he’s almost 50 and still winning slams, would much rather see Federer,Nadal,Djokovic,Murray,Wawrinka all fit and playing each other than all these average players getting to semis/finals like has happened over the last few slams now. Even the likes of Dimitrov,Zverev, Thiem Raonic etc who are all bigged up havnt been able to take advantage.

Last edited:
Same could be said for the women mind. Take away Serena, and it’s Kerber, Wozniacki, Svitolina (though she lost today), Halep and Pliskova usually making the business end.

I’ve enjoyed this more than then usual walk overs for the big 4. Can understand why some are not as optimistic as me, mind.

The women's game has had a few new winners recently. Sloane Stephens and Ostapenko. I'm sure Halep will win the French this year. Maddison Keys is likely to win one soon.

Kei Nishikori is playing a challenger event in Newport Beach tonight.

Last edited:
Same could be said for the women mind. Take away Serena, and it’s Kerber, Wozniacki, Svitolina (though she lost today), Halep and Pliskova usually making the business end.

I’ve enjoyed this more than then usual walk overs for the big 4. Can understand why some are not as optimistic as me, mind.

In slams? Obviously the BO3 over 5 makes upsets a lot more likely in the women's, but the latter stages of women's slams has been a lot more diverse than that over the last few years - Svitolina is basically the male Zverev, does well at 1000's / Premier Mand/5 events but struggles in the slams. Never been past the QF stage and this was her first ever QF outside of the FO. Pliskova before US Open 2016 literally hadn't reached a second week of any slam and she's nearly 26. Last 24 slams, Woz has made a F, 2 SF (inc this one) and a QF - and has had 11 1st or 2nd round exits in that period.

As @JL1985 says, you had 2 new young slam champs last year, plus Muguruza has 2 slams and a further final since 2015 as well as 2 other QFs. Venus - 2 finals and a semi last year. Halep has generally been consistent in the slams as was Kerber, bar a shocking 2017. Loads of contenders in the women's, I hope usual order doesn't commence though when Serena returns.

The women's game has had a few new winners recently. Sloane Stephens and Ostapenko. I'm sure Halep will win the French this year. Maddison Keys is likely to win one soon.

Kei Nishikori is playing a challenger event in Newport Beach tonight.

Yeah, agree with those 2 statements, still can't believe how shocking Sloane has been since her slam - 8 defeats and only one set won since - Keys will be kicking herself.

I see Norrie is out of that Newport tournament, he has gone off the boil since October when many were expecting him to break the top 100 to get DE into the Aussie Open. He beat Sandgren 3 weeks in a row in US challengers, won 2 of those events, a shame how they've gone in opposite paths since then.

Last edited:
In slams? Obviously the BO3 over 5 makes upsets a lot more likely in the women's, but the latter stages of women's slams has been a lot more diverse than that over the last few years - Svitolina is basically the male Zverev, does well at 1000's / Premier Mand/5 events but struggles in the slams. Never been past the QF stage and this was her first ever QF outside of the FO. Pliskova before US Open 2016 literally hadn't reached a second week of any slam and she's nearly 26. Last 24 slams, Woz has made a F, 2 SF (inc this one) and a QF - and has had 11 1st or 2nd round exits in that period.

As @JL1985 says, you had 2 new young slam champs last year, plus Muguruza has 2 slams and a further final since 2015 as well as 2 other QFs. Venus - 2 finals and a semi last year. Halep has generally been consistent in the slams as was Kerber, bar a shocking 2017. Loads of contenders in the women's, I hope usual order doesn't commence though when Serena returns.

Yeah, agree with those 2 statements, still can't believe how shocking Sloane has been since her slam - 8 defeats and only one set won since - Keys will be kicking herself.

I see Norrie is out of that Newport tournament, he has gone off the boil since October when many were expecting him to break the top 100 to get DE into the Aussie Open. He beat Sandgren 3 weeks in a row in US challengers, won 2 of those events, a shame how they've gone in opposite paths since then.

A quick look at the WTA rankings say that in the current top eight five players have been world #1 at some point. And that is excluded names like Kerber, Sharapova and Serena. The women's game is much more open than the men's, I would say. If either of them could do with some fresh blood it is the men's ranking, surely.

I learned something new the other day. I knew when a tie-break comes on that both players get an extra challenge. But I never knew they get three fresh challenges each at six-all in the final set. :oops:

A quick look at the WTA rankings say that in the current top eight five players have been world #1 at some point. And that is excluded names like Kerber, Sharapova and Serena. The women's game is much more open than the men's, I would say. If either of them could do with some fresh blood it is the men's ranking, surely.

I learned something new the other day. I knew when a tie-break comes on that both players get an extra challenge. But I never knew they get three fresh challenges each at six-all in the final set. :oops:

Yeah. I'd agree that there are 6/7/8 who have been consistent on the women's tour over the last couple of years which is good, but some of those have underperformed in the slams. Mladenovic will drop well down the rankings soon as she has lost 15 games in a row :eek: dating back to the start of the US Summer swing and I can also see Konta unfortunately slipping, especially if she does poor in Miami in March where she is defending 1000 points - an early exit there and you're looking at 20-25 and she is usually poor on clay so not expecting much in April/May and then she would have to do very well on grass again to even stay around those positions. Of course, she could do well as the Indian Wells-Miami double in March where 2000 points are at stake and could be closing in on the top 5 again - really interesting times.

I'd expect Barty to continue to climb and Keys is surely destined for the top 10 soon even if she loses tonight. Sharapova will keep getting wildcards to whatever events she wants, so should get back into the top 20 soon (41 now). Mertens is currently 20 in the live rankings, will go to 14 if she beats Woz and #9 if she wins it all. She is an improving player and is on a great run (10 or 11 wins in a row), I had her down as an outside chance to make the QFs a few pages back but didn't expect her to at least make the SFs here.

I've got to admit that I've never really rated Kyle Edmund. Always thought he was too much of a bottler with basically Jo Wilfried Tsonga without the net play.

He's held his nerve in a couple of five setters here though and closed it out against Dimitrov so this could be a career defining tournament for him.

As for the quality left, I'm hoping Federer joins those who have gone out. Him beating a succession of shit opponents would be one of the worst outcomes.

In order of preference, I'd like the following to win...

Edmund
Chung
Berdych
Sandgren
Cilic
Federer

Cue a Federer v Cilic final!

Hoping for an Edmund Chung final.

I've got to admit that I've never really rated Kyle Edmund. Always thought he was too much of a bottler with basically Jo Wilfried Tsonga without the net play.

He's held his nerve in a couple of five setters here though and closed it out against Dimitrov so this could be a career defining tournament for him.

As for the quality left, I'm hoping Federer joins those who have gone out. Him beating a succession of shit opponents would be one of the worst outcomes.

In order of preference, I'd like the following to win...

Edmund
Chung
Berdych
Sandgren
Cilic
Federer

Cue a Federer v Cilic final!

Minus the blisters hopefully.

Back