SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

At least the US Open's happening behind closed doors.

Wimbledon would have had to be confirmed as happening a fair while ago, nobody knew what was really happening so not sure it was possible.

Next week would have been Wimbledon.

Surely could have gone ahead for fans to watch. Not the same obviously but would have been great to see still.

A lad I play tennis with had to return his men's final tickets. Gutted.

The email I got from Wimbledon said those that had been allocated tickets would have first option to buy the exact same tickets for 2021, so he should be ok if he has nothing else spoiling next year.

The email I got from Wimbledon said those that had been allocated tickets would have first option to buy the exact same tickets for 2021, so he should be ok if he has nothing else spoiling next year.

It was part of the LTA ballot as opposed to the general public one. As the LTA hadn't fully allocated their club tickets, as it is done in stages, they cancelled the ones that had gone out.

It was part of the LTA ballot as opposed to the general public one. As the LTA hadn't fully allocated their club tickets, as it is done in stages, they cancelled the ones that had gone out.

Ah ok, I always apply through the public one. Didn't get anything this year but have been lucky enough in the past so pleased for those that haven't been and can go next year.

Djokovic tested positive, own stupid fault.
Good, sheer stupidity putting the event on then ignoring any form of social distancing
You shouldn't laugh but haway man :lol: what were they expecting? Seems his wife has it as well.

He turned down getting tested before he went home because he didn't have any symptoms as well, dafty.
which breaks travelling rules as he's now brought corona into his country
Ah ok, I always apply through the public one. Didn't get anything this year but have been lucky enough in the past so pleased for those that haven't been and can go next year.
I've already resigned myself to camping overnight next year, was prepared to do so this year

Last edited:
I would have loved Wimbledon to go ahead with no fans - I watch plenty of WTA tennis is China with next to nobody in attendance, so the lack of fans wouldn't have bothered me, but I think they made the correct decision. Who knows, it may have been different if they didn't have their insurance, and they may have pushed for it more (like the other slams), but they have to make these decisions well in adance - the US Open made their decision last week, also 2 and a half months out, but the situation is generally better than it was in mid April when Wimbledon made theirs, so I don't think they could had much choice.

They could have pushed the date back 2 or 3 weeks with the Olympics already being cancelled at that stage, and that would have given them a litle bit more leeway, but tennis is probably the most global sport in the world, with players (and their team, or limited to one coach) coming in from all 4 corners of the world, and due to the surface, they also weren't in the position of the French Open to pluck a date much later in the year (pissing off a lot of stakeholders in the process), so I think they made the correct decision.

It would have been nice if they had an event similar to this current Amazon Prime 'Battle of the Brits', at Wimbledon for British players, but had 8-16 men and 8-16 women, on grass, on the BBC (red button if needed, finals on BBC1), and decent prize money (although obviously nothing like grand slam levels of money). That would have been decent and you would have had a mix of big (or familiar) names like the Murrays, Konta, Watson, and Evans, and a few prospects who could have got their name out more, but I guess these other mini UK events will have to do for now. Good coverage here on Prime to be fair.

It would have been nice if they had an event similar to this current Amazon Prime 'Battle of the Brits', at Wimbledon for British players, but had 8-16 men and 8-16 women, on grass, on the BBC (red button if needed, finals on BBC1), and decent prize money (although obviously nothing like grand slam levels of money). That would have been decent and you would have had a mix of big (or familiar) names like the Murrays, Konta, Watson, and Evans, and a few prospects who could have got their name out more, but I guess these other mini UK events will have to do for now. Good coverage here on Prime to be fair.

Their coverage has been consistently great since they started covering tennis, very pleasantly surprised! Blows Tennis TV out the water.

Can't judge Murray based on one match against a poor opponent but he looked alright earlier, not great. Good to see him - I guess kinda necessary these days - play bigger, more attacking tennis. Still think he might look back on his career one day and think he could have at least doubled his Slam tally if he played like that more often. See how he gets on against Kyle tomorrow I guess.

He's still got it though

Their coverage has been consistently great since they started covering tennis, very pleasantly surprised! Blows Tennis TV out the water.

Can't judge Murray based on one match against a poor opponent but he looked alright earlier, not great. Good to see him - I guess kinda necessary these days - play bigger, more attacking tennis. Still think he might look back on his career one day and think he could have at least doubled his Slam tally if he played like that more often. See how he gets on against Kyle tomorrow I guess.

He's still got it though

Yeah, I've been really impressed with their WTA coverage since the start of the year. Really extensive, and upload matches straight away.

I didn't see the Murray match as I was watching the football, but even for this type of event, that's a comfortable looking score line, and probably wider than I expected. I did see a bit of the Jamie Murray doubles, most of Edmund and some of Evo's match. I'll try and watch his match with Edmund tomorrow, but I see it's the 4th match again, so it will likely directly clash with the 6pms.

Murray will struggle to get back to the very top, no way can he possibly get back to the level he was used to, unless he is hoping he can outlast the other 3 and nobody comes through to win a slam but I would be massively surprised if he got anywhere near winning a slam again.

I've quite enjoyed the daily Sue Barker programmes on BBC2 each evening. Going through classic matches of each round that it should have been.

Good to see a few more British events go ahead without any hiccups. #2 seed Jodie Burrage and #3 seed Emma Raducanu have made the final of the first of four British Tour events at the National Tennis Centre, and will be on the LTA's YouTube and Facebook pages from 10am tomorrow.

Its also good to see that the BBC have picked up online coverage of an event from Tuesday 14th-18th July with Rob Curling and Anabel Croft as part of their presenting / comms team. Heather Watson, Harriet Dart, and Katie Boulter (plus Burrage and Raducanu) are all involved. Should be decent, and hopefully it'll be a bit like that men's event on Amazon Prime that Jamie Murray organised last week.

Back