Sky Stream

...any good?

Trying to sort a TV package for an elderly lady. She currently has a TV with a piece of metal on top as an ariel. Now not getting a signal at all and this could be the time to upgrade, but I'm a TV phobe and am interested in other recommendations.

Sky Glass ....New TV included I think.
( she is a Sky broadband (only) customer currently)

Sky Q, what I have so could possibly help her but she doesn't want a dish ( this could be overcome maybe)

Sky Stream, no dish, but I know nothing of it, any good?

I've got sky glass and although it took some getting used to I love it now. New TV is included and it was cheaper than the price I was paying (got it at renewal rather than a new customer)

Will an aerial fitted to roof be better? does the lady need sky and it's recurring and usually increasing cost?
I don't know the answer to that question regarding an aerial to the roof. But I can find out.
She doesn't need sky as has been happy with her four channels BBC 1 and 2, itv and c4. But she is sort of at the stage of needing a new TV. She will have sky broadband.
An aerial or Satellite dish and use freeview or freesat, that would be better for an elderly lady.

Simple and less complex, unless she's techy and needs broadband and other stuff.
She needs a router and is getting a sky router, but now her TV doesn't work (has no signal) she is looking to perhaps replace her TV or at least get her current ( 20 year old?) TV working with a signal.
She isn't techy but can use the Internet and mobile phone.

Last edited:
...any good?

Trying to sort a TV package for an elderly lady. She currently has a TV with a piece of metal on top as an ariel. Now not getting a signal at all and this could be the time to upgrade, but I'm a TV phobe and am interested in other recommendations.

Sky Q, what I have so could possibly help her but she doesn't want a dish ( this could be overcome maybe)

Sky Stream is the best quality pic of them all, but I suspect it won't matter for an elderly lady! Interface could be too complex also.

Stay away from Sky Glass, it is just basically Sky Stream with a shitty TV bundled in.

If you needs to get a dish installed, I agree with others just get an aerial installed for her and a cheap-ish TV, and she is set.

I don't know the answer to that question regarding an aerial to the roof. But I can find out.
She doesn't need sky as has been happy with her four channels BBC 1 and 2, itv and c4. But she is sort of at the stage of needing a new TV. She will have sky broadband.

She needs a router and is getting a sky router, but now her TV doesn't work (has no signal) she is looking to perhaps replace her TV or at least get her current ( 20 year old?) TV working with a signal.
She isn't techy but can use the Internet and mobile phone.
Has she got a CRT tv😜 A new TV and connect to the router will give her free view, iplayer and loads of other apps.

Freeview is digital, but comes through your aerial.

What does she watch? Assuming she has hdmi on her tv something like a fire tv stick lets you watch all the main stations either live or on catchup (iplayer, itvx etc)
The four main channels mostly.

She has moved and now can't get any signal at all on her TV. She has borrowed my little 12" type TV, but although tuned in, it seems a bit random on whether the channels can be found. ( freeview only, as old fashioned).

I know sky stream is new and uses WiFi I think and no dish but I guess she might need a new TV for it????

Sky Glass you get a free TV which could be ideal?

Sky q , she could buy a new TV unless you could use sky q on a TV that is currently nit getting a signal.

Thanks for replies everybody

Have Sky Glass, live in a no dish allowed place so it was a perfect solution for us. A better one would have been Sky Stream which was released after we had signed up for the kernt.

...any good?

Sky stream is good if you don’t need a new tv. Glass if you do. Problem with glass/stream is you get no tv if your broadband goes down. Don’t think stream has an aerial connector as backup either.

Sky stream is good if you don’t need a new tv. Glass if you do. Problem with glass/stream is you get no tv if your broadband goes down. Don’t think stream has an aerial connector as backup either.
I needed a new TV like so it suited me and was the only option at the time. Now that Stream is here I would have just got that instead.

The whole set up needs some refresh mind. The amount of times I have to unplug at mains and start again is stupid. Yes, it’s a first world problem but it is a pretty basic expectation to turn your TV on and for it to work.

Stream is good if you don't need a new tv, but glass should be avoided even IF you need a new tv...better getting stream and a better tv.

It does have an aerial socket btw.

I needed a new TV like so it suited me and was the only option at the time. Now that Stream is here I would have just got that instead.

The whole set up needs some refresh mind. The amount of times I have to unplug at mains and start again is stupid. Yes, it’s a first world problem but it is a pretty basic expectation to turn your TV on and for it to work.
Yeah that’s pretty poor. I don’t work on the sky tv boxes any more but there’s been at least 10 updates to Glass now. They should have ironed out all the crashing bugs now. Glass/stream was made more complex as there’s a lot of new Comcast tech in them that never went in to Q.

Back