Sir Ian Botham appreciation thread

always liked beefy as unlike people like Vaughan he isn’t trying to be over critical for the attention

And he’s Australia

Compare him to Vaughan, takeaway the accent and you’d think he’s Australian, so far up their arse it’s untrue

All because he works over there every winter

When I got into cricket in 1981 I would play cricket with me brother on Ford Estate, he was Bob Willis and me Ian Botham. I absolutely worshipped him. The way he came in and thrashed McDermott for three sixes off his first three balls...NO ONE did that! Good luck Beef
Loved him as a cricketer, but as a person I dislike him more than most. He's a bit of a kernt really.
He’s got flaws-who hasn’t- but he has saved lives through his fund raising for leukaemia which was a killer of kids when he first started. For this alone he is to be deeply admired, for all the pain he put his body through time after time.
I don’t believe him to be a kernt at all.

Last edited:
His ability to turn a match around, whether it was Sunday League, County Championship or Test Match, was unmatched in his day.

There was a time where I thought he was conceited and up himself, but that, I soon realised, was a small part of the arses he surrounded himself with for a while, but a huge part press harassment and outright lies.

I don't think he ever pretended to be as articulate as his colleagues but he did capture a sort of instinctive feeling that England supporters had in the moment.

Thank goodness we still have his arthritic footpad ads still airing.

His ability to turn a match around, whether it was Sunday League, County Championship or Test Match, was unmatched in his day.

There was a time where I thought he was conceited and up himself, but that, I soon realised, was a small part of the arses he surrounded himself with for a while, but a huge part press harassment and outright lies.

I don't think he ever pretended to be as articulate as his colleagues but he did capture a sort of instinctive feeling that England supporters had in the moment.

Thank goodness we still have his arthritic footpad ads still airing.

You are bound to be a bit when you are that good though

Didn't realise he was off as well.

His commentary might be a bit sluggish these days, but to get a legend's thoughts on what he would do in certain situations was worth a small part.

Gower and Botham to join TMS?
They can replace Swan and Dagnall I hope.

When I got into cricket in 1981 I would play cricket with me brother on Ford Estate, he was Bob Willis and me Ian Botham. I absolutely worshipped him. The way he came in and thrashed McDermott for three sixes off his first three balls...NO ONE did that! Good luck Beef

He’s got flaws-who hasn’t- but he has saved lives through his fund raising for leukaemia which was a killer of kids when he first started. For this alone he is to be deeply admired, for all the pain he put his body through time after time.
I don’t believe him to be a kernt at all.
Do I know you? Playing cricket up ford estate in 81 time, was that on hylton road field? I played cricket on the rubber mats there

Back