SMB Photography Competition: Round 3: Growth - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

not spavin

March's theme - discussion

I've had a couple of thoughts on the theme for March, and reckon there's 3 ways to tackle it;
- a theme loosely based on a phrase (like 'food for thought')
- a theme based based around a single word or object (like 'earth')
- a theme based around a specific technique or style (like 'black and white', 'portraits' etc.)

I'm veering towards the last option as I think it would give us all an excuse to read up on / try a specific style of photography that might be outside our comfort zone, but it could also make the competition a bit of a technical exercise and that might be off-putting for some.

Any thoughts?

Re: March's theme - discussion

I don't see a problem with the last option as long as you keep it so that anybody can use the technique whether they are using a simple compact point and shoot or an all singing all dancing SLR.

Ultimately it is your choice and it is up to the entrants how they want to interpret it.

I think the key thing is to keep the theme loose enough to allow a large range of interpretation - although it makes it much harder for the non-creative ***** like me. I think the first couple of themes have been nice and broad, whilst still challenging.

I think the key thing is to keep the theme loose enough to allow a large range of interpretation - although it makes it much harder for the non-creative ***** like me. I think the first couple of themes have been nice and broad, whilst still challenging.

this

Well I think most people would understand portrait to mean "depicting a likeness of a person". What would you say it meant just out of interest. :)

I think he means farmyard animals. I wouldn't enquire too rigorously

Well I think most people would understand portrait to mean "depicting a likeness of a person". What would you say it meant just out of interest. :)

There are many possible interpretations, same as any theme really. It's not prescriptive. Moot point like, it won't be the theme.

I would have killed two birds with one stone and took some pics of the hores and dogs. Good for the compo and it keeps our lass happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back