SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Surprised to see Anderson go out so early.

Aye, that was a fairly big shock. Tiafoe hasn't had as much success as some of the other young'uns like Tsitsipas, Coic, ADM, Shapovalov, Khachanov and of course Zverev, but that's a huge win for him. Good efforts by both Evans and Boulter in defeat, particularly Dan in the first two sets and was 5-3 up in the first tie break - hopefully gets in the top 100 by Wimbledon and then back in the top 50 at some point after that.
Huge statement from 17 year old American Amanda Anisimova who beat the solid 24th seed Tsurenko 6-0 6-2. Plays Sabalenka next and can't wait to see that one.

Anderson's probably the first actual shock I'd say, Vekic losing surprised me quite a bit as well.

Huge statement from 17 year old American Amanda Anisimova who beat the solid 24th seed Tsurenko 6-0 6-2. Plays Sabalenka next and can't wait to see that one.

I've got a bad feeling she may get walloped off the court right from the start. Hope not because as you say, it looks a great match up. That whole section of the draw is absolutely loaded.

Anderson's probably the first actual shock I'd say, Vekic losing surprised me quite a bit as well.

I've got a bad feeling she may get walloped off the court right from the start. Hope not because as you say, it looks a great match up. That whole section of the draw is absolutely loaded.

I didn't see the Anderson match but they were saying he had the trainer out a bit for some kind of arm injury, so you'd think that would probably have had an impact. Helps Dimitrov a bit who needs to reach the quarters, just to stand still in the rankings.

Big surprise with Vekic but she was a bit pathetic tbh. She raced into a 5-1 lead in the second set, left it too late to challenge for a Birrell GP just to make it 5-2 and from there she just went off the boil, lost the next 2 games, still won the set, but her mentality was shit pretty much from that challenge onwards. Lost 9 of last 11 games.

Yeah, loads of good matches in that part of the draw - Bencic winning more matches recently, so should give Petra a game. Woznaicki v Sharapova is probably the biggest in terms of name value and Barty vs Sakkari should be interesting as well - that'll likely be RLA or if not MCA and that'll be a big boost to Barty as if it was on Melbourne Arena or any of the other outside courts for ground passes, Sakkari would probably get more vocal support as the Greek fans have been so loud.

I've really enjoyed this tournament so far, helps when a lot of your favourties progress to create these tasty looking matches.

Good for the tournament that the big daft serving robot Anderson is out and has no chance of serving himself to another slam final before being completely outclassed.

On another note how fit is Wawrinka these days? He’s 3/1 to beat Raonic which is a massive price if he is anywhere near full fitness.

Last edited:
Good for the tournament that the big daft serving robot Anderson is out and has no chance of serving himself to another slam final before being completely outclassed.

On another note how fit is Wawrinka these days? He’s 3/1 to beat Raonic which is a massive price if he is anywhere near full fitness.

I think he was behind the other day before his opponent retired. That is a good price.

I certainly wouldn't mind a ticket on Rod Laver tonight - that's a great line up for just the 2nd round.

Konta the last remaining Brit and not the favourite to progress either. Think we could get used to this scenario for a few years unfortunately where there's no GB representation in the 2nd week of a slam (or potentially round 3 in this case).

Day 4

Rod Laver Arena, from 12am

V. Kuzmova versus E. Svitolina (6)
S. Wawrinka versus M. Raonic (16)
S. Halep (1) versus S. Kenin
From 8am
E. Bouchard versus S. Williams (16)
N. Djokovic (1) versus J. Tsonga (WC)

Margaret Court Arena, from 12am
I. Karlovic versus K. Nishikori (8)
N. Osaka (4) versus T. Zidansek
A. Cornet versus V. Williams
From 8am
A. Zverev (4) versus J. Chardy
J. Konta versus G. Muguruza (18)

Melbourne Arena, from 12am
M. Brengle versus Ka. Pliskova (7)
A. Potapova versus M. Keys (17)
H. Chung (24) versus P. Herbert
Not before 7am
A. Popyrin (WC) versus D. Thiem (7)

1573 Arena, from 12am
C. Giorgi (27) versus I. Swiatek (Q)
E. Mertens (12) versus M. Gasparyan
F. Fognini (12) versus L. Mayer
T. Daniel versus D. Shapovalov (25)

Court 3, from 12am
B. Andreescu (Q) versus A. Sevastova (13)
B. Coric (11) versus M. Fucsovics
A. Bolt (WC) versus G. Simon (29)
C. Suárez Navarro (23) versus D. Yastremska

Court 7, from 12am
Men's Doubles (J Murray)
Women's Doubles
D. Goffin (21) versus M. Copil
Men's Doubles

Court 8, from 12am
Q. Wang (21) versus A. Krunic
P. Kohlschreiber (32) versus J. Sousa
R. Harrison versus D. Medvedev (15)

Court 13, from 12am
Women's Doubles
I. Ivashka versus P. Carreno Busta (23)
L. Pouille (28) versus M. Marterer

Court 15, from 12am
Men's Doubles (Skupski brothers)
L. Siegemund versus S. Hsieh (28)
S. Zhang versus Kr. Pliskova
Women's Doubles

Court 20, from 12am
Women's Doubles
T. Bacsinszky versus N. Vikhlyantseva (Q)
E. Donskoy versus F. Krajinovic

I certainly wouldn't mind a ticket on Rod Laver tonight - that's a great line up for just the 2nd round.

Konta the last remaining Brit and not the favourite to progress either. Think we could get used to this scenario for a few years unfortunately where there's no GB representation in the 2nd week of a slam (or potentially round 3 in this case).

