SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

A 4/4 record through the clay swing this season and a first round defeat from 2-0 up... better than Novak Djokovic on clay IIRC.

I know it's because of how lopsided the draw is but we're only a day in and Casper Ruud is fifth favourite for a Slam title :lol:

They say the French Open is playing like the Australian so far, be interesting to see if Nadal can officialy become the GOAT in 12 days time or if the supposed hardcourt like surface means Djokovic will end up winning it.

Yet again I'm massively impressed with Cam Norrie. Been a better player since lockdown than I ever expected him to be. Playing well again today, needs more power in both serve and groundies to actually trouble Nadal but this is a good performance. 3-3 in the second here and he'll lose in straight sets but he just looks really impressive to me.

This is the way to play against Nadal on clay IMO. Don't swing for the fences, play measured but play aggressively. No surprise that it's people like Djokovic, Rublev, Zverev and Thiem who give him a match on this surface. Can stand up to him, can defend a backhand, take a backhand down the line and can play front foot without smashing every ball. Sascha Zverev's probably how you'd perfectly build a player if you wanted someone to beat Nadal on clay. Will never understand why Djokovic played like he did in the final last year.

Williams out even earlier than usual, a straight sets, fairly comfortable defeat really. Said it for almost 18 months now, but unless everyone on the tour suddenly gets Covid or pulls out of a tournament, she's got no chance of another major. Same problem every time - too slow, too many unforced errors, and too many younger, fitter, better players.

Hopefully she's playing for the enjoyment, rather than searching for the 24th. However, it does looks like she's just making herself upset and angry the more she fails to win. She was almost in tears multiple times during the match.

This is incredible, genuinely incredible.

I still fancy Nadal to win here but Djokovic is an absolute machine. The level of mental strength to play like this against Nadal on Chatrier is... insane.

Nadal's only ever played two five setters at Roland Garros IIRC. Djokovic in 2013 and clay court God John Isner. Soderling beat him in four and Djokovic beat him in straight sets.

That return on break point :lol: eeh f***ing hell he is an absolute joke. How is that even possible :lol:

Last edited:

Back