Sky just asked the question...

Mr Redknapp

Striker
And I've often wondered why do Scousers not play Cricket at the highest level? I know Riedy likes his cricket put he's from Runcorn.

Last edited:

Money is a factor & Liverpool is a lot like Sunderland - very very football orientated. But for a region with such strong sporting history it is odd, on the surface, that there hasn’t been more Scousers play at the highest level, likewise with golf. Beneath the surface though there is a healthy amateur and club scene and there’s been loads of top flight cricketers come from the surrounding areas, although admittedly most would be classed as Lancashire & not Merseyside itself. Simon Kerrigan for instance, born in Preston and plays club cricket for Ormskirk. Tom Smith is the last Liverpool born top flight cricketer. I think the fact we don’t have a County ground or major county based here is a big reason. Lancashire use a few of the local grounds as out grounds, Liverpool, Southport and Northern in Crosby just a few to have held Lancs games in the recent past, but it’s not the same.

Paywall unfortunately, but good article about Ormskirk CC, have 8 alumi as county cricketers currently

They’re well known for paying players & having lots of money behind them, more than most in the LDCC I think, so I’d take what’s said in that article with a pinch of salt. That said they’re a decent club with very strong sides down to 3rd XI level and games against them are generally good natured & very competitive.

Back