SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

So Ash Barty vs Julia Goerges in the Birmingham final and if Barty wins, she will be world #1, and will be guaranteed that #1 seeding at Wimbledon. It does seems only a matter of time before it happens, but it is a pretty big deal for the Birmingham tournament. That final is today at 1pm on Eurosport.

Federer vs Goffin in Halle final (Amazon Prime, 12pm), Bencic vs Kenin in Mallorca final (BT Sport, 3.30pm), and marathon man Feliciano Lopez vs Giles Simon in the Queens singles final (Prime and BBC, 1.30pm). Lopez then of course has his doubles final with big Muz not long after that, against another British player Joe Salisbury and his partner Ram.

Also 2 big finals in Ilkley today - Dennis Novak vs Dominik Koepfer at 11am, and then Babos vs Niculescu at 2pm and the respective winners will both claim the final Wimbledon main draw wildcard, and it will be the qualifying for the losers - so a huge incentive there.

Speaking of qualifying, the men's Q draw should be out later today (possibly after the Ilkley final) with play starting tomorrow, and the women's should be out tomorrow with play starting on Tuesday.

Well done Barty. Is it just me, or can anyone else just not warm to her?

She's not my favourite, but she's been the most consistent player for the past 9 or 10 months so it's well deserved. Obviously not helped by Serena being involved for so long, but there's a lot of very good players who have never managed it like Radwanska, Kuznetsova and Kvitova, the latter may get another chance, but it is a big deal. It was passed around a fair bit when Serena went on maternity, but I think Barty will keep it for a while - looks like she intends to still play Eastbourne and she went out in the 3rd round of Wimbledon last year, so there's a good chance to put herself even further from the rest in the coming weeks.

Only Court 11 is streamed though which is disappointing. So tomorrow that's Choinski vs Duckworth, Vesely vs Bolelli, JP Smith vs Mahut, Young vs Gerasimov.

Those are the red button matches anyway, not sure if the rest will be on betting sites. Hopefully they are.

BBC Red Button
Will i be able to get that on skygo

Only Court 11 is streamed though which is disappointing. So tomorrow that's Choinski vs Duckworth, Vesely vs Bolelli, JP Smith vs Mahut, Young vs Gerasimov.

Those are the red button matches anyway, not sure if the rest will be on betting sites. Hopefully they are.
Am i thinking of something else or wernt some on Eurosport last year

Last edited:
Will i be able to get that on skygo

Am i thinking of something else or wernt some on Eurosport last year

Can't recall that, and think they only had their daily highlights show (main draw) and the respective finals. Those red button matches should be the BBC website, so you'll be sorted that way. Eurosport have WTA Eastbourne this week (shared with BBC) starting from tomorrow, even though most 1st round matches were today.

I'm not sure buddy. They'll probably be showing it on the bbc sport website as well.
Im back from holiday Tuesday so willcatch a fair bit this week

Can't recall that, and think they only had their daily highlights show (main draw) and the respective finals. Those red button matches should be the BBC website, so you'll be sorted that way. Eurosport have WTA Eastbourne this week (shared with BBC) starting from tomorrow, even though most 1st round matches were today.
Really not sure who to bet on womens wise this year

Im back from holiday Tuesday so willcatch a fair bit this week

Really not sure who to bet on womens wise this year

Barty should be favourite. She's on a roll, so hard to beat at the moment, and grass is her favourite surface.

The French Open draw did fall away a bit with Kvitova pulling out on the day, so after the draw, meaning her seeding was replaced by a Lucky Loser. Bertens retiring through illness at the start of her 3rd round match, and Kerber not really being match ready - that's 3 of your top 8 seeds, 2 of the main favourites, and none made the 2nd week. If the likes of Kvitova (a big doubt) are going to pull out of Wimbledon, I hope it's before the main draw is made, so the seeds are still placed accordingly.

I'd like someone else to win it, but my money would be on Barty.

Barty should be favourite. She's on a roll, so hard to beat at the moment, and grass is her favourite surface.

The French Open draw did fall away a bit with Kvitova pulling out on the day, so after the draw, meaning her seeding was replaced by a Lucky Loser. Bertens retiring through illness at the start of her 3rd round match, and Kerber not really being match ready - that's 3 of your top 8 seeds, 2 of the main favourites, and none made the 2nd week. If the likes of Kvitova (a big doubt) are going to pull out of Wimbledon, I hope it's before the main draw is made, so the seeds are still placed accordingly.

I'd like someone else to win it, but my money would be on Barty.
Barty 9/2 serena 6/1anyone outside them you get decent odds

Barty 9/2 serena 6/1anyone outside them you get decent odds

Her lack of movement and big serves and shorter points will obviously be much more suited to Wimbledon than Roland Garros, but I can't see Serena winning this, and 6/1 is poor value IMO, despite her 7 titles. Bencic at 22/1, could be good value. Might have had a quid or two on Konta as well, but would want more than 14/1. The draw on Friday will be very interesting, and I'll wait until them to have a flutter.

There's going to be the lowest amount of British female entrants in well over 20 years, unless there's a surprise qualifier, which I can't see.

Back