Day 4

Rod Laver Arena, from 12am

V. Kuzmova versus E. Svitolina (6)
S. Wawrinka versus M. Raonic (16)
S. Halep (1) versus S. Kenin
From 8am
E. Bouchard versus S. Williams (16)
N. Djokovic (1) versus J. Tsonga (WC)

Margaret Court Arena, from 12am
I. Karlovic versus K. Nishikori (8)
N. Osaka (4) versus T. Zidansek
A. Cornet versus V. Williams
From 8am
A. Zverev (4) versus J. Chardy
J. Konta versus G. Muguruza (18)

Melbourne Arena, from 12am
M. Brengle versus Ka. Pliskova (7)
A. Potapova versus M. Keys (17)
H. Chung (24) versus P. Herbert
Not before 7am
A. Popyrin (WC) versus D. Thiem (7)

1573 Arena, from 12am
C. Giorgi (27) versus I. Swiatek (Q)
E. Mertens (12) versus M. Gasparyan
F. Fognini (12) versus L. Mayer
T. Daniel versus D. Shapovalov (25)

Court 3, from 12am
B. Andreescu (Q) versus A. Sevastova (13)
B. Coric (11) versus M. Fucsovics
A. Bolt (WC) versus G. Simon (29)
C. Suárez Navarro (23) versus D. Yastremska

Court 7, from 12am
Men's Doubles (J Murray)
Women's Doubles
D. Goffin (21) versus M. Copil
Men's Doubles

Court 8, from 12am
Q. Wang (21) versus A. Krunic
P. Kohlschreiber (32) versus J. Sousa
R. Harrison versus D. Medvedev (15)

Court 13, from 12am
Women's Doubles
I. Ivashka versus P. Carreno Busta (23)
L. Pouille (28) versus M. Marterer

Court 15, from 12am
Men's Doubles (Skupski brothers)
L. Siegemund versus S. Hsieh (28)
S. Zhang versus Kr. Pliskova
Women's Doubles

Court 20, from 12am
Women's Doubles
T. Bacsinszky versus N. Vikhlyantseva (Q)
E. Donskoy versus F. Krajinovic

Which matches are you most looking forward to?

I thought Svitolina and Monfils was just a rumour, apparently not...

Didn't hear that. Is he watching her match? I knew she split with that English cricketer a while back.

How do we see the future of British tennis then? Asking as a part-timer. Do we have anything coming through?

So so. It'll be a while before we get a Murray where it would be a shock if they didn't make the latter stages (when fit), but we're currently at a stage where we'll probably get more numbers in slam draws, albeit most will be expected to lose early.

A few promising youngsters coming through on the men's side, the best hope being Jack Draper. Emma Raducanu is probably the best prospect on either side, but she just turned 16 last month, still competes in the juniors and only has very limited pro tournament experience.

Last edited:
Didn't hear that. Is he watching her match? I knew she split with that English cricketer a while back.

Yeah, sat with her coach. I read the other week that they'd been pictured together a lot over the off season as well apparently.

She looked very good there in that match as well, looks like she's put a fair bit of muscle on. Potential fourth round match against Keys could be a belter.

Nishikori beats 39 year old karlovic in a 5 set epic. Can't see him having much left for the later stages given his first two matches.
Wawrinka 1-1 in sets with raonic

Wawrinka into his 4th tiebreaker

Raonic wins

Last edited:
Still catching up now and up to the evening session which I know went very long on Margaret Court Arena as the Konta match was still ongoing around 3pm, so 2am local time.

She's not among my favourite players, but Halep really is great value. Another good match there and recovered from a break down in the decider against young Kenin when it looked over. There's been so many memorable 3 set matches she's been involved in in the last couple of years. Interesting 3rd round match up against Venus next.

Still catching up now and up to the evening session which I know went very long on Margaret Court Arena as the Konta match was still ongoing around 3pm, so 2am local time.

She's not among my favourite players, but Halep really is great value. Another good match there and recovered from a break down in the decider against young Kenin when it looked over. There's been so many memorable 3 set matches she's been involved in in the last couple of years. Interesting 3rd round match up against Venus next.

Apparently it was 3.15am which is ridiculous. Just as well they do have a day off, but that doesn't help anyone.

Not of you see serving as good as this in the women's game. Only one break so far.

Very rare. Broken in the first and last game.

I'm a big fan of Muguruza and went into this match not minding who won, but I do feel a bit deflated now, so I guess I did actually Konta to win - or perhaps it's just because one had to lose. What a match though, the best match of the tournament by far, certainly on the women's side anyway, just a shame there was very few left to see it at that crazy time. Think that's the best both have played since Wimbledon 2017 and hopefully Jo will be able to carry that through to the Middle East and US March swing and get herself back into the seeds by FO / Wimbledon. Great level throughout and well done Garbine - just hope that doesn't cost her going forward.

On a brighter note, I did get my first coupon up of the week and am into profit @chopsfc007

Apparently it was 3.15am which is ridiculous.
Crazy mate.

I'm a big fan of Muguruza and went into this match not minding who won, but I do feel a bit deflated now, so I guess I did actually Konta to win - or perhaps it's just because one had to lose. What a match though, the best match of the tournament by far, certainly on the women's side anyway, just a shame there was very few left to see it at that crazy time. Think that's the best both have played since Wimbledon 2017 and hopefully Jo will be able to carry that through to the Middle East and US March swing and get herself back into the seeds by FO / Wimbledon. Great level throughout and well done Garbine - just hope that doesn't cost her going forward.

On a brighter note, I did get my first coupon up of the week and am into profit @chopsfc007

Crazy mate.
Not bad I was looking foward to Sharapova vs wozniaki but I think it's on to late even for me

Back